Sonic Studio 302 (aka Metric Halo ULN-2)

jp11801

I've either been using TS to RCA or TRS to XLR adaptors. I pre-programmed the front panel selector (not easily visible in photos) so I can choose different outputs, eg: direct, monitor (to use it as a pre with volume control), or digital.

I am not sure it affects using it as a DAC, when when I was playing around with measuring things through the mic inputs, using the external PSU gave better results, so I'd suggest using that and not just your MacBook Pro's Firewire for power.

.......................Also, where do you get a pair of decent TRS -> RCA cables? I didn't see any at BJC.

Ok, to provide further clarification to Shelly's question and to resolve my own confusion on this subject I spent some time reviewing my ULN-8 documentation and found no unbalanced cable diagram for the ULN-8. Dan was correct in that his diagram for the ULN-2 connectors is what MH recommends, but that diagram is in the ULN-2 pdf only. Since I found the recommendation of using a TRS connector in a unblanced cable unusual I sent Metric Halo tech support an email and this is their response

"If you are connecting to a TS or RCA, you connect Tip to Center Wire Sleeve to shield And don't connect Ring to anything.

We generally find that you will get less distortion if you use TRS and leave the ring unconnected (not shorted to ground). It will still work if you use a TS, but the distortion will be higher."

So Shelly, TS and RCA connectors on a ULN-2 cable will work, TRS (with a floating center ring) and RCA are preferred per MH. As far as I can tell a TRS with a unconnected floating center ring is not readily available so you may need to custom order it. The second link I provided does a nice job in custom cable configuring.

Nate, thanks for the offer. I contacted the good guys at Blue Jeans Cables and asked about a custom cable, TRS (with a floating ring) to RCA, and they said they would be happy to do it so I'll just probably do that. That way you can just sit back in the hammock in retirement. ;)

Edited by shellylh