Omega 2 vs K1000 shootout

deepak

Since nobody seems to have really mentioned it, I'll point out that the K1000 used in the shootout was one of the high serial number ones, which have already been shown to have measurably less bass and lower midrange than the earlier ones. It is a much bigger difference than you'll have by using a different source and amp, so it's rather important to keep in mind when doing comparisons.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would imagine though, that a 2xxx K1000 is still, recognisably, a K1000 when compared to an 11xxx K1000. The differences cannot be so large, one would, again, I assume, that one would find them to be so different from one another as different instances of the same model that one would find one of them in preference to another headphone which is not a K1000 compared to that other headphone where the original, other, K1000 is regarded as inferior.

One would assume so, until one listens to both side by side, or reads/looks at the measured differences, or thinks about the numerous other headphones AKG has done the same thing on. :)

EDIT: Until I did the first two, I was skeptical of the possibility just based on the third (as until then I was only aware of hearsay on the matter with little in way of specifics), but the differences were quite clear and unmistakeable. I happen to fall into the category that prefers the sonic signature of the first version, and would more likely reach for my K240 or K401 than the second version K1000. Some people are exactly the opposite, and some prefer neither version.

Edited by Fitz

agreed, this would be a great project for swt61 :)

If you're implying I should build Duggeh a BHSE, sure you bet. I'm ready for it! :P

:eek:;D

No shit! I'd make Smeggy look like Nate, Naaman, Marc and Amb all rolled into one comparitively. :rock:

One would assume so, until one listens to both side by side, or reads/looks at the measured differences, or thinks about the numerous other headphones AKG has done the same thing on. :)

EDIT: Until I did the first two, I was skeptical of the possibility just based on the third (as until then I was only aware of hearsay on the matter with little in way of specifics), but the differences were quite clear and unmistakeable. I happen to fall into the category that prefers the sonic signature of the first version, and would more likely reach for my K240 or K401 than the second version K1000. Some people are exactly the opposite, and some prefer neither version.

I will assume to prefer the opposite of you my friend, as we've already discussed, although I have never heard the two side by side. And only briefly listened to Pete Millets early version in a meet setting a few years back.

That said, don't forget that I've already solved the bass issue via your help (or is your old UFW-10 the one in my 5.1 setup?). :)

Since nobody seems to have really mentioned it, I'll point out that the K1000 used in the shootout was one of the high serial number ones, which have already been shown to have measurably less bass and lower midrange than the earlier ones. It is a much bigger difference than you'll have by using a different source and amp, so it's rather important to keep in mind when doing comparisons.
I thought they were pretty much all bass light, except for a few in a small range (around 500, IIRC?), but that those were inferior in other ways, which is why they "went back".

The latter, of course.

Yeah... after the amount of time and money others and I have put into trying to make some sense of AKG's production changes on their headphones, I'll pretty much only trust empirical evidence or info directly from AKG (and even they've been incorrect at times).

How about a community effort, build a BH for Doug? :)

Should I go start the HF thread for it? >:D

Yes indeed there are K1ks and K1ks and my set is apparently one of the primo sets around sonically. I still haven't heard an O2 but my particular set of K1ks are pretty extraordinary. Not lacking in bass fullness, just a bit of extension and the mids/highs are smooth and sweet as long as the amp is upto it.

Yes indeed there are K1ks and K1ks and my set is apparently one of the primo sets around sonically. I still haven't heard an O2 but my particular set of K1ks are pretty extraordinary. Not lacking in bass fullness, just a bit of extension and the mids/highs are smooth and sweet as long as the amp is upto it.

Smeggy, can you tell me what the primary differences were between your current K1000 and the ones that you sold which I now own (#1378 )?

Thanks!

Smeggy, can you tell me what the primary differences were between your current K1000 and the ones that you sold which I now own (#1378 )?

Thanks!

The ones I kept have more bass fullness and a smoother overall sound. However, they came with no box, ratty made bananas on the ends, no pigtail or docs and the cages are dented so not really suitable as a pristine trade. I imagine the ones you have are more representative of the general K1k sound which is odd as they are both early sets, yours are *really* early. These are the only two sets I've heard so can't fully comment on what 'normal' really is with a K1k.

Other people who have heard them say they are the best sounding K1k they've ever heard. I got them for a reasonable price because of their condition.

This set is #4267

I listened to them at the Denver meet a fair bit, Larry. They really do sound excellent. If I could have walked out of there with my recabled pair of Smeg's, I'm not sure I would have kept mine.

More "fullness" is really the best way to describe it. Great lower-mid weight, and just a very coherent sound. I prefer the high extension and the deep bass weight of my pair to Smeg's, but his wins in the mids. It's also strangely comfortable. Really a great example of the K1K. My pair is also around the 4000#, I believe. I'd have to check.

I listened to them at the Denver meet a fair bit, Larry. They really do sound excellent. If I could have walked out of there with my recabled pair of Smeg's, I'm not sure I would have kept mine.

More "fullness" is really the best way to describe it. Great lower-mid weight, and just a very coherent sound. I prefer the high extension and the deep bass weight of my pair to Smeg's, but his wins in the mids. It's also strangely comfortable. Really a great example of the K1K. My pair is also around the 4000#, I believe. I'd have to check.

Did you try mine out?