Apple Tablet

Well, I'm entitled to one. I'm not anti apple, but this thing is ridiculous. A quasi netbook with no keyboard that has a touchscreen and can only run apps from the iphone store. You don't see any glaring problems with that?

It's not a netbook, and I'm orderig one day 1. Take from that what you will, or read what I posted for what I think.

It's not a netbook, and I'm orderig one day 1. Take from that what you will, or read what I posted for what I think.
Well, it is certainly not as powerful as a laptop and is small form factor. That's what I'd call a netbook, but I guess everyone has their own terminology. It's either that or an iPod touch that you can't fit in your pocket.

I'll have a look over some of the previous posts to see your take on it.

I have been going back and forth trying to decide whether to get an ipad. I feel that I want one but couldn't really find a reason to need one. I finally convinced myself that I could use it to browse the web and send emails while using my Macbook Pro as a music server (since when being used as a music server it is not very portable, having too many thingies plugged into it). Then it occured to me that I just need to get an Mac mini to use as a server and my MB Pro will be free again. So now I am back to square one.... no reason to get an ipad (except to be cool of course)... also now a need to get a Mac Mini....

need to run Sage, Mathematica, Latex, Adobe Illustrator...

I could pass on the mathematica but not being able to tex on it is a bit of hold-off for me.

Apparently there is a team working on porting a compiler across to the iphone so there may be some good news in the future considering they are the same os and all.

Can't you use the MBP as a server not just for your music, but for all your software, with the iPad used as a VNC? That's what I hope to do with my laptop PC, using Morphsci's recommended Jaadu. But this is all new to me, so maybe I'm missing something?

Yes, I want the MacBook and the iPad, too. I mean jesus I guess I should get the iUnderpants, too. Apple's got me by the balls as it is.