The I'd Rather Be Happy than Fit thread

grawk

I work out so I can eat what I want. I am not an endurance athlete, don't want to be one, but would like to trim down a bit while still not worrying about caloric intake. The only way to do that is to work out a bit so that's what I do. I've had 5% body fat before, I don't see it ever happening again.

Most definitely... It's already hard in my early 30's :D

Getting a dog I can't just let out the door has been a great way to maintain a base level of activity. 4-5 walks anywhere from 10-20 minuted (with significantly longer ones on weekend mornings) are hardly vigorous, but it definitely makes it easier to jump into some working out when the motivation strikes.

I've been overweight for most of my life, though not by much. I'm more in the "I rather be fit" side right now, but very barely. I eat what I want half the week while controlling myself the other half. I exercise pretty often and have picked up playing a few sports. It's both fun and effective at keeping the weight down.

I have found that I am happier when I'm not completely out of shape.

And in my case, heart disease runs in the family (dad died at the age of 57), so 20 years off the end of my life could mean I'm dead tomorrow -- yesterday, even -- and that prospect is, indeed, a big turn-off.

There's fit, and there's "not completely out of shape". The CFS I went through several years ago (going on a decade, now) could largely be attributed to being significantly out of shape.

I have found my relative level of happiness to be much higher when I am 'fit'. Over the last year I've lost about 50-60 pounds, most of which is attributed to keeping to an exercise regimen. I have sleep problems, and they are pretty much under control if I work out regularly. I am less tired, with more energy. I eat more healthy, but the real difference as been moderation. I still enjoy good beer and food, but maybe once or twice a week instead of 2 beers every day.

I've never been one to be overweight, but I saw my weight slipping, and out of the blue decided to cut it. I was 260ish. I began having difficulty completing 3/4 mile in 15 minutes. I began this in Feb. Now I'm 210lbs at 6'3", and I complete 3 miles in 22ish minutes.

Just with our headphone hobby, YMMV. I used to be clearly in the I'd rather be fat and happy camp, but I've found that I can be even happier in the "not completely out of shape" and happy camp.

For me it's about food choices, not about exercising or not. Moderate activity levels are obviously desireable. But for me, I've hit the point in my life where I just don't want to eat the plain chicken breast and brown rice.

I find that exercise and diet is more of a lifestyle for me and I would not want to pick one over the other. I work out regularly because it gives me better energy levels and also enjoy my pig out moments (had some awesome barbecue buffet last night). Like you've said, balance is the key.

For me it's about food choices, not about exercising or not. Moderate activity levels are obviously desireable. But for me, I've hit the point in my life where I just don't want to eat the plain chicken breast and brown rice.

Yeah I can see that. For a few months I ate a hell of a lot of plain chicken, salad, etc. I have curbed that considerably now, and I'm happy I've kept the weight off for about 3 months. I'm just starting to diet again, as I'd like to hit the 200 mark. My fiancee is VERY active as well, so we run together a lot. I'm also addicted to basketball, so I get in a good amount of exercise. This allows me to enjoy some good food and drink. But as you mention, I am still young, so my body can still take it. I'll probably have a different approach when I hit your age. :)

I have had to find a balance as I have gotten older and my metabolism has done the slow down thing. "Working out" doesn't really work for me unless it is something I enjoy like sports or riding/hiking, etc..

Hate running/jogging with a passion.

I have had to adjust my eating habits. Slow down, actually chew (used to really wolf my food down), drink lots of water. I have discovered that I can influence my tastes in food somewhat. I have learned to enjoy things like rice and vegetables over burgers and pizza. I just spice the hell out of it with hot sauces and spices. It's a little tough at first but after a while I will actually crave the healthier stuff.

I still have a problem with portion control but pigging out on healthy stuff is much better than stuffing my face with the typical cardiac specials.

I could still be in better shape but I do enjoy my food.

The economy hasn't helped. Had to lay off half my staff so more stress (which leads to overeating), longer hours, no energy for walks when I get home. No time for walking during the lunch hour. Sucks.

... I can influence my tastes in food somewhat. I have learned to enjoy things like rice and vegetables over burgers and pizza.
QFT -- in fact, one can even get used to low salt diets, once you drain your body of excess salt. It's like quitting smoking. You just have to get used to it. You know how people who listen to classical music think all pop/rock music sounds the same? And people who listen to pop/rock music think that all classical music sounds the same? It's the same thing with salinity and spiciness. People who eat spicy food think all non-spicy food tastes the same, and people who eat low-salt foods think all salty foods taste the same. But you can get used to anything, and start to taste the variety within a range with anything.

Nowadays with the current state of health care, your body will most likely outlive your mind, unless of course your are grossly obese or you destroy your liver through abuse. I have been exposed to a lot of people who have had unhealthy eating habits but seem to keep on going, the bitch of it though is when your mind goes. In that case what does "living" matter when your mind is gone? So to me a good balance between physical and mental health is both desirable and relative. This place is a good start in keeping all of us healthy mentally but not necessarily financially healthy:indra:. So biscuits and gravy for the masses!

It's easier in your early 20s than late 30s :)

But yes, the balance is key.

When I was 23, I could eat 7000 calories a day and had trouble getting over 160. Now, not so much.

Me too. Now I'm 56 and weigh 195. As you get older and you metabolism continues to slow down, it gets harder and harder to keep the weight off.

Me too. :P I'd rather eat what I want than lose 20 lbs. I now exercise regularly, at least when I'm not recovering from a motorcycle crash. But I'm not giving up the food and drink that I like. I may not live as long, but at least I'll be living, not just existing.

I love beef. Absolutely love it. But, knowing its bad for your heart, and I have a family history of heart disease on both sides, should I eat it regularly? At what point does "living" become more important than "existing"? What if the love of my life was cocaine? Would I be just existing if I avoided that temptation? I guess that's a personal line that needs to be drawn, and its location will vary person to person.

Either way, cheers everyone! May you all be happy and healthy for many years to come! :dan:

:jbl: