Ye Macce Threade

Well, I just finished installing Snow Leopard on my MacBook (late 07/early 08 model). Most of my apps appear to be working, though all the 3rd-party add-ons I have for Safari are not working at this point. I'll probably get to installing it on my iMac (2nd gen Intel iMac) tomorrow.

If you're willing to run Safari in 32-bit mode the Safari add-ons may work. You can change it in the "Get Info" dialog for Safari's executable.

Technically even though a lot of these Safari tweaks are referred to as "plug-ins" or "input managers" they aren't as benign as those names suggest. Input Managers are actually unsupported back door Cocoa hacks that will never be supported in 64-bit mode, and may soon not work in 32-bit mode either. It'd be best to find new plugins designed for Snow Leopard.

If you have issues with a system upgrade, then it'll be 3rd party crap causing the issues. If I ever install anything remotely system-modifying, it never gets installed "for all users" so I can log in as another user and see if it's something I installed causing the problem or not.

Monkey: There's no Archive and Install in Snow Leopard. Just an upgrade. You should be fine. It wont break iLife.

Also, Quicktime 7 player is an optional install. Quicktime 7 is installed by default. If it weren't, most video types wouldn't be playable.

If you have a spare hour, you can read ARSTechnica's hardcore review for the fine details of what's new.

There is no "Archive and Install," though there is a non-upgrade install clearly in the earlier linked image. It's how I installed. SL is built to install on a blank disk, though does this violate licensing is another question.

BTW, anyone else having problems with dock/in finder application icons? A few of mine are blank. Seems a few others are experiencing similar, though I haven't found a solution.

Apple - Support - Discussions - No icons???? Snow Leopard ***? ...

Oops, as you've already gleaned, Monkey, I was wrong about "archive and install" as it's been cut from this version. :palm:

The only persistent problem I'm having with 10.6 is I can't sync preferences with MobileMe. Not a big deal, really. On the plus side, upgrading did kill the annoying glitch where iTunes was asking for permission to make a network connection every time it was reopened. So that's a win!

I'll have to play with that. I need to get smart on smart playlists -- that's the only thing I can play in my car unless I get a modded cable, and I find the challenge fun (for those who care: it's attached to the multi-CD player input on the back of my head unit, and the playlists whose names are clarion1, clarion2, clarion3, clarion4, and clarion5 translate to CD's 2-6 [1 is always the "all tracks" option]).

Unrelated: Apple TV price drop and anticipated update

The Apple TV has digital out, so you can use it with your DACses.

There are refurb appletvs cheap on apple.com now too
Is $189 considered cheap, when the non-refurb is just going to be $40 more? And that's not on sale? I think I'll wait and see if they ever go on sale (I never thought I'd see iPods on sale, but I've seen 'em at both amazon and newegg -- rare, admittedly, but I have seen them). Edited by Dusty Chalk

pull the drive, throw in a bigger one (...)

Since we are speaking about a MacBook Pro drive upgrade. Do some of you have experienced those SSD in the MBP line? The info I have right now is that (since the $ involve is no longer a major problem around 120GB) Apple is strangely enough avoiding the best of them (the SSD Intel line :mad:).

Amicalement