HF-2 problems - HELP.....

forbigger

Guys, just notice today that my HF-2 emits a buzzing sound when the notes hit a mid note. Like when the piano note hits, the driver buzz. Anyone experience this before ? Is there a way to fix this or should send to Grado for repair ? I hate sending it cause I live in the other part of the world.....but if push comes to shove......

Thanks

No visible debris or hair......but use can compressed air and clean it......looks like its gone.....

Apology Nate for storming and make a new thread.....I really freaked out and its like 3 am. Didn't realize the buzz till i listen to single piano song and no other background instrument......

Thanks once again

I panicked.......so as soon as I saw Nate's post and the can was at the desk in front of me.....the rest is history. I use it with a reasonable distance from the grille, approx 15cm ? After all, I guess I'm lucky the driver not screwed......

Hehehehe, I know that feeling. Got the same problem on my PS1, the difference was that the hair wasn't onto the driver, but it was my own hair -the side whiskers-. Had to learn to set the hair before putting on the phones :P

Well, I for one DO have a problem with my HF2s.

Since 'day one', the right driver sounded... er... not right to me. Ok, it sounded right, but in certain moments (bass content) with certain volume level (high) there was one 'clicking' noise, to me this sounds like the driver vibrating and touching onto something.

After many (many) burn-in hours, this is still here. And no matter the amp (M3, Beta22, hp out of player, etc) but, as stated, only in some passages with hard bass notes. In normal use (my listening level is quite low, I want to keep my hearing) this is not a problem and I am quite happy with them (believe it or not, my first Grado's!).

I compared mine with a friend's HF2 (fresher but burn-in too) and clearly I have a problem (no noise on theirs).

Todd suggest shipping them back to Grado as they are under warranty (obvious) but the cost of shipping both ways (plus eventual customs) does not exactly atract me.

I looked inside the grilles and saw, on the right side, the cable entering and touching the driver: I have still to try to bend the cable far from the driver with some wire (no disassembly), but when we looked at my friend's HF2 by the grilles the cables looked much worser bent/glued (!)...

I recall having read on some forum about this same problem (clicking noise with bass on Grado's) on the past, but am unable to find any info.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Josep

Maybe you just can push the wire a bit into the cup, so there's more wire inside, then hopefully it won't touch the driver. It will work as long as the solder joint is upside, away from the wire entrance into the cup.

My HF2 seem to be glued inside, so I can't push more wire inside -not that it's needed-, but on the PS1, which don't have glue holding the wire, I need to do that from time to time, otherwise I get something very similar to what you're describing.

:D:D:D:D

Thanks Antonio! I suspected something like that, and your message pushed me to 'play' with a steel wire on my HF2 cables.

Mine are not glued btw, they have just a blob of glue to avoid the cable to be pulled out, but you can feed it inside if so inclined.

I will email Todd suggesting this solution if any other customer has this problem... much easy/quick/cheap than sending them to Grado NY :chair:

Regards from a, now, 100% satisfied HF2 owner :P