Luxman P1 vs Headamp GSX

Aimless1

As usual I'm at a disadvantage as I never seem to be in the right place to hear the gear I'm interested in. I've pretty much ruled out tube amps (yes, they sound wonderful) due to the placement of the amp in conjunction with where i sit. It's a heat issue. So solid state it is.

Wondering if anyone here has has the pleasure of listening to both of these fine amps and can share their respective strengths/weaknesses. YES, I know the GSX can accomodate balanced cans. Yep, I realize alot of folks have not heard the P1. If it matters I'll be feeding it with the Bel Canto Dac3. Any other options I should be considering at this price point?

BTW, I know I can order both and return the one(s) I don't care for. I'm trying to avoid that. I'm getting too old for the hassle. Your help is appreciated.

Edited by n_maher

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Bel Canto DAC3 and GS-X and I love the experience. I've also heard the P1 though only in passing and only with R10s that I'm not that familiar with. I have heard R10s out of my GS-X as well and I would say that the P1 is on the euphoric side of things while the GS-X is a wire with gain. It's up to you as to which you prefer.

Although I get euphoric listening to the P-1, I think you mean euphonic, as in something exhibiting euphony. I too agree that the P-1 is more pleasing to the ear by being less dry and neutral, but the P-1 is still fast, detailed, and very natural sounding. It is not warm or mushy, and when sourced by my EMM Labs gear it delivered a spectacular sound.

I have spent less time with the GSX but it is closer to my Beta22 on the same characteristics. If you are looking for pretty purely neutral but not boring then either of those will get you closer it. I do happen to have a very nice Beta22 for sale, if you are at all interested. :)

Although I get euphoric listening to the P-1, I think you mean euphonic, as in something exhibiting euphony. I too agree that the P-1 is more pleasing to the ear by being less dry and neutral, but the P-1 is still fast, detailed, and very natural sounding. It is not warm or mushy, and when sourced by my EMM Labs gear it delivered a spectacular sound.

I have spent less time with the GSX but it is closer to my Beta22 on the same characteristics. If you are looking for pretty purely neutral but not boring then either of those will get you closer it. I do happen to have a very nice Beta22 for sale, if you are at all interested. :)

You are right, it is a fast and detailed. I was just using the description to demonstrate the difference in sound between the two. They are very different sounding amps. As I've said before, the P-1 is the amp I would love to own and may still one day.

I know Dreadhead really likes his GSX/DAC3 combo. I like the description of the GSX as a wire with a gain.

I haven't really read anything about the EMM Labs (and have not heard it). More research :). Is there a special characteristic that works extremely well with the P1? BTW, saw on the other site yours will be shipped shortly. Congratulations!

I'm horrible with music and sound terms but I do not like cold analytical presentations. I enjoy music that is alive and has vitality. Not warm, but organic.

I know Dreadhead really likes his GSX/DAC3 combo. I like the description of the GSX as a wire with a gain.

I haven't really read anything about the EMM Labs (and have not heard it). More research :). Is there a special characteristic that works extremely well with the P1? BTW, saw on the other site yours will be shipped shortly. Congratulations!

I'm horrible with music and sound terms but I do not like cold analytical presentations. I enjoy music that is alive and has vitality. Not warm, but organic.

The Luxman is a ss amp and should not be confused with a tube amp. I guess in hindsight, at least for me, adopting "euphonic" as a description was a mistake. By your description of the sound you like, you may prefer the Luxman.

The Luxman is a ss amp and should not be confused with a tube amp. I guess in hindsight, at least for me, adopting "euphonic" as a description was a mistake. By your description of the sound you like, you may prefer the Luxman.

I'd say so too. The GS-X + DAC3 is not lush I would say (but I like it that way).

Quite right. Euphonic it is, but to me it actually isn't euphonic it's annoying :) The P1 is not tubey it fast and details there is just something that I generally describe as "fun" about it that is not present in the GS-X, reminds me a bit of the R10s.

I'm not into headphone setups for that "fun" sound I want exactness more but that's me.

I have experience with both amps but there has been five years between the two sessions so direct comparisons are not possible. I liked them both and found them both at the time very musical and accurate. Like Mike, I would like to own a P1 sometime in the near future.

How about hopping a flight to LA on May 29th for CanJam then you can audition them both with your own cans? For such an important decision as this, a mere plane ticket is worth the experience almost as much as the postage and insurance back and forth on an amp you choose to return. Perhaps you may even discover something else that will strike your fancy.

I'd say so too. The GS-X + DAC3 is not lush I would say (but I like it that way).

I've been leaning in the direction of the P-1 for some time now. I love the neutrality of the DAC3 but it looks like the DAC3/GS-X combo may be too neutral for my tastes.

How about hopping a flight to LA on May 29th for CanJam then you can audition them both with your own cans? For such an important decision as this, a mere plane ticket is worth the experience almost as much as the postage and insurance back and forth on an amp you choose to return. Perhaps you may even discover something else that will strike your fancy.

Thought about that last night. Great suggestion. Now to check my work schedule and see if it's a possibility. That said, I've not had the luxury of listening to the items I've purchased before they became mine. May actually be easier for me to drive to Detroit to listen to the P-1 with my DAC3 and my cans than it is to fly out to LA for CanJam, if the owner of the P-1 is willing.

I have heard the EC Zana Deux and Darkvoice 337. Yes, I know they're tube amps. But the P-1 is often described as having a tube like sound. Is it similar?

• 2 weeks later...

It may be nearly impossible to hear one unless you attend CanJam 09. I talked to Todd (TTVJ) today and he started with 10 amps, is down to 3. Not likely to get any more geared for the US market as he will be unable to take their minimum number for manufacturing, which I believe is 50.

From the ttvj.com website: "All international orders (shipping to anywhere outside the United States) ship by the US Postal Service. We offer two options for delivery methods, either USPS Airborne Parcel or USPS Priority International. With USPS Airborne Parcels, orders are usually delivered within 2 weeks, whereas USPS Priority International orders are usually delivered within 1 week. Delivery times are not guaranteed."

Appears as though you can order one directly from Todd. Give him a call.

It may be nearly impossible to hear one unless you attend CanJam 09. I talked to Todd (TTVJ) today and he started with 10 amps, is down to 3. Not likely to get any more geared for the US market as he will be unable to take their minimum number for manufacturing, which I believe is 50.

From the ttvj.com website: "All international orders (shipping to anywhere outside the United States) ship by the US Postal Service. We offer two options for delivery methods, either USPS Airborne Parcel or USPS Priority International. With USPS Airborne Parcels, orders are usually delivered within 2 weeks, whereas USPS Priority International orders are usually delivered within 1 week. Delivery times are not guaranteed."

Appears as though you can order one directly from Todd. Give him a call.

Many thanks for the info, Aimless. I'll shoot Todd a PM.

thanks and best,

k