Another WTF Tube Moment (Oil Damped Tubes)

Well, I think everyone here understands the use of submerging the pc. But I just don't get it for the tubes. Dampen microphonics? I mean, in what kind of atmosphere is this guy doing his listening?

I just don't get it.

It's not cooking oil it's mineral oil for cooling but yeah

I am pretty sure cooking oil was used at some point in that experiment. I think I read it in tomshardware.com, if I'm not mistaken. Too lazy to go verify.

Mineral oil is toxic though, and it has a nasty tendency to accumulate in your body (so I've heard).

If you choke when you're drinking mineral oil (as a laxative) and the oil goes down your windpipe then it will stay in your lungs forever. Too much and you could asphyxiate. Otherwise it's not toxic.

MINERAL OIL material safety data sheet

quote from: Toxicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A central concept of toxicology is that effects are dose-dependent; even water can lead to water intoxication when taken in large enough doses, whereas for even a very toxic substance such as snake venom there is a dose below which there is no detectable toxic effect.

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Why is too much water dangerous?

Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm, its listed as "moderate" in the contact rating. Not something I'd happily dip my hands in.

Don't give me condescending bullshit like a comparison to water toxicity, please. Between the two of us, I'm willing to bet I'm the only one who sees that hazards identification chart regularly.

Inhalation:

Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath. Inhalation of mist or vapor may produce aspiration pneumonia.

Ingestion:

Material is a cathartic and can cause serious diarrhea. Nausea and vomiting may also occur and possibly abdominal cramping. Aspiration of mineral oil into the lungs can cause chemical pneumonia.

Skin Contact:

Prolonged contact may cause irritation; occasionally dermatitis due to hypersensitivity occurs.

Eye Contact:

Mists or fumes can irritate the eyes. Can cause discomfort similar to motor oil.

Chronic Exposure:

Prolonged or repeated skin exposure may cause dermatitis. Highly refined mineral oils are not classified as human carcinogens. However, related forms (untreated and mildly-treated oils) are listed as human carcinogens by both NTP and IARC.

Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:

Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or impaired respiratory function may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.

I did used to work in the chemical industry, and mineral oil is pretty darn safe. Certainly not something you need to be concerned with if oyu get it on your skin. In fact, it's sold as a treatment for poison ivy (to clean the affected areas to stop the spread). It's related to toxic substances, and can be irritating if you have very sensitive skin. It's not in and of itself particularly dangerous.

Hmm, its listed as "moderate" in the contact rating. Not something I'd happily dip my hands in.

If your hands itch take them out and rinse them off, grawk is right "mineral oil is pretty darn safe"

Don't give me condescending bullshit like a comparison to water toxicity, please. Between the two of us, I'm willing to bet I'm the only one who sees that hazards identification chart regularly.

Four years of chemistry labs in Uni drilled it into me ;D

I included the water toxicity stuff for interest and to link dosage levels to toxicity.

who did you hear that from?

Admittedly, someone on silentpcreview who claimed to be a med student.

I did used to work in the chemical industry, and mineral oil is pretty darn safe. Certainly not something you need to be concerned with if oyu get it on your skin. In fact, it's sold as a treatment for poison ivy (to clean the affected areas to stop the spread). It's related to toxic substances, and can be irritating if you have very sensitive skin. It's not in and of itself particularly dangerous.
I'm not saying that its really THAT toxic, but I don't feel entirely comfortable soaking my hands in it (like I would have to if I made a mineral oil cooled PC). Personal opinion, really.

Four years of chemistry labs in Uni drilled it into me ;D
Fair enough, I'm in my third year now.

of all the things you can worry about, immersing your hands in mineral oil should be WAY down the list. Soldering is probably significantly more dangerous.

True that. But all my "worrying" really means is that I am a bit less likely to build a PC soaked in mineral oil =P Damping tubes with it might be fun.