General DAC Questions/Tech Thread

The Monkey

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard the Sabres much, but I'm so annoyed by the kids on Twisted Pear's jock. I know it's fun to build stuff yourself, and the Buffalo32 is probably a nice enough DAC, but some of them think it's like this holy grail of DACness and pair it with the Beta22 like it's some kind of ultimate unbeatable setup. It just feels like they're just extrapolating the Beta22's rep to anything else that's DIY. Yeah OK I'm sure it's nicer than whatever junk they had before... that doesn't really tell me anything.

Any opinions about the Adcom GDA-700? I'm considering it since I need a DAC for the office, and like the Burr-Brown 1702 chip paired with PMD100 filter. I'd get another Parasound, but I can't find one. Is the Adcom with $200?

I can tell you once my unit arrives. I do think the Adcom needs to be modded as the caps used are cheap and nasty plus the opamps (whatever they really are) sure can be bettered. This isn't going to cost more than 100$ though and could turn it into something very nice indeed. :)

Edited by spritzer

I haven't heard the Sabres much, but I'm so annoyed by the kids on Twisted Pear's jock. I know it's fun to build stuff yourself, and the Buffalo32 is probably a nice enough DAC, but some of them think it's like this holy grail of DACness and pair it with the Beta22 like it's some kind of ultimate unbeatable setup. It just feels like they're just extrapolating the Beta22's rep to anything else that's DIY. Yeah OK I'm sure it's nicer than whatever junk they had before... that doesn't really tell me anything.

I bet that combo is not bad though I'm sure its beatable judging by the TPA Buffalo24, its probably worth listening to.

Have any of you heard and LOVED a DAC with the Sabre chipses yet?

My Buffalo is still better than anything else I have listened to, but like the other kids I certainly haven't listened to anything that could qualify as a holy grail either. I guess that helps diddly squat, really.

Since I got the Parasound on the way, I will need to find a USB -> S/PDIF converter but I don't need 24/96 (or more) capability anymore. I wonder whether the HiFace is the one to go for or it is just the hype of the month and I am better off with something cheap but I would rather avoid something that is crippling the performance of everything else in the system. I also wonder, is it possible to mod the Parasound to have BNC input?

I bet that combo is not bad though I'm sure its beatable judging by the TPA Buffalo24, its probably worth listening to.

My Buffalo is still better than anything else I have listened to, but like the other kids I certainly haven't listened to anything that could qualify as a holy grail either. I guess that helps diddly squat, really.

I'm sure it's pretty good; I've heard the original Buffalo. I'm not railing against the Buffalo32 at all. It's just that sometimes people clearly let their enthusiasm/pride cloud their judgment.

Like the whole "$500 in parts makes it automatically equal to any <$2500 commercial product." Really?

The PSU is pretty simple but the chips are all good and that Ultra Analog jitter reducer is interesting. I'm going to buy the schematics from Adcom to see if I can dig up something more about that UA piece of kit. The rest of the DAC isn't bad by any means but could do with some light mods, i.e. about 50 2.2uf/50V caps and some 2200uf/63V units to start with.

I'm sure it's pretty good; I've heard the original Buffalo. I'm not railing against the Buffalo32 at all. It's just that sometimes people clearly let their enthusiasm/pride cloud their judgment.

Like the whole "$500 in parts makes it automatically equal to any <$2500 commercial product." Really?

Oh yeah I get that. I am honestly only hoping it makes a good contender in the best out of any balanced source under $1000 market. I think it may do that.

Just bought an Adcom. I'm not expecting it to be as good as the Parasound since the internal components are not supposed to be as high end (is this true?), but I do hope it will be better than most contemporary sub-$1000 DACs.

Which Adcom? I have schematics for the GDA600 and GCD750. Neither have any UA dejitter thingie though.