Laptops without touchpads?

Both my dad and my laptop are dead because of the same problem and hp wants $400 USD to fix it.
Really sorry to hear about your dad, but if they can bring him back, $400 seems worth it to me. Unless, of course, he's a zombie. But maybe you could teach him frisbee or something, I don't know, I guess it depends on your relationship with your dad.

The touchpad on Macbook is much nicer than Windows Laptop. I'd fix it if I were you.

Dan fixed it at CanJam for me, so I'm good. Unfortunately, the laptop has seen better days (now making horrible noises), and I'm hoping Apple comes out with that snazzy new thing everyone is talking about soon or I'm going to break down and buy a netbook to tide me over, though I really don't want to.

Dusty, though I'm sure you've already thought of it and dismissed it being more of a geek than I, but if you can't find what you want, why not just get one of those wireless mice things. Doug had one when he was here, and it would seem to eliminate the whole trackpad issue quite nicely.

Edited by boomana

Really sorry to hear about your dad, but if they can bring him back, $400 seems worth it to me. Unless, of course, he's a zombie. But maybe you could teach him frisbee or something, I don't know, I guess it depends on your relationship with your dad.

Thats what I get for posting late at night. Also hate the fact that I can't edit my posts. I guess a 's goes a long way.:palm:

No worries, I was just having some fun.

...why not just get one of those wireless mice things. Doug had one when he was here, and it would seem to eliminate the whole trackpad issue quite nicely.
Oh, that's a given (actually in my case, it'd be a wired trackball, but...whatever) -- the problem is more of ... oh, I don't know, just plain desire. I just plain don't want it on there. It strikes me as a waste of space/resources/money, since I know I won't be using it. I realize that's largely psychological, since it probably doesn't contribute that much to the cost of the laptop (and eliminates many cheaper options by forcing me to compromise in other areas), but it just irks me. And since I have plenty of time (I've waited this long to get a laptop, can wait a couple months longer) to shop around, might as well determine if definitively if that is indeed the case, or go with the BIOS or hardware shutoff (my two more favorite choices of those mentioned).

Update: I tried to figure out how to shut off the trackpad on my housemate's laptop; it wasn't easy. (Just as an "exercise".) There was no Function-F8 or Function-F9, that I could find. Also couldn't find anything under control panel, nor in the documentation. (I think it's a 2-year-old Sony Vaio.)

Of course, this makes some kind of sense, since I didn't have a second pointer attached, it might have behaved differently if I actually had an external mouse or trackball, I don't know, but I'd still like something that I don't have to turn off every time I boot up.

The point of this exercise was to determine if I still needed to look for that capability in models, or just ignore it altogether -- seems like I can't ignore it altogether. So if anyone else has any specific experience with either specific models or specific manufacturer lines that either have hardware override, or some sort of BIOS setting that lets you permanently disable the trackpad, I'd like to hear from you.

Could you explain your hatred? I'm trying to understand what there is to hate.
Contrary to the "predisposed" theory, I didn't start out hating them. It wasn't until work gave me a laptop for an extended period that I learned to hate them (prior to that I was only mildly irritated by them, and perfectly willing to just Suckitup

I frequently use the trackpad without moving my hands to quickly do something like select text then switch back. Part of why you have trouble imagining it is because you've decided that because of one bad experience, the whole concept must suck...

On the contrary -- here's an analogy. (One with which I personally relate.) I'm a keyboardist (musician). I've tried taking up the guitar, and I find it extremely difficult. Not just because I'm a beginner, but because I'm used to it (making music) being easy for me, so I find the fact that it's hard for me to make music (on the guitar) particularly frustrating. I do not think that the whole concept sucks, I realize I just need to perservere until it's easy enough to accomplish the things I want to accomplish with it, and I greatly admire people who can make music on the guitar better than I can.

Similarly with touchpads (and mice for that matter) -- I don't think that you're retarded because you can work efficiently with both a mouse and a keyboard, or a trackpad and a keyboard, I just don't see the point in me having to do that, since I don't have to, for anything I need to accomplish. On the contrary, I think I'm the retarded one because I just can't seem to get it, but I don't see the point in continuing trying to teach the pig to sing, as it were. It just frustrates the farmer, and makes an awful racket, which usually ends in bacon.

There, happy? Can we please put this part of the discussion to bed now?

Jesus Peter, sensitive much? :rolleyes: I was honestly curious because I've had issues with them in the past as well and was wondering if the solutions that I'd found would help you deal with your problems.

I know use a program called TouchFreeze that disables the touchpad while you type and it has worked wonders. You just have to remember to turn it off if you want to game or perform tasks that require simultaneous mouse and keyboard inputs.

That is pretty friggin' cheap, thanks for posting that. I conservatively put together a system I wanted, and it was a little more than a thousand dollars (which is a great price). Too bad I have neither a thousand dollars to spare, nor a friend with an amex card to use.