The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

That's because Clapton is BORING even if it is cool to see him play. :cool:

Definitely. He makes no connection (nor does he try) with the audience.

other then a few smiles and the occasional "its an honor to play for you", he pretty much just zipped through the songs. Obviously the cat can play, and the fact that he is Eric Clapton helps, but the energy in that room was low. I chalked some of it up to that I'm just not used to sitting through a concert. During one of the songs my GF asked me if I wanted to dance, and I told her I'd love to but I didn't want to piss anybody off.

anyway I might drive back to NOLA for Drive-By Truckers this weekend. they are playing Friday and Saturday at Tipitinas.

Last night, Wilco at the Filmore in Miami Beach. As always, a great show. After that, we went over to the Van Dyke Cafe on Lincoln Road and caught Tom Toyama, who is a vibe player. He had a few others in the band including a very attractive young lady that played piano and Japanese drums. It was a late night and today will be a long day but worth it.

Lat night, my wife and I went to Kennedy Center to Washington National Opera's Porgy and Bess. I have no other productions to compare to but I thought it was excellent. Some of the atonal stuff at the beginning was a bit odd for me but overall I very much enjoyed it. Porgy in particular was excellent.

Last night, Wilco at the Filmore in Miami Beach. As always, a great show. After that, we went over to the Van Dyke Cafe on Lincoln Road and caught Tom Toyama, who is a vibe player. He had a few others in the band including a very attractive young lady that played piano and Japanese drums. It was a late night and today will be a long day but worth it.

Wilco plus a jazz show on a monday night? What a wild man!

Imogen Heap last night. She is AMAZING live, just an incredible show. Thoroughly worth every cent.

/me is jealous

I saw the XX last Thursday at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill. It was a really great show, not high energy, but high on emotions. :) Going back tonight for Major Lazer. I'm sure that show will also be high on something.

/me is jealous

I saw the XX last Thursday at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill. It was a really great show, not high energy, but high on emotions. :) Going back tonight for Major Lazer. I'm sure that show will also be high on something.

:) I haven't been listening to anything but Imogen since I got back from her concert. Regrettably, I missed the chance to watch the XX recently. Damn.

Saw the Tord Gustavsen Ensemble on Saturday. It was a great show. Tord usually plays with a trio but it was expanded to include a sax player (tenor and some kind of midget tenor or alto) and singer. They focused on the very cool new ECM album called Restored, Returned which includes songs based on W.H. Auden poems, and it was awesome. Their sound guy was called the sixth member of the quintet and he truly did an amazing job in a small space with very high ceilings, etc. Great show, and highly recommended.

Al, Brad Mehldau 4/1 - 4/4 and Bill Frisell 4/8 - 4/11 at Yoshi's.

Thanks Mike. I got an email on that this morning. The Frisell lineup in particular is really cool:

Thursday, April 8

BILL FRISELL with MARC RIBOT, GREG LEISZ and mystery guest

from Nashville featuring TONY SCHERR & KENNY WOLLESEN

Friday, April 9

BILL FRISELL'S MUSIC FOR FILMS

featuring TONY SCHERR & KENNY WOLLESEN

Saturday, April 10

BILL FRISELL QUINTET PLAYS THE MUSIC OF JOHN LENNON

featuring JENNY SCHEINMAN, GREG LEISZ, TONY SCHERR & KENNY WOLLESEN

Sunday, April 11

BILL FRISELL with JASON MORAN & KENNY WOLLESEN

that's an affirmative.

Nice.

Paul McCartney at the Hollywood on March 30, 2010

rolling stone wrote a bang-up review...

Paul McCartney Revisits Beatles Classics, Solo Gems at Hollywood Bowl Marathon : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

i wanted to bring my camera, but left it in the car as i always worry i'll have to hike back to the car with it or it will get confiscated. a ton of people were taking pictures and some even recording videos as there are already at least 15 or so such videos on youtube.

here are some of the photos i shot with my iPhone from my terrace box -- the quality and no zoom is upsetting.

pre-concert

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

all my loving & got to get you into my life

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

blackbird

IMG_0925.jpg

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

let it be

IMG_0937.jpg

live and let die

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

ah, look at all the happy people... (never seen the bowl so full. in fact, i didn't see a vacant seat.)

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

confetti (the end)

IMG_0980.jpg

on so many different levels, this had to be the most amazing and awe inspiring concert i've ever been too.

• 2 weeks later...

I had superb seats at the Muse show this past Friday at US Airways Center, where the band killed it. It was an excellent show with over-the-top mind blowing effects and sound. There are plenty of youtube clips for the interested fans of Muse, I will link a few of them.

:o

muselive.jpg

The introduction and lead into the first song, 'Uprising', was nothing short of spectacular.

^ Here is one of the better of the angles and videos showing the intro, which was awe inspiring. The visual of the building lights going on and off, then of people making their way up stair cases, followed by people falling from the buildings and down the stairs produced a convincing spectacle with the video screens Muse employed. Giant covers come off the buildings and the band is playing 20-25' on platforms in the middle of the towers. Those platforms raised and lowered throughout the show. And later, the center pillar showcased a bass guitar and drum solo with a rotating platform. Here is a video clip of the bass guitar/drum solo.

I thought the band's Nirvana cover of 'School / Nameless' and the 'Star Spangled Banner' were just great and I was not at all expecting to hear them. I cannot find a link to those videos, but it rocked out.

The laser storm during 'New Born' was something to see from the seats we had, here is a clip from the floor where the sound quality of the camera used does not do the song justice. The idea of the lasers and lights in this clip is a better shown than I can describe, especially about half way through the song..

mused.jpg

I also thought that Supermassive Black Hole was exceedingly brilliant live, below is a video with a nice straight on shot.

And

[/video is another video of 'Supermassive Black Hole' that captures the stage antics and the way the visuals were displayed differently on each building. Too bad there is some tool bag in this camera angle that sings along almost the whole song like some unstoppable moron. :palm: Thankfully, there were no such knobs near me singing out loud like that for the show. (nor teen girls screaming as loud as possible)

The band really shredded it up during 'Stockholm Syndrome' too, here is a clip if you are interested in the aural mayhem they unleashed on us 'Zonie's. The visuals and guitar rips were so tasty during this song, it was epic.

Here is a clip from the song 'The Resistance', the sound quality of the clip is not the greatest, but the video shows the great detail of the visuals shown on those large buildings.

I really dug 'Feelin' Good' and the piano with the lights coming out of it. It was a nice touch with the mega-phone - too. That took me back to the STP concert days.

^ Here is the video.

The quality of this clip below is very good, this is during the song 'Time is Running Out'.

"]

I had an outstanding time overall and my brain was on the ground for great portions of the show, it was a treat. I hope there is a DVD coming out of the Phoenix show or some stop on this tour, as the sound and visuals were nothing short of stunning. Good stuff.

Ahh..I just found the clip that contains the Nirvana covers, a portion of 'School' and 'Nameless'. It is after 'Stockholm Syndrome', where the band was just ripping it up.. If interested, Here is the video to that clip with both Nirvana covers (where the clip above cuts off after Nirvana's 'School'), it was awesome to see.

Here is another clip with the Piano, the song is 'United States of Eurasia'. I like the operatic tone of this track (reminding me of Queen), which is mixed with a little eastern influence heard in the refrain. It was very good live and is my favorite song off the new album, for what it is worth.

Wondering if anyone else caught a leg of this show on the boards. Whether a fan or not, Muse really sounds great live and they put on quite a show.

Ween this past weekend at the Tabernacle in Atlanta was outstanding. just check out this epic encore: Ohio, Right to the Ways and the Rules of the World, She Fucks Me, Let Me Lick Your Pussy. For LMYLP Gener left the stage after the main body of the song and the bouncers started letting every chick in the venue up on stage. i have no idea how long they jammed it out while the massive crowd of females grinded on and made out with a grinning Deaner (to Dean's wife: he never kissed back) but it felt like 15 minutes. then Deaner left the stage yet they just kept jamming, before the drummer finally wrapped it up.

tons of awesome moments in the show, but a smashing cover of Bowie's "Lets Dance" comes to mind. perfectly played and an insane amount of fun.

iphone pic of deaner getting molested:

24739_10150188573365585_543445584_12146262_4499213_n.jpg

anyway the brothers ween are both a bit old and lumpy but they still bring the darkness. an outstanding show! the overall dark tone left me feeling very icky and strange.