CanJam 2009

Asr

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife just vetoed CanJam, even when I threw in Disney and Lego Land for the kids... :(

I can sympathize,

Currently my pitch to Joanne of "Spend a weekend, trapped in an airport hotel, full of drunk headphone geeks" doesn't seem to entice her for some reason . Even the free bus shuttle to Manhattan Beach, to a Mall with a Fry's didn't persuade her either!

I can sympathize,

Currently my pitch to Joanne of "Spend a weekend, trapped in an airport hotel, full of drunk headphone geeks" doesn't seem to entice her for some reason . Even the free bus shuttle to Manhattan Beach, to a Mall with a Fry's didn't persuade her either!

Offer a shuttle to Fashion Island in Newport Beach. It will make her happy but could cost you multiple Blue Hawaiis worth. That is the only mall in the world I would agree to go shopping at, then again what I would be looking at isn't in Neiman Marcus or Cartier. The locals sure look pretty there.

hey, i have a question for those who fly a lot (i haven't been on a plane in nearly 15 years): can i bring a bottle or two of alcohol in checked baggage?

Yes, but pack it well, the airline baggage handlers like to toss stuff around.

Leave the gear and come as you are. There will be so much cool gear both form members and vendors I doubt that you will find yourself missing your gear. If you need a place to stay, post on the other site a desire to share/ split the cost of a room. I am sure there will be a few takers.

I'm curious what Frank Cooter is bringing. The amp he had at Mayberry was one of my favs from any meet. He posted this in the CanJam thread on hf:

Just signed up for a ticket and a hotel room. Really looking forward to seeing everyone-particularly the East Coast crowd I met at "Mayberry". Sorry Vicki, I wont be bringing the GM70 amp. I will however, be bringing something else that might interest you. I've been working on a Stax amp that uses transmitting tubes and output transformers. It's a bit different from any of the commercial offerings. It's still a "work in progress" but I think it's time to let it out of the house a bit. I'm no Stax expert so I'd really appreciate some knowledgable input and criticism. See you all in LA!

Nate,

I didn't see O2s on the gear list. I can bring the MK1s as well.

Here's my post from Mayberry re Frank's amp right after I heard it for the first time. It sounded amazing with every headphone we threw at it. It was the first time I genuinely appreciated the HP2s, and though next to foo_me's Zanden in the room, it proved itself a stunning K1000 amp. I think he's a real interesting DIYer.

Too much amazing gear to begin to talk about. One post for now: seriously amazing K1000 homebrew amp (built last week). This amp uses large Russian GM70 transmitting triodes as output tubes. GM70s are driven by 6BX7 television vertical amplifier tubes from the early 1960s The two tubes are coupled by interstage transformers. It uses dual high-voltage power supplies, using mercury-vapor rectifiers run into LCLCLC filters. The GM70 filaments are powered by a standard industrial "brute force" power supply. Per the builder, Frank Cooter, the circuit is straight out of 1937. All I can say is it sounds damn good with the K1000s, beautifully natural with a smooth high end (loosing that sometimes digital feel the K1000s treble gives), and beefy, but clean bottom end.

The builder and his amp:

DSCN1079.jpg

I haven't yet had time with the famed emm labs/zanden combo, but the Cooter amp (it has no name) pretty much blew me away.

Since head-casers like to drink a "wee dram' now ad again I think we should start a liquor list for the meet. I think that would be more useful than a gear list.

I will be bringing a bottle of BMH 23 and Sazerac 18 Rye.

This might be a good idea. I will probably buy some liquor out there to bring home, so I will have something for the CanJam, just don't know what it will be.

Great news that Frank Cooter will be coming and with a DIY stat amp to boot! If anyone could come up with a unique take on things, it would be Frank.

As for the booze list, here were my basic plans:

1 bottle of whisky

1 bottle of whiskey

2-3 bottles of wine

Many bottles of beer

Since head-casers like to drink a "wee dram' now ad again I think we should start a liquor list for the meet. I think that would be more useful than a gear list.

I don't think I have anything exciting to bring in the way of drink, but I have more cigars than I know what to do with and can bring a nice selection. Legal and non-legal.

Also look forward to meeting everyone in the Head-Case crew.

I am not sure what isn't available here but is there, but growlers would seem impossible to bring. Cannot carry them on and packing them would be very risky because of seal issues.

Anyway, I was going to recommend that people bringing bottles should consider using wine shipping/mailing boxes like this one:

4pk_styro_s.jpg

I used a case box to bring 12 22oz Bear Republic beers to a Florida meet. Checked the box and had no problems.

Great idea! Anyone wishing to ship bottles home for any reason, pm me because I have lots of these wine shipping boxes in anything from twos to cases, they are here for the asking.

Also, transporting beer in baggage may be risky with the pressurized baggage compartments. Chilling the beer once you get to Can Jam will be a challenge as well. A bathtub full of ice and beer may have the Hilton folks trying to surcharge you. That was a nice and generous offer though but too risky for you me thinks.

Edited by Augsburger

Great news that Frank Cooter will be coming and with a DIY stat amp to boot! If anyone could come up with a unique take on things, it would be Frank.

As for the booze list, here were my basic plans:

1 bottle of whisky

1 bottle of whiskey

2-3 bottles of wine

Many bottles of beer

I'll be bringing 2 growlers of Telegraph Brewery beer and probably 6 bottles of wine.

I don't think I have anything exciting to bring in the way of drink, but I have more cigars than I know what to do with and can bring a nice selection. Legal and non-legal.

Also look forward to meeting everyone in the Head-Case crew.

Don't worry about bringing drink. Beverage Warehouse is only 3.5 miles away. I'll be happy to give you a ride if you'd like. :P

Smoking cigars will be fun. However, this is California. It could be challenging to find a place to smoke.

So the GM70 has a name now? Is it available, in any way, shape, or form?

And yes, I remember that post. "Frank Cooter" and "3 box headphone amp" have been on my radar ever since.

AFAIK it's always been called the GM70. Also AFAIK, Frank's is the only example. I'm sure one is available if you make Frank an offer he can't refuse.