Apple Tablet

Hey now, no one's more keen on Web standards than good ol' Apple! :D

Apple - iPad-ready websites

But seriously, Dan's right. It's not an either/or choice. You're still going to need a Web presence for non-mobile (and non-Apple) platforms. And the iPad, particularly, is absolutely kickass for browser-based content delivery. But you can already see that in some cases going native on the device really lets you do more -- make things better looking, faster and easier to use. And I think that's great. No one is getting cut out and certainly no one is breaking the Web as a side effect.

Wow, that is a truly awful review. "It is superb, but the box it came in sucks. I hate it and so should you."

Dinny, agreed. His initial criticisms were petty at best. The weight, issue, I kind of get that. The idea that anyone that thinks this is a game changer, is a tool. I think one day, he will look back on that and call himself an asshole for writing it. I haven't touched my macbook since the iPad arrived, other than at the office. Other than no chat, it was replaced my macbook for everything other then work.

Although he does touch on one issue that I sort of agree with: does the iPad feel like a First Gen device? I get the lack of expansion ports. But the widescreen "issue" is odd. And I also agree that the lack of a camera, while not fatal, is a noticeable omission. I guess one of my concerns about spending this much money on a Gen 1 device is that the next gen will smoke it--and within a year. I know this is the price one pays for early adoption, but it still kind of sucks. Of course, balancing this concern are countervailing forces such as: 1) I want it yesterday; 2) I still use a Gen 1 iPhone; and 3) I am an impatient man.

I don't think there will be much change in the 2nd gen device, honestly. The camera will probably be it. Maybe some case refinement. I think 4:3 works better than 16:9 would have. I think the main updates will be software. I think the lack of additional slots/expansion etc is just apple's esthetic. The dock is there for that stuff.

Good points, those. I guess there's also just a certain amount of "giving in" here. I am convinced that Apple has created a game-changing device, which sometimes necessarily means you throw out your preconceived notions about what you think you need and just embrace the benevolent fascism of Apple.

But the widescreen "issue" is odd.
The more I think about this the more I get why they did what they did. I suspect it's mostly an aspect ratio thing in terms of usability and aesthetics, i.e. a 16:9 device would look fricken goofy. Also movies are still plenty big in letter box mode and there's no standard widescreen ratio even in Hollywood so you're always going to get some degree of letterboxing.

And I also agree that the lack of a camera, while not fatal, is a noticeable omission.

I think we're going to see a very iPhone like progression with the Pad. Get the first get out, show people what it does and how it does it and do it in a rock solid stupidly amazing battery life way. Slowly roll in features in future generations to give early adopters a reason to upgrade. Is it a somewhat dickish move? Yes, but hardly without precedent.

I guess one of my concerns about spending this much money on a Gen 1 device is that the next gen will smoke it--and within a year.

This is the reason I'll likely wait till there's plenty of stock, let used prices come down to sane levels and probably pick up a used one in 4 to 6 months just like I did with the Touch and then the Phone.

I am also very curious to see what the rumored Google/Android tablet looks like. One "insider" I was listening to this morning had some very interesting things to say as well as apt comparisons to what we're currently seeing in the Phone market.

It would be pretty cool if the Smyth Realiser could be used with the iPad. I suppose that's a no go though, right, because the iPad and Podz can't output 5.1? Although, I do recall reading that you could record something through the Realiser and then jam it in your iPod and play it that way, but that sounds like a pita.

It would be pretty cool if the Smyth Realiser could be used with the iPad. I suppose that's a no go though, right, because the iPad and Podz can't output 5.1? Although, I do recall reading that you could record something through the Realiser and then jam it in your iPod and play it that way, but that sounds like a pita.

To be honest they could come out with an App to do the math once they got the 5.1 signal but if I remember correctly Smyth specifically want to avoid having to pay for DTS/etc licenses.

I too am looking forward to hearing more about Android and Win7 tablets. I want a USB port.

Edited by Dreadhead

I picked up the Incase Convertible Book Jacket yesterday. Overall I like it. It adds bulk, but I feel like the iPad is safe in my bag going to and from work. Also, the various angles work well for viewing video content. I would note that there are three angles, and the smallest angle doesn't really work well. The iPad is too heavy for the case to support it. The good thing is that the small angle doesn't seem practical for anything. It's too much of an angle to type on and awkward for viewing (IMHO). Folding the case back puts the iPad at a good angle for typing in landscape mode. Overall, I like it.

If you drop it down from the smallest angle so that you've essentially just folded the cover back on itself, the angle for typing is better. They are carrying them at the Apple Store so you can probably pop over and give one a whirl. I hesitated to get a case at this point, since in 3 months the internets will be clogged with iPad case announcements, but you really do need something. Man oh man, would I love a case that had an integrated BT keyboard built into it some how.... that would be killer.... and probably foolishly expensive.

he's said a lot of stupid shit over the years (well, i wold argue that almost everything he's said has been stupid shit), but he hasn't called himself an asshole yet. he's like dvorak, only serious.

This was the first article I've read of his. I think it will be the last.