What are you driving your K1000 with?

swt61

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, in Pete Millett's page on his SRPP amp specifically for the K1000 he said OTL designs with a really large output impedance (30-50 ohms) make it sound thin.

Makes sense... IIRC the K1000 has a really funky impedance curve with a huge hump in the treble region rather than just in the midbass as is typical, so a high output impedance would emphasize that range and make it sound thinner. However, now that I think about it, I think that impedance hump correlated to the reduction in treble caused by the filter PCB. Without the PCB, it may have a more normal impedance curve, in which case it might very well sound better with a higher output impedance (to compensate for the elevated treble response). Hmm... that might be worth investigating further at some point.

SET amps with no NFB perform poorly at frequency extremes, so it was still probably output impedance. The SRPP amp also has roughly the same output impedance as SET 300B amps, depending on the transformer windings used. I think when Pete Millett mentions the K1000 needing a low output impedance, he means for a tube amp and mentions that the 7 ohm setting sounds good with the K1000. Fitz's idea of the PCB increasing the high frequency impedance to flatten frequency response makes a lot of sense and I would be very interested in seeing what would happen with OTL and the PCB removed. I won't be the one to first try it out, though. Something about me not wanting to screw around and break the most expensive headphone I have, by far.:P

So then what makes the 300B amp accentuate the bass so well. I don't mean subtly either.

There's no tellin', especially since I'm fairly uneducated wrt tube amps, but I highly doubt it's from a higher than normal output impedance, considering the K1000's impedance curve.

Fitz's idea of the PCB increasing the high frequency impedance to flatten frequency response makes a lot of sense and I would be very interested in seeing what would happen with OTL and the PCB removed. I won't be the one to first try it out, though. Something about me not wanting to screw around and break the most expensive headphone I have, by far.:P

Hahah, for some reason even though I'm extremely paranoid about working on other people's stuff, I have absolutely no hesitation taking apart and doing reckless things with my own gear. It's an absolute miracle I haven't ruined anything expensive yet. I don't know why the hell I didn't actually take a look at the filter PCB when I had it out last time. :palm:

The right ear-speaker on my K1000 did not work today when I tried to use them. :mad: Both sides were working fine last night so I have no idea what happened in the last 16 hours or so. There are no children nor pets in the house, so either my wife broke it due to all the attention the K1000 are getting or one of my recessive personalities broke it on purpose to get attention! :eek:

So I am coordinating w/ APureSound to have them take a look since the previous owner had them re-cable it w/ a the V2 cable. Sure hope is something simple otherwise I may have to look for a pair of replacement speakers. BTW my K1000 are mid production with S/N 06191.

Normally this would piss me off to no end, but since my father was diagnosed w/ "C" and so have a couple of friends things like this do not bother me as much.

jinp6301 thanks for the thought.

Fitz, I tried 2 other sources and three other amps. I would have plugged them to a 220 volt outlet if it would have helped. ;) I sure hope is something simple ... I have had them since 11/7 and man I love this suckers.

At least I received the HE5 and the EF5 today. Straight out of the box it is a very nice sounding can/amp, much better than I expected. I know I don't hear the upper frequencies as well as you youngsters but even so I hear no sibilance and the BASS is awesome!

It's not broken again is it? I'll be :nate: if it is.

I was tryin' to keep it on the down low. The first thing that entered my mind after the smoke came through the vent holes (well after (#&!)&*%#$^!#!!!) was damn, right after all of Nate's hard work! It was sounding soooo good too!

We've already talked now, so you know that at least the timing was somewhat good, as a re-case and gain change was in the immediate future anyway. That and the fact that I still have my integrated and the F5 is close to being ready for duty. So it sucks big fat donkey dicks, but it could be a lot worse.