Which is most accurate? Which one looks best?

aerius

#2, that one makes me feel like I could actually be there. It looks sharper to me also, which makes me feel like I can see everything like it were real, instead of just looking at a picture. #1 seemed most realistic at first, but upon further gazing, its #2 that is best/most realistic for me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, now that I think about it, I'm gonna look at the names of each file if I was to save the pic, because most people name photo alterations in sequence, so the first one (not in order posted, but in alphabetical/numerical order) should, if my theory is correct, be the original.:indra:

EDIT: Dahahaha! Well, what do you know... :D

The problem is I thought of that and randomized the names before uploading. I knew someone was going to take a look at the filenames so I took care of that.

There's no way to tell which is the most accurate without actually seeing it live.

Bingo, we have a winner. The only person who'd know for certain which one is the most accurate is me, since I'm the only one who was there to see the scene with my eyes.

Which goes back to the audio world and all the music which we use when auditioning equiment, doing comparisons, or just writing up casual impressions. Unless you were there for the recording & production of the music, how would you know how it's supposed to sound? Yet in countless review & impressions posts, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else, people claim that so & so is accurate and this gear is coloured since the music they're using should or shouldn't sound that way. But outside of a few rare cases, how can you know? Of all my CD's there's maybe 2 where I was there through the entire process with the musicians so I can definitively say, "yes, this is what the artist says it should sound like", and another couple albums where I can make a reasonable guess since I've been to the venue and I know the characteristics of the recording equipment. Everything else is a crapshoot, I can say what kind of gear makes it sound best to me but I can't make a guess at accuracy.

3rd one down is the most accurate one. The photo was taken on an overcast day with small breaks in the clouds so the lighting is soft with fairly low contrast which allows more saturation on the colours. I got the picture just as the sun was about to break through so there's a few highlights on the tree tops. The rest were edited for various effects.

Frankly, I think this exercise says more about the various processes we use to arrive at the decision "which is best." As for accuracy, meh, what's the original and what's most accurate and what's the artist's intent are the subjects of a gazillion signified/signifier/PoMo writings. It usually ends up in an endless loop of circular logic.

Ooh awesome. Interesting how I thought 3 looked the most fake due to the saturations and lack of any depth.

What the artist says it should sound like usually differs from what it actually ends up sounding like by quite a bit, so even the artist doesn't completely know how things will turn out. Now that I've acquired an extremely neutral and revealing setup (CR-620 -> SR-X Mk3) I realize every recording is mastered differently, some with more/less treble, harshness, flabby bass, etc etc, and the best way to enjoy music is to have your system make as much as it can sound good. And thus is the difference between pro audio and audiophile gear.

Yet in countless review & impressions posts, and I'm as guilty of it as anyone else, people claim that so & so is accurate and this gear is coloured since the music they're using should or shouldn't sound that way. But outside of a few rare cases, how can you know?

I'm speaking for myself, but I go to a lot of classical concerts at different venues, I've played trumpet in a youth symphonic orchestra and I participated in a couple of big bands and harmonies so I know pretty much how unamplified instruments are supposed to sound. Since I've started this hobby, I've played my music collection on a bunch of different setups and I figured out which albums sound like the real thing and which ones do not. One variable left is whether sound engineers wanted to give a certain studio flavor to the album or if they wanted it to sound like live music. I always take for granted that they want it to sound like live music, but I could be wrong.

The last variable left is how much my setup affects the sound. So I don't think it too far-fetched to use words such as "accurate" and "coloured".

With that said, I have no clue if my audio memory is accurate and if my hearing is good, medium or bad, and there are no real ways to test that, so what I said above could be void by that. :)

Thumbs up for the thread, it was an interesting idea.