belt drive cd transports

mjb

what is the reasoning behind using a belt-driven cd transport which differentiates it from a direct/gear-driven transport? is it one of those "isolation" things? which i guess leads to the next question... i understand when it comes to tubes and cartridges, but how can minor/micro vibration have any affect on digital?

thanks,

mjb

IMO it is audiophool bullshit. CDs do not travel at a constant RPM, at least according to this:

Revolutions per minute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These drives play off the belt drive turntable reputation. Since turntables DO travel at a constant rate of 33 rpm (or 45, etc.), there is merit in the use of a belt drive here. But not so much in a device that must change speeds, which a belt drive is not as good at as direct drive. Some people do swear by them though (CEC is it?).

I'm designing a transport that uses anti-gravity to keep the disc spinning at a constant rotational speed, with no motor noise or wow and flutter. So far so good, but the cost of having to fly above the Earth's atmosphere to listen to it may hurt the sales projections.

I'm designing a transport that uses anti-gravity to keep the disc spinning at a constant rotational speed, with no motor noise or wow and flutter. So far so good, but the cost of having to fly above the Earth's atmosphere to listen to it may hurt the sales projections.

Discmaster.jpg

OK, not anti-gravity, but the motor does drive the platter without being physically connected to it in any way. :)

think the teac VRDS is another sort of beast, not belt driven...

i do have one belt-driven transport (C/BD-2000)... it does sound very unique... strangely, more "analogue" than the rest of 'em. very smooth with great midrange. top end sounds weird and bottom has no impact. observations confirmed by multiple totally uninterested female parties.

have always suspected a clock upgrade would really help this one. haven't tried again since acquiring digital lens...

theory is the weight of the cd/heavy puck mechanism coupled with the isolation of the belt shields the rotating mass from wow/flutter/pulses caused by the motor, thus providing the frickin' laser beam with a "more perfect"ly smooth read on the pits and lands. *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...

4-5 hours for the shortest days in Anchorage.

I would go out into the back yard and talk to this particular Moose. He seemed to like that. He'd get about 4' from me, and just watch my every move. He was raised in the downtown area. His Mother visited my yard often when he was just a few weeks old. The big Cottonwood tree in my backyard was his bed. Well under the tree that is.