CanJam 2009

Asr

We were thinking of a cigar meet by the pool some evening which, other than the alley of the Hilton, is the only place possible for an event like this. I just can't get my act together enough to run this down but will try in the coming weeks.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the GM70 has a name now? Is it available, in any way, shape, or form?

And yes, I remember that post. "Frank Cooter" and "3 box headphone amp" have been on my radar ever since.

He said he'd build me one, but then I spent my money on other things. I think the estimated cost at the time was around $4500. I'm pretty sure he gave, or was going to give, schematics to Stephen, and at the time seemed open to sharing info with anyone interested. I didn't get the impression he was interested in any kind of commercial effort, and simply enjoyed building things. I should add that it was also quite beautiful.

If I recall correctly he was willing to share the schematic.

He said he'd build me one, but then I spent my money on other things. I think the estimated cost at the time was around $4500. I'm pretty sure he gave, or was going to give, schematics to Stephen, and at the time seemed open to sharing info with anyone interested. I didn't get the impression he was interested in any kind of commercial effort, and simply enjoyed building things. I should add that it was also quite beautiful.

These are my impressions too. There are ways to get a version of this amp. None of them are inexpensive. :(

Anyway, I was going to recommend that people bringing bottles should consider using wine shipping/mailing boxes like this one:

4pk_styro_s.jpg

I used a case box to bring 12 22oz Bear Republic beers to a Florida meet. Checked the box and had no problems.

Excellent idea! I see you have some expertise in this area

Don't worry about bringing drink. Beverage Warehouse is only 3.5 miles away. I'll be happy to give you a ride if you'd like. :P

Well I may also take you up on that offer to bring some things back that are not available locally.

I guess I will bring a Port and a Grappa, will that work for you scotch drinkers? I know next to nothing about scotch and whiskies so rather than commit a Can Jam faux pas I will keep the underground Can Jam motto of "now for something different". I never see anyone post any Ports yet I think some of my humble stash should do real well with the cigars by the pool.

I guess I will bring a Port and a Grappa, will that work for you scotch drinkers? I know next to nothing about scotch and whiskies so rather than commit a Can Jam faux pas I will keep the underground Can Jam motto of "now for something different". I never see anyone post any Ports yet I think some of my humble stash should do real well with the cigars by the pool.

If you bring it, they will drink. :)

Excellent call.

If you bring it, they will drink. :)

QFT

Hmm, I originally wasn't going to be able to go, but when I got to work today, lo and behold, we have all received two extra days paid vacation.

The days picked are given out by order of seniority, which places me pretty much dead last. Hopefully no one picks those dates, and I will start looking for lodging...

Perhaps this may be of some help----

HEAD FI

Well, gang, it now appears with a relative degree of certainty that I will not be able to attend. I am deeply disappointed, as I very much want to hang out and catch up with this group. Of course, I will remain ready to depart at a moment's notice should counsel be needed because then-present counsel are 1) too inebriated or 2) too incarcerated.

You won't need pickup or dropoff. The hotel is at the airport. This makes it much more feasible, ja? :)

(I am also currently in negotiations with the spousal unit.)

Ok well my wife seems reasonably open to the idea but does think I'm nuts to spend 10 hours flying and $310 for a round trip lasting 24 hrs

Well, gang, it now appears with a relative degree of certainty that I will not be able to attend. I am deeply disappointed, as I very much want to hang out and catch up with this group. Of course, I will remain ready to depart at a moment's notice should counsel be needed because then-present counsel are 1) too inebriated or 2) too incarcerated.

:(

So if I blow a gasket and decide to fly in for 24 hours will anyone pick me up (around noon) let me sleep in their room and take me to the airport at noon on Sunday?

:prettyprincess:

Another bad news, good news, good news kind of morning. :palm::) :) I think you need to assume that all counsel present in LA will meet one or both of your criteria at all times, Dinny, so we need you! I hope you can come up with some last-minute way to make this work.

As for Dread and Stretch, you guys are finally thinking right. The hotel at the airport thing makes the short trip easier and I am sure that there will be couches or floor space available for the small amount of sleeping time. If Friday is a must-work day, then you hop the redeye, take sleeping pills to get some rest, arrive ready to rock Saturday morning, rage, sleep a little, rage a little more, then depart Sunday afternoon. Sleeping pills will not be needed for the flight home. ;D

EDIT: more wordy than boo, but same idea. :P