Amarra "Mini" -- $395

Hopstretch

Mac audio is bit perfect, but that is not the whole story. The Amarra software has EQ but I do not use it. It takes the processing out of the Mac/Core Audio system and in my case, does the processing inside the Amarra hardware to the greatest extent possible. If you use the software only, then it still shifts it outside the normal path. I do not know the details and they do not like to describe the details, but I know what I hear and I like it.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I get the gist of it. It sounds much like what goes on when you bypass the windows sound processing (kmixer in W2k/XP) through the use of ASIO or kernel streaming.

It's a bummer that you would have to pay for such a thing, but then again, it's somewhat part of the deal when you buy an Apple product.

Anyway, at least they have this new version for a less insane price, since most people would probably only use the playback section. And unless you're making your own vinyl rips, you probably wouldn't be playing back 24/192 anyway.

I would say that the Amarra setup, including the hardware DAC/ADC unit certainly sounds very good in your rig, Al. Or is that just my 4070 love coming through? :D

How is the Amarra software licensed? Per user, like Microsoft Office or per machine? If I buy the Amarra software soon I would temporarily load it onto the house Mac for now then a dedicated Mac for just my music later on.

Al, is your Amarra 4 a Mac only interface or can it take a digital signal from any source like the ULN 8?

How is the Amarra software licensed? Per user, like Microsoft Office or per machine? If I buy the Amarra software soon I would temporarily load it onto the house Mac for now then a dedicated Mac for just my music later on.

Al, is your Amarra 4 a Mac only interface or can it take a digital signal from any source like the ULN 8?

I haven't looked up the details, but since people talked about dongles in the first page, I think it's per dongle.

It's a one-computer license, but if you carry your dongle around with you -- :eek: -- then you could easily have multiple locations with the Amarra software in place.

The Amarra 4 has all or most of the ULN-8 functionality, and it has one or two tweaks that prevent consumers killing their speakers by having the gain unintentionally high. Anyway, there are 8 channels of analog in and 8 out (4 stereo pairs if you choose), and there are 8 channels of digital inputs/outputs also, so you could have 4 digital sources or two sources in and two receiving Amarra's digital output. The breakout cable I have is two AES in and two AES out. The Amarra 4 has a high quality analog volume control so you can use it as a true preamp as well.

Yikes! The wish list is getting rather expensive. Amarra 4 seems to be the way to go. Time to listen to your advice Mike and take a wine holiday in favor of a Hefeweizen remainder of the year fest.

When you don't any better, like me, it's easy to drink $15 to $20 bottles of wine. If only I could stop collecting $100 bottles of whiskey.

When you don't any better, like me, it's easy to drink $15 to $20 bottles of wine. If only I could stop collecting $100 bottles of whiskey.

*snap* I need to pay a visit this week to my scotch guy and try some of the whiskies he always manages to track down.

Edited by tyrion

That's what I'm wondering. The site seems to mention compatability with only firewire/USB DACs.

EDIT: From the website:

Q
: What hardware will work with Amarra?

A
: Amarra works with most FireWire and USB DACs. To ensure full functionality Amarra has been qualified to work with these audio interfaces:

• Amarra Model Four and Model Three

• All Sonic Studio Audio Interfaces (302/303/304/305)

• Benchmark

• Empirical Audio

• Lynx AES16e PCIe (Mac Pro)

• RME Fireface 400 and 800,

• Sonicweld Decoder and Diverter

• Wavelength

• Weiss Engineering Vesta, Minerva, AFI1, ADC2, DAC2

• More interfaces are qualified each week.

Edited by The Monkey

Well, I know it works with AES/EBU output of the Lynx PCI(e) cards into devices like the Weiss DACs. Using Mac's USB out will limit the resolution to 24/96, to my understanding. You can also use a Firewire interface/converter box like the Weiss AFI1 or a USB converter like the Sonicweld Decoder and Diverter that are mentioned in that list.

What are you thinking about using but aren't sure it would work?

EDIT: Does the following post answer what you after? I did not see grawk's post when I responded to yours.

Edited by Voltron

This explains why my demo sounded exactly the same as plain ol' itunes... :palm:

:D

Does it require 192 output to work? I saw it only deals with files up to 96 :) I should try it to see if it works with the duet.

Amarra can output any uncompressed file and any bit rate and any resolution. My files (AIFF mostly) range from 16/44 to 24/192 and they all go through Amarra and into the DAC just fine. The few free downloads I have on that machine in MP3 format also play, but straight through iTunes. Amarra disengages when an MP3 is next in a playlist or library and kicks back in when the next supported file comes up.

And that very same Duet you have has been used to output Amarra. Jonathan wrote the necessary code patch to support Apogees when I was testing it out and found out the same was Sherwood did that the optical out was not an option. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm demoing it now, and at least with my cheapie speakers, I can't hear any difference, except when amarra mutes output :)

I'm sure you wouldn't hear any difference with crappy speakers, especially considering the short time between drop-outs.

I'm hoping to bring a lappy with Amarra and a dongle to your little mini-meet in NC, so maybe you could bring your Duet to give it a listen if there are any decent amps and cans there. :)