Mac Mini as Music Server

VPI

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I couldn't convince the Geniuses to sell me a Mini yet. They are all behind the black curtain. They wouldn't even tell me when they were doing the big unveil so I could go back.

The way I see it is this is a significant upgrade for the same price with the faster processor and 4 gb Ram standard. I was going to pay over a grand for a 2.26 ghz with the same RAM last week and now I will pay 799.00. Now if they will just sell me one.

unless you opt for the new server version ($999, 2x 500GB) a mini as a music server is a PITA since you'll run out of space. I use a 80GB mini with three (!) external drives, and unfortunately the external drives get noisy, so it's not great even for headphone use. better than a laptop tho' since you won't drop wifi so easily. I just keep adding drives until I find a silent huge one that does it all ;-)

Ok choice time, either I go new $699 mini (4gb ram) or 13' MacBook pro with 4gb ram upgradeable to 8 gb after ram prices drop.

The new mini would be cheaper of the two but I'm maxed at 4gb ram. The pro allows me to sell the netbook I use for patio listening/travel.

While it is argueable that more than 4gb ram is overkill I recall 64mb of ram being overkill 12 years ago. Am I missing any obvious advantage/disadvantage between the two I'm thinking about?

Why not stick with what you have until there is a compelling upgrade? Don't buy a computer for future upgrades, it'll be cheaper to get that later. I personally always shoot for the midpoint of what's current, or a top of the line previous gen system.

Why not stick with what you have until there is a compelling upgrade? Don't buy a computer for future upgrades, it'll be cheaper to get that later. I personally always shoot for the midpoint of what's current, or a top of the line previous gen system.

Yeah, because "buy behind the curve" is such popular advice in these parts! :D