Amarra "Mini" -- $395

Hopstretch

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds more like corporate secrecy than true obfuscation. If the designer explained why it worked, it would rather undercut his bottom line. No harm in a little secrecy, in my book.

Of course, I could be totally misreading this, and that's not a marketing ploy but an honest statement. In any case, it certainly could be measured by an individual of that bent, wink wink nudge nudge.

What does "local storage" mean? I have seen it used with NAS drives and Computer Audiophile talks about using NAS and Drobo and such. Also, ALAC support is supposed to be in the next revision.

As soon as it has ALAC support I am going to give it a try as that is a bigger problem for me.

What does "local storage" mean? I have seen it used with NAS drives and Computer Audiophile talks about using NAS and Drobo and such. Also, ALAC support is supposed to be in the next revision.

When the next revision is released will those who purchased an earlier version be able to upgrade for a modest charge or have to buy the full gundy again? (* note to self to ask this at RMAF*)

Local storage in that I use itunes sharing, not NAS to access my itunes. The itunes library's primary function is that of video serving for my kids. I then use itunes sharing to listen to the songs on my office computer. When listening that way, amarra reports "itunes" instead of "on", just as if I was using alac.

I'm in maybe when it supports ALAC as well. It works with the optical output, though I think that optical isn't the most ideal output for it. I'll give it a go with USB some time. If I can get it to give a significant improvement one way or another then I'll change some of my better recordings to AIFF until ALAC support comes.

iTunes sharing compresses everything with ALAC for transfer. At least in 10.6, if not 10.5, it appears to vary the quality if sending to an Airport Express as well, as I had sudden SQ degradation when doing a large file transfer over the network while listening one day.

I'm in maybe when it supports ALAC as well. It works with the optical output, though I think that optical isn't the most ideal output for it. I'll give it a go with USB some time. If I can get it to give a significant improvement one way or another then I'll change some of my better recordings to AIFF until ALAC support comes.

iTunes sharing compresses everything with ALAC for transfer. At least in 10.6, if not 10.5, it appears to vary the quality if sending to an Airport Express as well, as I had sudden SQ degradation when doing a large file transfer over the network while listening one day.

Amarra does not work with the optical output of a Mac, and will not.

Ok, I relocated my music to a different drive and put it on the listening computer. I spent the last hour listening to alac vs aiff so that amarra would turn itself on and off automatically. What I think I hear is the imaging and clarity is just a touch better with amarra on.

• 2 weeks later...
You're just hearing iTunes because Amarra doesn't go through the Built-In Output. I don't think it stops the meters from jumping, etc, but the Amarra audio output will not route through there.

Just thought I'd update this: A friend of mine in CA contacted Amarra directly, as he was interested in using it with his Alpha DAC. It does definitely work with the optical digital output.

• 1 month later...

Well after playing with the demo for a couple days I have decided to buy Amarra. I am assuming since I do not plan to do anything over 24/96 and I do not care about the equalization I should get the Mini.

Does anyone here have it yet?

I have the Amarra software and it is not an immediate WOW factor but very noticeable when taken away. What I hear is a more natural (realistic tone) better soundstage definition also a wider stage front to back and side to side. It seems to make my digital sound closer to top end analog.

I'm going to go with the full version at it is going to have integrated needledrop software in future releases.