Mac Mini as Music Server

VPI

As I am further developing my computer as a source set up I have come to the realization that placing a Mac Mini in the rack might be my best option.

Right now I can run audio from my Mac Pro or my Macbook Pro via, USB, Firewire or AES/EBU from the Pro. Unfortunately I do not want to give up the Macbook Pro as my listening room computer and the Mac Pro is several rooms away.

My plan is to put the Mac Mini in the rack with iTunes and Amarra installed. Then I believe I can control the Mac Mini either by my laptop or with my Touch if I leave Amarra up as it interfaces with the Rowmote App. I could then take the Squeezebox out of the system and run USB or Firewire out of the Mac and into one of my many DACs.

So what am I missing?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could just hook up a monitor for set up and then view remote desktop for everything else?

This would not cost much more than the NAS drive needed to run the PerfectWave bridge and I would be able to use the Amarra in this scenario and greatly cut down on random cables running through the house.

You aren't missing anything that I can think of. I have a Mac Mini as my music server, and it works great with Amarra. Jon Reichback of Sonic prefers the Mini and the Amarra website has a nice list of things you can do to maximize the performance by getting rid of stuff you don't need and turning shit off. Max out the RAM and processor for sure.

What is the deal with Rowmote? The Remote program on the iPhone works fine but I am not sure what Rowmote is. Streaming elsewhere is apparently possible, but probably not the actual Amarra output. Check Computer Audiophile for info on that in one or more of the Amarra threads.

Enjoy!

So I need to get the top of the line model just to be safe. I assume it is easy to add RAM to these things.

Rowmote is a more advanced remote that Amarra recommends for controlling their software.

Ask JP if it is easy to open up and re-close a Mac Mini! :o It was a nightmare for him, but he was doing something more than just RAM. I had it done by Apple because their prices are a little better these days.

I use a Mac Mini with Sonic Studio 302 but waiting on the Amarra demo. I have a long dvi cable so my monitor is next to where I sit and control everything from there instead of relying on a remote. I need to up the ram in my mini and will likely take it to the Apple Store to have it done. Jp has added ram in his mini but when he mentioned having to move stuff out of the way, I was concerned I would f something up.

you can DIY the RAM but it involves two putty knives, a steady hand and removal of a few things prior to getting to the ram. Not a hard job but the reward is saving $80 or so vs lunching your mac mini.

I've done it successfully twice but not so with a fan replacement, that effectively killed the Mini. Check out you tube and a few of the on-line tutorials to see if this project is for you.

The newer minis max at 4gigs of RAM and that is just past the threshold for amarra at 3gigs. I am considering a used G5 tower as the max RAM is higher, I can get my HDs internal and have multiple firewire connections all internal. Also future upgrades like a SSD HD will be easy to perform.

Check the online store, their shipping is crazy fast and they may have one configured, you never know. I'm actually using the prev. gen Mac Mini with 2g of RAM at work and I have had no latency issues. But it is totally dedicated as a music server and I have not tried Amarra on it.

I intend to buy the fully loaded model as I am very good at the destruction of, but not so good at the working on electronics.

The Apple online store is also showing a bit longer delay on the Mini so I really think Tuesday might bring an upgrade so I will at least wait that long. Best Buy is out of the Mini as is TekServe here in the City so something is definitely coming.

Curious if there is some sort of Mini upgrade. I am somewhat amazed -- but very happy -- that they have kept it in the lineup.

I talked to the girl at the Apple Store and when I asked if a new version was coming out she just smiled and said she did not know. I hope they are not just cutting it altogether but I do not think they could have kept that secret with all the Mac Rumor hounds.

I think it will just be an upgrade, but a better processor could be nice if it just means I wait a few days.

I talked to the girl at the Apple Store and when I asked if a new version was coming out she just smiled and said she did not know. I hope they are not just cutting it altogether but I do not think they could have kept that secret with all the Mac Rumor hounds.

I think it will just be an upgrade, but a better processor could be nice if it just means I wait a few days.

The Apple store monkeys don't get told anything. They aren't stupid though and everyone and their dog knows how to spot an upgrade about to happen. If they receive a new product ahead of announcement, the boxes are covered in black plastic which they aren't allowed to touch until a certain date. They wont tell you if they have anything covered in black plastic out the back either.