Apple Tablet

Just tried out the Apple case and, wow, that's almost insultingly crappy for the money. :palm:

The InCase folio, while not perfect, is miles better. It adds bulk, but you're not going to be sticking your iPad into a pocket anyway, and the extra thickness actually works better in the hand in many use cases.

In what way(s)?

I don't like the material, which looks plasticky, feels cheap and is unrewarding to touch. I don't like the seams, which are pinched together and protrude to form a "sharp" edge. I don't like the slot arrangement that secures the front flap in stand mode. It's functional, but inelegant, and the iPad deserves better. So there. :)

I got to lay eyes, but not hands on the Pad during lunch. I was in the neighborhood of my local badbuy and decided to limp in. All 4 display models were being appropriately fondled by nerds so I watched for 10 seconds or so before getting a dirty. It's a compelling looking device and I'd love to get some hands-on time. No rush though, but maybe prior to CanJam...

I got to lay eyes, but not hands on the Pad during lunch.

Makes me think of: Alex Payne - The Moderate's Position on iPad Openness. Will be curious what you think once you handle. It's a joy to touch. Making converts quickly.

"Do I still think the iPad is “cynical”? I think it’s cynical of Apple

to have a device that’s so closed from the get-go, but the goals of

the device are so endearingly humanistic that you can’t really call it

anything but hopeful. I think I was probably wrong on this count, but

it’s something you can’t really understand until you’ve interacted

with the thing."

I don't like the material, which looks plasticky, feels cheap and is unrewarding to touch. I don't like the seams, which are pinched together and protrude to form a "sharp" edge. I don't like the slot arrangement that secures the front flap in stand mode. It's functional, but inelegant, and the iPad deserves better. So there. :)

You can always file down the edges like that guy did to his macbook pro.

The fixes listed sounds like a bunch of bs to me.

Edited by tyrion

In one of the articles (that 'stretch linked to, I think), didn't one of the Apple folks say that it was designed to be tossed into a bag or the backseat of the car?

In other news, I just got back from the Apple store on 57th street. That place is a disaster, but that's for another post. The iPad is really cool. The screen, while fingerprinty, is lovely. And the whole thing just feels super responsive. I can see how the overall experience would feel more organic than a traditional laptop. Some observations/comments based on my 10 mins:

• Typing is much easier than I anticipated, which alleviates a major concern.
  • It feels heavier than I expected.
  • It's fast, but some websites (e.g., MSNBC, WSJ) took a bit longer to load than I had hoped.
  • The WiFi antenna indicator showed full strength, so no apparent WiFi issues unless the slow page loads is a symptom.
  • The letterboxing on some of the videos makes the image ridiculously narrow, but blowing it up does not seem to crop as much as I feared.
  • The iPhone apps look awful.
  • This thing wasn't meant to have all kinds of dongles and doohickeys hanging from it--I get that more now.
  • WANT

I rally like the combination of the Belkin gel sleeve and my tumi sleeve. The gel makes it so much easier to use the case. I am not sure if a tilt feature will be worth giving up the better handling characteristics when I get home to my Apple case.

Looks like the weak wifi rumors are starting to gain traction. I am using mine now on my seventh different wifi setup and I have yet to have a single problem but evidently some people are having a lot of issues even getting online.

Anyone besides Mike having problems here?

Looks like the weak wifi rumors are starting to gain traction. I am using mine now on my seventh different wifi setup and I have yet to have a single problem but evidently some people are having a lot of issues even getting online.

Anyone besides Mike having problems here?

No problems here, Jeff. Mine is pretty rock solid, as yours seems to be. In Mike's case, it's probably user error, NTTIAWWT. :)