Which is most accurate? Which one looks best?

aerius

Same photo, five different interpretations. Some changes are obvious, others are more subtle. Which one do you like best, and which one do you think is the most accurate representation of the actual real life scene? Something to think about and keep in mind when we're out listening to gear, doing comparisons and so forth.

IMG_8411a.jpg

IMG_8411b.jpg

IMG_8411e.jpg

IMG_8411c.jpg

IMG_8411d.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, actually, the reason is that is the strategy I used to decide which I liked best. Scanned them all quickly a couple of times and just picked. Really couldn't articulate why with much insight. I've been trying to do this with decisions when I find myself waffling. I think it may be applicable to your larger point. Or I'm just full of shit. Likely both.

I object!

Sorry, Dinny had me in lawyer mode. Actually, I like number two and think it is the most realistic representation. The foreground stands out and seems to add depth to the scene. I also see Satan in the background waving a pair of Grados at me............

I also prefer the first. It has the least yellow, and the contrast I most prefer. It looks like it also has the saturation cranked somewhat, though, so while it's not the most natural to my eyes it IS my favorite. #2 seems to have a green push, which makes it look sickly to me. #4 is the most natural, to my eyes.

That said, all of our monitors are likely calibrated differently. I use mine to edit photos occasionally, so I tried to calibrate it as close to neutral as I could.

I honestly think the 1st one looks the most natural.

Also, now that I think about it, I'm gonna look at the names of each file if I was to save the pic, because most people name photo alterations in sequence, so the first one (not in order posted, but in alphabetical/numerical order) should, if my theory is correct, be the original.:indra:

EDIT: Dahahaha! Well, what do you know... :D

I understand what you are saying but number 2 looks just like my neighborhood so to me that is the most natural because that is what I see every day I am out and about. Perhaps then what seems the most familiar is what one subconsciously seems to prefer.

I understand what you are saying but number 2 looks just like my neighborhood so to me that is the most natural because that is what I see every day I am out and about. Perhaps then what seems the most familiar is what one subconsciously seems to prefer.

This is because you aren't taking into account the toxics dumped into the waterways in your region, thereby affecting the way things look. I have photos from the original Garden of Eden, and the 1st pic resembles the shades and hues the most.

This is because you aren't taking into account the toxics dumped into the waterways in your region, thereby affecting the way things look. I have photos from the original Garden of Eden, and the 1st pic resembles the shades and hues the most.

I live in Ventura County, we don't have toxic waste out here, just toxic music.

All but #2 seem to be slanted towards the reds, and #2 is slanted towards the blue. #2 makes me think of those natural daylight light-bulbs.

With the shadows it seems to be closer to the start or the end of the day. #2 makes me think of it being earlier in the day, and #1 makes me think of later in the day but I feel like #1 is more accurate than the others.