Grado HF-2 thread

Cankin

Les, how is my venom self-serving? As opposed to you bitching about something with which you had no first-hand experience for 20 pages at head-fi?

I'm not trying to draw attention to myself here, unlike you. I'm just venting because you caused a delay and a rush to resume production for no reason, and as a result, me and 400+ others are stuck with typos on our HF2s.

I'd gladly cancel my order and punish Grado for listening to you flap your fucking mouth, except that everything I've read regarding the sound of the HF2s suggests that they're exactly what I want. You fucking douche/ insensitive clod!

Edit: I actually harbor no ill will towards you whatsoever, but I think I have a right to be a little pissed off here.

No issue? Why did Grado switch engravers? You guys are something else!

Because Grado caught wind of a huge bitchfest on Head-Fi about blurry cups, and didn't realize that everyone (but you, the most vocal member) was joking? It's either that or he went somewhere cheaper, because AFAIK none of the first 25 had any complaints. Given the timing of the delay/engraver switch right after the escalation of the Les Talk in the HF2 thread, it's hard not to think the former was the case.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to parhelictriangle:

It seems to me that if there is anyone to blame besides the manufacturer, it is the masses at head-f1 that are so quick to pick up the pitchfork and a torch anytime someone decides to troll a FOTM.

That being said, I just wrote Todd and re-affirmed my order. I understand why others wouldn't, but it doesn't really bother me all that much.

I've never used the ignore list feature before (on Head-Fi, that is) but right now I'm considering adding both Les and parhelictriangle to my list here on HC.

Don't add me to the ignore list; I'll be good. I'm not trying to be a troll, I'm just genuinely a little upset at the way this situation turned out.

I've been lurking here since roughly 2006, and I appreciate the more conversational tone and great ears of the people here; it's a lot easier to cut through the noise and get impressions from you folks. I didn't mean to add to the noise myself.

I'm not really angry at Les. It's just a typo, after all, and I look forward to getting lots of enjoyment out of the HF2s.

Les, want to hug it out? :)

Raif: you're probably right.

Incidentally, so far the only people I can think of that have a reason to be genuinely angry with Grado about the rushed production of the HF2s are Striker and allenf, and that has nothing to do with a typo.

Les, how is my venom self-serving? As opposed to you bitching about something with which you had no first-hand experience for 20 pages at head-fi?

I'm not trying to draw attention to myself here, unlike you. I'm just venting because you caused a delay and a rush to resume production for no reason, and as a result, me and 400+ others are stuck with typos on our HF2s.

I'd gladly cancel my order and punish Grado for listening to you flap your fucking mouth, except that everything I've read regarding the sound of the HF2s suggests that they're exactly what I want. You fucking douche/ insensitive clod!

Edit: I actually harbor no ill will towards you whatsoever, but I think I have a right to be a little pissed off here.

Because Grado caught wind of a huge bitchfest on Head-Fi about blurry cups, and didn't realize that everyone (but you, the most vocal member) was joking? It's either that or he went somewhere cheaper, because AFAIK none of the first 25 had any complaints. Given the timing of the delay/engraver switch right after the escalation of the Les Talk in the HF2 thread, it's hard not to think the former was the case.

Self serving, because you are joining a Club. Let's blame it on Les Club. Les should have kept his mouth shut.

I talked to Todd, on the phone, about the" Blurry Engraving". That's how I found out about the new Engravers, and they were set before I talked to them.

Do you think Grado switched Engravers because Les Said so? There was no issue, but he did it for me! You believe that?

I have no sway with Grado. It took them 4 sets of drivers to get my GS1000s to work right! 4 months wasted time my canz were in Brooklyn. I have no sway with JG, but I do understand how they don't get shit straight. Then they send me the cans with the Left and Right cups switched. I started listening and the soundstage was flipped.

How do you see it's my fault that Grado made this Typo? That's dilusional and irrational that you blame me for it. If it makes you feel better, I don't mind. With that Logic set in your Neurons, there's no way I can change your mind anyhow.

So let's get this straight:

Les made him fix his first Fuck-up, that really didn't exist.

This caused him to make his second fuckup, which does exist, and that's Les's Fault too.

If I had that kind of power, I'd Conjure up some winning Lottery Numbers and hire Bands to play for me, instead of listening to this artificail Digital stuff I have to listen to.

Self serving, because you are joining a Club. Let's blame it on Les Club. Les should have kept his mouth shut.

I talked to Todd, on the phone, about the" Blurry Engraving". That's how I found out about the new Engravers, and they were set before I talked to them.

Do you think Grado switched Engravers because Les Said so? There was no issue, but he did it for me! You believe that?

I have no sway with Grado. It took them 4 sets of drivers to get my GS1000s to work right! 4 months wasted time my canz were in Brooklyn. I have no sway with JG, but I do understand how they don't get shit straight. Then they send me the cans with the Left and Right cups switched. I started listening and the soundstage was flipped.

How do you see it's my fault that Grado made this Typo? That's dilusional and irrational that you blame me for it. If it makes you feel better, I don't mind. With that Logic set in your Neurons, there's no way I can change your mind anyhow.

So let's get this straight:

Les made him fix his first Fuck-up, that really didn't exist.

This caused him to make his second fuckup, which does exist, and that's Les's Fault too.

If I had that kind of power, I'd Conjure up some winning Lottery Numbers and hire Bands to play for me, instead of listening to this artificail Digital stuff I have to listen to.

Hey, I wanted to hug! And I don't want to join the Blame Les club, although they supposedly get really wonderful sandwiches from this little place across the street with ciabatta bread and a smoked gouda that's to die foooor.

I don't think you have any sway with Grado personally. My sense was that Grado might have looked at the thread (or, more likely, he might have been notified about its contents) and sensed a little PR problem from the trend of the posts, and in his rush to fix things inadvertently caused a much worse one. To be fair, the trend of the posts was you complaining about X, and then a bunch of other people sarcastically acknowledging X. In which case, it's unfair to single you out, and I apologize for it.

I'm not delusional, and it's not irrational to suspect the above, given the timeline of events. I'm a lawyer, and I'm a completely logical being, I swears!

I don't honestly think it was "all because of Les," even if Les had a significant role to play as a trouble maker (even if you were acting with good intentions, which you probably were) in the HF2 thread. All the good people with their jokes about blurry HF2s could have had a hand in that as well. Grado might not get web forum sarcasm.

In any case, it's just a typo. And no matter what caused it, it's really water under the bridge. Peace?

I'm sorry you had bad luck with Grado in the past. You have a right to be pissed at them for that. Strider and allenf have a right to be pissed, too. If my HF2s come back with significant defects like theirs, I'd definitely return them and hope for a replacement; if no replacement was to be forthcoming, I'd probably never deal with Grado Labs again.

Can we hug now? My initial post was supposed to come across as a bit more humorous than it apparently did. I'd probably buy you a beer if I met you in person.

I've been lurking here since roughly 2006, and I appreciate the more conversational tone and great ears of the people here; it's a lot easier to cut through the noise and get impressions from you folks. I didn't mean to add to the noise myself.

Well, if nothing else, I'm glad this little contretemps has drawn you out of hiding. You seem like good people.

[snip]

I don't think you have any sway with Grado personally. My sense was that Grado might have looked at the thread (or, more likely, he might have been notified about its contents) and sensed a little PR problem from the trend of the posts, and in his rush to fix things inadvertently caused a much worse one. To be fair, the trend of the posts was you complaining about X, and then a bunch of other people sarcastically acknowledging X. In which case, it's unfair to single you out, and I apologize for it.

[snip]

I find it hard to believe that Grado would change the engraving because Les complained, or because of the complaining on HF started by Les' "blurry" post. But even if Grado did decide to change it for that reason, the fault still lies with them for making the decision to change it, and then not ensuring that it was done correctly. Les' complaining about the original may be annoying, but he deserves no blame for the engraving problem.

I find it highly interesting that if you take the mispelled name, and spell it out, it yields the following:

Head-F1 = Head-Fone

Maybe its supposed to be

Head-F1 = HF1, an allusion to the previous HF1 series and now the HF2, so that the legacy of the HF series will always be present regardless of what headphone you have.

Being a Chicago Cubs fan, I just realized that blaming Les for the HF2 lettering debacle is similar to to the reaction that Steve Bartman got for interfering with the foul ball that somewhat led to the breakdown in a clinching game of the 2003 NLCS.

If only Bartman paid some freaking attention and let Alou get a honest attempt at the ball, maybe Cubs make it to world series.

If only Les shut the hell up maybe Grado keeps the original engraver and there is no lettering mistake.

Most people don't like to mention how Prior, after the Bartman interference, completely lost his cool on the mound, losing his pitch control and giving up the string of hits that would eventually lead to Florida taking the lead in the 8th. or the blatant error from Alex Gonzales at Shortstop who normally was golden glove solid at the position on what was a routine grounder.

Obviously Grado should take the major of the blame here and not Les; but it cannot be denied the apparent cause and effect relationship that is perceived from the community regarding the lettering debacle. Though its fairness is debatable, I do believe Les Garten will forever be known as the one that led to the lettering debacle though some weird twisted cause effect alignment of the stars fate sort of way. At bare minimum he deserves a custom title:p

And I don't want to join the Blame Les club,

But blaming Les is so tidy. I like it.

Well, if nothing else, I'm glad this little contretemps has drawn you out of hiding. You seem like good people.

but but but....a lawyer! Do we really need another? I suppose a second West Coast attorney could be handy. Al could easily find himself in trouble with that crew he's been running with and need help.

Okay, welcome to head-case, parhelictriangle. No need to warn you about thin skin.