HD800 and GS-X/BUDA?

shellylh

Also note the GS-X's wait time and the fact that it is a balanced GS-1 with better PSU (since you already have a GS-1). Of course I have heard that the GS-X sounds better than a GS-1 even single ended, but it shouldn't be drastically different from the GS-1.

I'd probably just try out a BUDA, and return it if I didn't like it over the GS-1 and get a GS-X.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of doing exactly this since I have never owned any Headroom amps (something new is fun!) and there is the 30 day trial period. :) I waited 6 months for the GS-1 so I am never giving that up! Haha

Also note the GS-X's wait time and the fact that it is a balanced GS-1 with better PSU (since you already have a GS-1). Of course I have heard that the GS-X sounds better than a GS-1 even single ended, but it shouldn't be drastically different from the GS-1.

I'd probably just try out a BUDA, and return it if I didn't like it over the GS-1 and get a GS-X.

i'm not surprised, i've never been a big believer in balanced (i think that many balanced amps are simply better built than their single ended counterparts, and this makes the real difference).

Don't forget that balancing doubles the slew rate and increases power output four-fold...... mediocre amps can become a lot better when you use two of them.

On some phones it makes little difference (eg DT880) but on others (K701 and K340) it makes a hell of a difference. I have a hard time listening to the K701 SE on the GSX and I don't even try any more with the K340. The Senn 650 also sound better balanced to me but not as huge a difference as the AKGs.

I will be doing some Grado balancing next, so that should be fun.

heh, unless the gain is halved when doubling the boards.

HEH! There is always that.

Doesn't the slew rate doubling happen only when you have a true differential input design, not when you glue four single ended amps together?

Maybe, I don't know enough to say ;)

My only experience with balanced amps is reading about DIY variants. All amps I have read about including the MMM, B22, Dynalo can be built into balanced versions with all the benefits it entails.

The slew rate doubles whenever you put 2 single ended amps together to make a balanced amp.

The output power is 4x only when the amp is voltage-limited, which is usually the case for SS amps driving high impedance headphones like the Senns. When the amp is current-limited, the output power is only 2x.

Ok, in case anyone was dying to hear the end of the story and losing sleep over my decision, I just order a BUDA+DPS. I figure this way I get to hear something new and there is no risk with Headroom's 30 day trial! Should ship in 2-4 weeks (probably closer to 4 weeks according to the salesperson on the phone). :P

Now I just need to get rid of my Stello amp and DAC to make up for some of the loss of green.

Ok, in case anyone was dying to hear the end of the story and losing sleep over my decision, I just order a BUDA+DPS. I figure this way I get to hear something new and there is no risk with Headroom's 30 day trial! Should ship in 2-4 weeks (probably closer to 4 weeks according to the salesperson on the phone). :P

Now I just need to get rid of my Stello amp and DAC to make up for some of the loss of green.

Grats on the order. I'll probably be following quite soon I think. That combo seems to offer a lot for the

Talking about for sale, how do you feel about Stello HP100 vs GS-1?

Well, I feel that the HP100 is very good. The GS-1 in my mind is slightly smoother and more neutral with a slightly better soundstate. They are both very good amps though. I am surprised more people haven't jumped on the HP100 bandwagon.