Tannoy Kensington SE

mulveling

yup, which is why i'll be moving to the Thiel 3.7s as soon as i can afford it.

Those look sweet. Nice, dude.

....and here's your chance - not sure how you feel about black ash, though. :)

AudiogoN ForSale: Thiel 3.7

The Kensingtons were my "pie in the sky" replacements I had planned for the Dimensions. Didn't think I would go for them so soon but when this very local pair came up for sale w/ warranty - it was a good chance so I sold some stuff I thought I never would, to make it happen.

Now I'd better pick future replacements for these. Hmm....the Yorkminsters look nice with extension to 22Hz, 95 db efficiency, and a 12" version of the same driver :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does owning those speakers mean you no longer care about the music? That's a horrible listening position :)

That's a side surround. He clearly has five of them and is enjoying a multichannel SACD recording. Also, the other identical twin blonde is out of shot limbering up in the "rumpus room."

looks like blue. nothing wrong with black, in my opinion.

I've had Red, Black, Blue and Gold (Centenary?) version, and I didn't like any of them. They're all blends. IIRC, Red and Black have an indeterminate amount of neutral grain spirits in them. Blue and Gold consist completely of single malts. The end result is so chaotic it's hard to identify any one flavor. Blue is bad in this manner and Gold even worse. I think the only blend I liked less was the truly awful Chivas Century of Malts, which is made up of 100 malts. :palm:

I readily admit I consume the products of Islay and Skye, and not much else so I am more than a little biased on this subject.

Haha, that's what I get for leaving open dozens of browser tabs logged in to stuff, then sleeping in past 1pm :)

Dude I've already bought her TWO purses this year. Shoes maybe, but no more damn purses!

Back to more audio-related things - I'm completely amazed at how these speakers are the most imposing large boxes I've ever owned, while sounding LESS like a box than anything I've heard. The sheer presence they project is unreal in its realism ;)

The TD10s had a -6db roll-off point at 39Hz - a bit high for a large-ish tower. This didn't previously bother me since it was still so much better than what I'd owned before - either plenty of less controlled bass, poorly integrated bass, an even higher rolloff point, or a combination thereof. The TD10s were so comparatively balanced and splendidly integrated from top to bottom. I even had a failed attempt at integrating a Martin Logan Depth i subwoofer. Never got the combination to sound a worthwhile degree better than the TD10s alone for 2ch music (it did provide a substantial improvement with movies), though truthfully I probably gave up a bit too soon (in part to finance the Kensingtons).

Overall, the TD10s had a sonic signature that was highly neutral. However, and possibly partially due to the early rolloff, it was on the clean/lean side of neutral if anything. Perhaps that's why they sounded so stunning with the rebuilt vintage Heathkit W4 tube amps, which embody every GOOD stereotype you've heard about lush, warm, tubey mids - they were able to coax truly glorious mids out of the TD10s. Too bad these amps were also somewhat lacking in bass slam. I really should have tried to bi-amp with the McIntosh MC2100 and W4s for the best of both worlds :)

Now with the Kensingtons, I'm hearing sound from them that makes me realize why Tannoy targets the Dimension line towards HT use with a sub. The Kensington rolloff point is 29Hz, and there may be other factors are involved too but there is a significant difference here, for the better. They both use a 10" driver so the low-end difference must be from the cabinet: 105 Liter volume for the Kensington, 67 L for the TD10. That and the crossover (and possibly the Alnico magnet) also makes for an extra 3db of efficiency, to 93db/Watt. I'll be able to hit LOUD levels of 100db+ at my seating position from a 25-Watt tube amp. For speakers, I'm moving into the camp that bigger truly is better.

Thanks for compering TD10 with TK.

I have Tannoy Td12 and I am wondering what is the diffrence between Dimmension line and prestige line.Is dual concetric same in those 2 lines?Is Kensigton going to be better then TD12 with 12 inch DC and also bigger cabinet,weighing almost double 56kg?My eyes are lid on Tannoy Canterbury or Westminster.I have pretty big room 6x8x4 metr and need to fill the room without trying.How diffrent is present line SE and previous HE?I heard they now use a lot better components inside then before and it makes big diffrence in sound.I can purchase Kennsington for very good money but I am afraid there won't be enough improvements to got to all these troubles,buying-selling.

I believe the biggest difference is that the Prestige line is transmission line loaded and horn based, whereas the Dimension line is more traditionally reflex loaded.

Are all models of Prestige line horn loaded even Glenairs?

Glenairs are twin-rear ported just like the Dimensions. Most Prestiges are distributed front-ported, except the Yorkminster which is twin-rear ported and the Westminster which is a horn enclosure.

The Kensington, Yorkminster, Canterbury, and Westminster are the only current Tannoys to use the Alnico magnet and pepperpot tweeter waveguide. The others use the tulip waveguide.

I haven't heard the TD12 so I can't compare to the Kensington. On paper, it should compare favorably. The local dealer has repeatedly told me his favorite of the Dimension line is the TD10 - I think he mentioned something about the voicing and difficulty controlling the bass (which would likely be very room dependant). Of the TD10, TD12, Glenair, Glenair 10, and Kensington, his favorites are the Glenair and Kensington. From my experience, the Kensington has a sweeter midrange (not that there's anything wrong with the TD10 mids which sound very clean & neutral) and a bigger, more "out of the box" sound than the TD10, and also extends noticably deeper. The Glenair 10 sounds pretty darn similar to the TD10.

I get the impression that the Turnberry SE and Glenair (the big 15" one) are favorites at their respective price-points. However, the pepperpot/alnico setup (of which the Kensington is the most affordably priced) may afford the sweeter mids, and always go bigger if you can afford it :D

Awesome reading about Tannoy.Thanks!I have an experience with TD12 that I can't go high volume when I play some vocals.In higher volume vocals are not listanable.I am thinking it maybe partially from underpowering them with Naim 250 70w and then my room acoustics.I am just going to get very netral gear Audia Flight pre and Audia 50 with 50w in class A.I will also try amplification from Pass and Audio Research.I am debating whether to get Kensingtons or save money for Westminsters or Canterburies.I am not sure how Kensingtons would fill out the room.

Awesome reading about Tannoy.Thanks!I have an experience with TD12 that I can't go high volume when I play some vocals.In higher volume vocals are not listanable.I am thinking it maybe partially from underpowering them with Naim 250 70w and then my room acoustics.I am just going to get very netral gear Audia Flight pre and Audia 50 with 50w in class A.I will also try amplification from Pass and Audio Research.I am debating whether to get Kensingtons or save money for Westminsters or Canterburies.I am not sure how Kensingtons would fill out the room.

That is very odd! Runs completely counter to my experience with any of the Tannoy DC drivers, much less a high-end model like the TD12. The Dimension series in my experience (TD10, TDC-1) has particularly stunningly clean and life-like vocal reproduction - in fact I'd consider that its greatest strength.

I've run the TD10s off of 3 different tube amps (20, 35, and 70 Watts/ch) and 2 SS amps (105, 400 Watts/ch) - never experienced a problem at my listening levels on any amp. Vinyl, CD, and SACD sources. Room is fairly large at roughly 21'x30'x10', but I do sit fairly close (9ft from each speaker), which reduces the power requirements. I'd estimate my "loud" listening sessions hit peaks in the upper-90s dB. Get a dB meter if you can to get an idea of your power requirements (you can kind of "guesstimate" from that). Also get a knowledgeable someone to listen in and give you opinions/ideas on the issue. Hopefully it's something cheap/easy to replace, and not a problem with the drivers :(

As for the choice on Kensington/Canterbury/Westminster - tough choice! Definitely try to get your ears on a model before you buy. I was not ready to consider the Canterbury/Westminster level but they must be something to behold :)

For a REALLY large room, the Glenair with its 15" driver at under $10K USD would be the relative "budget" option here. Tulip waveguide and no pepperpot, but still all reports I've heard have been very favorable! In a perfect world you could find a dealer with an upgrade policy or a demo Glenair, get them now, and then trade up when you get more cash :)

That is very odd! Runs completely counter to my experience with any of the Tannoy DC drivers, much less a high-end model like the TD12. The Dimension series in my experience (TD10, TDC-1) has particularly stunningly clean and life-like vocal reproduction - in fact I'd consider that its greatest strength.

I've run the TD10s off of 3 different tube amps (20, 35, and 70 Watts/ch) and 2 SS amps (105, 400 Watts/ch) - never experienced a problem at my listening levels on any amp. Vinyl, CD, and SACD sources. Room is fairly large at roughly 21'x30'x10', but I do sit fairly close (9ft from each speaker), which reduces the power requirements. I'd estimate my "loud" listening sessions hit peaks in the upper-90s dB. Get a dB meter if you can to get an idea of your power requirements (you can kind of "guesstimate" from that). Also get a knowledgeable someone to listen in and give you opinions/ideas on the issue. Hopefully it's something cheap/easy to replace, and not a problem with the drivers :(

As for the choice on Kensington/Canterbury/Westminster - tough choice! Definitely try to get your ears on a model before you buy. I was not ready to consider the Canterbury/Westminster level but they must be something to behold :)

For a REALLY large room, the Glenair with its 15" driver at under $10K USD would be the relative "budget" option here. Tulip waveguide and no pepperpot, but still all reports I've heard have been very favorable! In a perfect world you could find a dealer with an upgrade policy or a demo Glenair, get them now, and then trade up when you get more cash :)

I have a problem here in Czech rep because there is no good dealer of Tannoy so I can't listen any of Prestige line except Glenair 10 since they don't carry any other models.:mad:

I have a problem here in Czech rep because there is no good dealer of Tannoy so I can't listen any of Prestige line except Glenair 10 since they don't carry any other models.:mad:

Ah, that sucks! Sorry man :(

Not sure if I should mention I live on the same town block as one of the few Tannoy Prestige dealers in the US :D

Though, with the UK pound being so weak lately - it's not a bad time to import Tannoy from the UK. I just scored a new pair of ST100 SuperTweeters from StoneAudio UK for about $915 USD shipped thanks to Dusty Chalk (they were on sale). Heck, the equivalent prices of even the not-on-sale new speakers are better than USA used/demo prices. The USA distributors here use a > 2x conversion rate of UK pound -> USD, but the current exchange rate is more like < 1.4. Wish I'd thought of that sooner - it's a great time to import. Damn, those SuperTweeters usually go for > $1000 USD on audiogon USED.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,I ahve decided to get Tannoy |Canterbury HE with ST200 since I received a good offer from guy from Austria.On thursday I am going to pick them up.I am excited to finally hear Prestige line speaker at my home.If everything will go well with selling my TD12 tommorow and buying Canterbury on thursday I will post my findings next week.

Ok,I ahve decided to get Tannoy |Canterbury HE with ST200 since I received a good offer from guy from Austria.On thursday I am going to pick them up.I am excited to finally hear Prestige line speaker at my home.If everything will go well with selling my TD12 tommorow and buying Canterbury on thursday I will post my findings next week.

Wow dude - that's some serious gear, nice choices! Color me jealous :)

Nice pickup for whomever snags your TD12, too!