Best sounding USB cable for under $60

donunus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

For on the go, I like using retractable USB cables. Make sure you get one with three wire/conductors (you can usually see three side by side). Otherwise, there can be some connection problems with USB 2.0 devices. I've had issues with the two wire ones not working when tethering my Touch Pro phone and also with the HeadAmp Pico DAC.

Can you tell me why its a stupid question? I thought cds/pcm data played real time and errors are not corrected during the stream which is why usb cables dont sound the same for playing audio. I can definitely even get a perfect score a/b testing between two usb cables I currently have... having someone else switch the cables around. Anyway, its all good. I just got a belkin gold for now.

If you want to avoid errors in the data, get a cable that follows the USB specification, and has been tested and has been authorized to use the USB logo. So anything under $25

• 2 weeks later...

First post on the site, and figures it has to be about friggin' cables!

In my exprience, a slightly better than average cable (like the Belkin Gold) works well.

I had bought a MisterX HPDAC (2 of them actually, I usedone at work). Used a basic simple shielded USB cable, and with low impedence phones, I got horrible distortion. Brought e one at work home, it also had distortion.

Went back and forth with Marshall a couple times, then tried the Belkin Gold cord. No more distortion at all, with any phone.....

I haven't been able to tell any other difference, but there you have it. FYI, the old USB cable is connecting external HDD to my PC now, and never had any data errors FWIW.....

Now back to our regularly schedule snake oil discussion :D

• 2 weeks later...
How come no one has reccomended the ALO USB interconnect yet? :o If you're lucky, I'm sure you can get Ken build you one for $60, using only the finest materials he has to offer.

The irony is strong in this one.

I'm still amazed at the "usb spec" wiki link...