The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Hey guys, I was just invited to a concert by the pianist of the ATOS Trio who I personally know, and just wanted to let you guys know the dates and cities they're touring.

February 12 New York, NY

February 14 San Antonio, TX

February 16 Cincinnati, OH

February 17 Cerritos, CA

February 19 Carmel, CA

February 20 San Diego, CA

February 21 Mill Valley, CA

Program:

Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy - Trio No.2 in c-minor, op.66

Gaspar Cassado - Trio in C-Major

Franz Schubert - Trio No.2 in Eb-Major, op.100

The best chamber group I've heard live. The pianist is stunning, and the best accompanist I've ever had the pleasure of working with by far. I've heard the Guarneri Quartet who were in residency at my school and have even been coached by most of the members in it but caught them in their last few years, and they just disbanded.

I'm going to try to make it to the NY one at Carnegie, Weill Recital Hall.

:D Great! The concert starts at 7:30pm (technically, he said the concert would be 8-10) so we'd still have to leave pretty early... at maybe 2:30pm. Not sure about trains but there are plenty of buses from DC to NY, for example BoltBus https://www.boltbus.com/ which has departure time 3pm and arrival time 7:15pm. I might take the College Park metro down to DC. Driving is another possibility for sure, but driving around and parking in NYC is kind of a bitch. Still got a couple weeks to figure out logistics...

http://www.carnegiehall.org/article/box_office/events/evt_12303.html?selecteddate=02122010

Tickets are $34

:D Great! The concert starts at 7:30pm (technically, he said the concert would be 8-10) so we'd still have to leave pretty early... at maybe 2:30pm. Not sure about trains but there are plenty of buses from DC to NY, for example BoltBus https://www.boltbus.com/ which has departure time 3pm and arrival time 7:15pm. I might take the College Park metro down to DC. Driving is another possibility for sure, but driving around and parking in NYC is kind of a bitch. Still got a couple weeks to figure out logistics...

ATOS Trio

Tickets are $34

boltbus is great. Also megabus is great. (both have free wifi/power plugs)Much less hobos then regular grayhound/shortline buses.

San Francisco Symphony tonight, conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas, with artist in residence Yo Yo Ma performing:

Sibelius, Oceanides

Shostakovich, Cello Concerto No. 2, with Yo Yo Ma

Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 2, Little Russian

Really nice program, and YYM was cool. MTT is very sassy and actually turned to the audience and prompted applause in between movements of the Tchaikovsky. Never seen that before.

Lapdance Armageddon and Steve Morse at Slim's, San Francisco

Very enjoyable. LA explained the derivation of their name, a combination of the accessible and enjoyable (hence Lapdance) and the challenging (Armageddon).

Two talented pickers.

I'm suprised that its taken me this long to see the winner of Guitar Players "Best Overall Guitarist" for five consecutive years, live. It was worth the wait however. It seems like only yesterday I was listening to "The Introduction" on a flexi disc.

The ety ER-20's proved their worth, as I was able to enjoy the entire set, and leave the gig with my hearing intact.

All this and I got lucky with both parking and the weather (The Bay Area is in the path of several storm systems at them moment). What more could you want.

Saw Epica tonight, definitely the best show I have ever seen. They were right on, except I think Simone lost her monitor for a few seconds during Tides of Time. Practically flawless performance though, amazing set, and I had the best location in the house.

IMG_1616.jpg?t=1264578465

Encores were Quietus, Sancta Terra, and Consign to Oblivion.

IMG_1627.jpg?t=1264578469

IMG_1624.jpg?t=1264578479

Full Album

Olivier Cave (Pianist) playing Scarlatti and others at the Phillips Collection (his north american debut). Really excellent acoustics in that small chamber music hall. I went because a friend of the family knows the guy but I'm really glad I went because it was amazing. He is a wonderful pianist. Up there with Evgeny Kissin for me though that could just have been the intimacy coloring my impression.

Ordered his CD (import=$$) and we'll see if the impression stays.