pop/crackle sound when a stepped attenuator traverses steps ?

Spiug31

What is it that generates a pop/crackle sound when a stepped attenuator traverses steps ?

this is happening with my left channel goldpoint stereo volume attenuator, the matching right attennuator in the same amp is unafflicted by this odd effect. One differance I can see between the two attenuators is that the unaffected one has wires linking to chassis ground (xlr pin1) other wise they seem to be wired the same.

left -pop/crackle

spiug31-albums-other-picture679-left-attenuator.jpg

right - no pop/crackle

spiug31-albums-other-picture680-right-attenuator.jpg

n.b. the loudness of the pop/crackle generated when traversing steps increases as the attenuator knob is turned further clockwise. While on a step both attenuators perform the same.

The actual volume of the pop/crackle remains far below the volume of the music presented by the next step of the attenuator.

do these pop/crackles mean any damage is being done ?

Is it just me or do those joints not look so good? I would reflow some of those as they are not so shiny or smooth as I think they should be.

try adding a parallel resistor from the wiper (i.e. output of the pot) to ground see if that fixes the problem.

If it isn`t a symptom of something badly wrong I`m happy enough to leave it as is and enjoy the music :) The theory of contact bounce eases my mind enough.

first time I`ve used multiquote, very useful :)

I use lead free solder, that can make it look like its a cold joint.

Yup, I have some copper solder that looks the same way when the joint cools. I'm tempted to blame the switch but the fact is that there may be nothing really wrong. A call or email to Goldpoint might be worthwhile.

If it were me, I would wire the left one up like the right with the additional grounds.

done but no effect:

ran a wire from an xlr pin 1 to the ground strut on the left attenuator no change in pop/crackle behaviour.

If that didn't work, I would swap L and R attenuators to see if the problem moved or not.

unbinding the attenuators from the chassis to do a full physical swap isn`t something I`ll undertake and I don`t think the right attenuators` hot and cold audio input wires are long enough to reach. If however I can get a pair (or ideally two pairs) of 2 pin extension cables 26"+ long then I`d be willing to try making the swaps via those.

-offtopic-

I see a new smilie has appeared :basement:

;D

done but no effect:

ran a wire from an xlr pin 1 to the ground strut on the left attenuator no change in pop/crackle behaviour.

unbinding the attenuators from the chassis to do a full physical swap isn`t something I`ll undertake and I don`t think the right attenuators` hot and cold audio input wires are long enough to reach. If however I can get a pair (or ideally two pairs) of 2 pin extension cables 26"+ long then I`d be willing to try making the swaps via those.

-offtopic-

I see a new smilie has appeared :basement:

;D

From your pics I couldn't see al the connections to determine how big of pain in the ass this would be to do. Of course its easy to sit here and say I'd do it ;D