SoFla Winter Meet 12/5/09

screaming oranges

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used one of these:

IMG_0256.jpg

It's a ball hex instead of the standard hex because when I tried the standard one, it nearly stripped the screw. I used a wrench (hence the blue masking tape) to slowly apply enough torque to loosen the screw. I can mail it to you if you want since I no longer have a use for it, but they're pretty cheap at Sears... maybe a couple bucks?

I assume the tool is for opening Vicki's amp. If so, I'm certain I have at least one of these

Good looking beer ;)

Not bad but not the best of the day.

Le Tub earlier in the day was excellent but not sure I would call it the best burger I've ever had. It probably is the biggest burger I ever had at 13 oz. Add that to the 12 oz. rib eye for dinner and we ate a serious amount of beef yesterday. Edit: We also drank a serious amount of beer. Thanks Matt. :)

Edited by tyrion

We ate a serious amount of beer yesterday.

That was beef, in the burgers, but we also drank some serious beer.

Dugg, last night we popped an Isle of Arran from your boys at Brewdog. Good stuff, funky smelling but awesome complexity. Really grew on me. Brewdog showed up in my store about 2 weeks after Danjam :).

Best of the weekend though was the De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva.

I read recently that Zu Audio has is promoting what they call Zu parties. You can find information about them on their website. I am interested in the new Essence speaker so this is of particular interest to me. To make a long story short, I spoke to the guy that handles this who is located in Atlanta. He has the date open and is willing to come down with a few sets of their speakers, Peachtree Nova and their cables. He also mentioned some new gear that has not been announced. I am trying to figure out if I can accommodate him. I've explained who we are and what a meet is. Despite that, he is still interested. I wanted to see if this is of interest to others.

It looks like this could work out. There are a few ways to do it. The room the meet is in is 1200 sq.ft. and can be divided into 2 rooms, one 800 and the other 400 sq.ft. This creates a sound problem in the headphone area. I can get a hotel room and use that during the time the headphone meet is going. It's not a big area. If we went this route, we could end the headphone meet at say 4 and then get an early dinner and Zu can move from the hotel room to the main room, probably the smaller of the two rooms and we can go from 6 until whenever. I have the room pretty much as long as I want, figuring that 11 pm would be the latest we would go. The other alternative is to have them to partition the meet room and have them there all day, alternating one hour on and one hours off. Then have it speaker only from 6 or 7 on. Let's face it, it's not like meets are quiet.

Let me know what you guys think. I am leaning towards inviting them.

screw headphones. speakers are moar bettah :)

i think the first route sounds better...might get annoying to keep having to turn off speakers ever hour. what if someone is in the middle of a song. obviously, im sure things would be flexible with the crowd in attendance but i still cant imagine things being all that smooth with the on/off scheme. that said, you are the meet master. do what you think is best.

carl said he would bring an amp for the fonkens. with zu in attendance, im not sure if anyone besides dom would care to listen to the fonkens. could i borrow anyone's source for the meet or perhaps share it?

ps. fonkens + a top flight power amp in the accuphase...hmm...wonder what that would sound like. :P

The Zu guys are in for sure. They are good with alternating throughout the day and then at say 6 or so, taking over the room. I would hope that as many people as possible come back, after dinner and spend the night with the Zu people. In speaking to my contact, they are about the music and the party. They of course want to sell speakers. I made it clear to them, that there would be no promises in that regard and he understood. You can read about some of the parties and the concept on their website: Zu Audio Tour

There is a possibility that they will bring Mark Selby and his wife to play acoustic, no amps for us.

Edited by tyrion

I like the speaker idea, Mike. That's awesome! Besides, if anyone wishes to listen to my crapload of stuff, you can always stop by the room to have a listen. I'll set stuff up there, if need be. Matters not to me. (thsi includes late late friday , late late sat or sunday listening)

Also, Mike, I remember you had mentioned the BBQ pre-meet thing in chat to me. Looks like you guys had fun! But I was out with the family anyway, so I wasn't gonna be able to make it.

I declare this meet officially a JH13 and Zu speaker meet!

That works for me. Most of us have been to (too) many meets, so something different will serve as a nice change. Plus, it's cool that the Zu folks are willing to do this at what I'd imagine will be a considerable expense, not to mention their time and effort. Well done, Mike!

Edited by tyrion