What do you think about this setup?

Pidgeon

Hello, I'm going to build a new system, and I need your experience ;).

Let's begin by saying that currently this is my setup:

FLAC -> SB Live! 5.1 -> SONY MDR-V150

which I consider to be real high-end (in fact it comes to an end).

Anyway, I just wanted to step-up, and by reading many comments and reviews, I decided this would have been my next setup:

FLAC -> ESI Juli@ -> Cambridge Audio 840C -> AMB Audio Beta22 Balanced -> APureSound V3 Balanced -> Sennheiser HD-650

Here are some informations:

- I like to listen to different genres of music. Particularly I like Classical music (but I listen to Electronica, Rock, Metal and Jazz, too).

- I would use the 840C only as DAC (I would listen to music only by playing FLAC files through my PC).

- I would compose music by using my PC as DAW.

- I wouldn't have any chance to listen to this setup.

I've chosen the ESI Juli@ because it offers a good technology for audio production (ASIO, GSIF, etc.). Plus, its digital output equal in quality the one from the LynxTwo, as you can read here:

ESI Juli@ – Professional Sound Card

Many people consider the HD-650 to be one of the best headphones in the world, when properly amplified, and this is enough for me.

I'm studying electronics, so I should be able to build a Beta22 :).

I am trying to decide between Benchmark DAC1 and Cambridge 840C, but almost everyone seems to find the 840C to be better than the DAC1 when using the HD-650 and a proper headphone amp.

I am trying to decide between APureSound V3, Zu Mobius and Stefanaudioart Equinox. It seems that APureSound V3 is easier to buy and cheaper than the other cables.

I think there could be a very good sinergy between the elements of this chain.

So, What would you think about my setup?

Eventually, what would you suggest me between the following, and why:

- Cambridge Audio 840C / Benchmark DAC1

- APureSound V3 / Zu Mobius / Stefanaudioart Equinox

Thanks to those who will help me! ;).

Dunno if the 840C as DAC is the best value for just the DAC, but I haven't heard one. And definitely ignore the cables for now unless you have the money to spare, in which case you should add the Enigma Audio cables to your options--PFKMan reviewed APS and Enigma and thought the Enigma was better. Both are very well made cables though.

An 840C is like $1K, right? Man, there's a TON of options in that range...

I haven't read much about the 840C, but I definitely haven't read enough to put it at the front of pack in that price range. But if you've narrowed it down to that or the Benchmark, and everyone says it's better than the Benchmark, then it's an easy choice, no?

Anyways, if you haven't built any amps before, I don't think a Beta22 is your best bet for a beginner project.

Finally, a recabled HD650 isn't far from RS1 or AD2000...

The 840c is certainly a good buy if you want to spin disks and have a useable DAC. However, for a DAC only there are some serious competitors, especially if you expand your search into the pro market. I do prefer the 840c to the Benchmark.

840C is a good current-production DAC; heard Morphsci's, it was solid. I like older stuff such as Parasound, very analog-sounding compared to what I've heard amongst current offerings. Haven't read good things about the DAC1 compared to more vintage-esque DAC's from the 90's.

HD580/HD600 > HD650 for my tastes. Even amped properly the bottom end on 650 was far too bloated and ruined any sort of balance. HD600 is pretty adequate for most genres, maybe lacking "speed" and a little anemic on the low end for rock/metal/electronica.

Cables are not worth the price of admission *blasphemy!*. I'd just stick with the stock HD650 cable (can be used on HD580 and HD600). It's a little more durable, less prone to tangling, seemed to function as a cable should.

Hello, first of all thank for all your answers.

The 840c is certainly a good buy if you want to spin disks and have a useable DAC. However, for a DAC only there are some serious competitors, especially if you expand your search into the pro market. I do prefer the 840c to the Benchmark.

Could you please suggest me better DACs in the same price range of the 840C?

Someone suggested me the Buffalo32s DAC, but I can't find any review on the net...

It would be interesting to see how it compares to the other commercial DACs.

Have you considered electrostatics?

A SRM-T1 and Lambda Pro could be had for less than a $1k if you're patient.

I'd also consider a Pico Amp/Dac and Shure SE530 as pretty hard to beat for minimalism and not having to worry about cables.

Or get both and use the Pico Amp/Dac as source ;-)

The Buffalo32s sold out in 2mins both times it was available.

Hello, first of all thank for all your answers.

Could you please suggest me better DACs in the same price range of the 840C?

Someone suggested me the Buffalo32s DAC, but I can't find any review on the net...

It would be interesting to see how it compares to the other commercial DACs.

I don't know about better as that involves a lot of personal preference. But as I mentioned the Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10, Bel Canto DAC3, Apogee Mini-DAC, Apogee Rosetta 200 (also has an ADC), Mytek has a couple of models. Of these I have only heard the Benchmark, Lavry and Apogees, the others I am going only by specs and price. You really need to hear them yourself as in this price range they are all making compromises and you have to decide what compromises you can live with.

No one has heard the Buffalo32s DAC yet except the guys at Twisted Pear. I did score one which should be shipping next week, so stay tuned.

Any idea on how much would a pre-built with USB input Buff32s cost?

Eleventyfive.

Considering how few Buff32S are in existence, your chances of getting one built are diddly squat right now. But lets do some sums for parts cost......

Buffalo + PSUs $529

USB receiver $75

Transformers $40

Total $644

Now to make it really special and comparable to the other DACs being talked about here, you would want to go for the dual mono (+$60), a SPDIF MUX (+$129) and an optical input (+$18 ).

Total $851

Plus case, IEC input, jacks, wiring...... conservatively $1000 total.

Plus whatever anybody charges you to build it.

Edited by Beefy
Dig up, stupid......

Eleventyfive.

Considering how few Buff32S are in existence, your chances of getting one built are diddly squat right now. But lets do some sums for parts cost......

Buffalo + PSUs $529

USB receiver $75

Transformers $40

Total $644

Now to make it really special and comparable to the other DACs being talked about here, you would want to go for the dual mono (+$60), a SPDIF MUX (+$129) and an optical input (+$18 ).

Total $851

Plus case, IEC input, jacks, wiring...... conservatively $1000 total.

Plus whatever anybody charges you to build it.

For 250 $ more, I could buy a Cambridge Audio 840C...

It would be very interesting to see how the Buffalo32s DAC would compare with the other commercial DACs available.

I'm pretty sure that in the coming weeks some extensive reviews of the Buffalo32s will be written.

I'd be shocked if the cambridge 840c was in the same class as the buff32s

Why? The digital side of the 840c is very good, very similar to the capitole MkII in specifications, and maybe better. The analog output can use improvement, but that is likely the case for the buffalo32s as well from my reading. Anyway, at this point I do not know which one will be better, but I am not dismissing the 840c out-of-hand.

Why someone who would build a Buffallo32s DAC shouldn't write a review of his work?

Not everyone is into writing reviews. I will certainly do a comparison when mine is finished but I have no idea when that will be and when I would do the write-up.