The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Too humid to stay out there. I was only there until 9:30, and I left just in time as when I got to 5th AVE, it started to rain. I was so far back I could barely hear anything. Oh well, it wasn't too bad though. I enjoyed the time with my friends. It was basically background music for us to chat, snack, and play some cards.

Paul McCartney at Citifield last night.

Great concert the man still got it.

Last time I saw him was at Shea stadium in 1965 Beatles concert,sound Quality was much better this time around,but no other concert I have ever seen is more memorable then the 65 concert with the 56,000 screaning fans.

Edited by bozebuttons

• 2 weeks later...

While I was in Amsterdam two weeks ago, I grabbed a last-minute ticket at the Concertgebouw, which is recognised to be one of the world's finest concert halls in terms of acoustics.

It was the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande with conducter Marek Jakowski and solist Arabella Steinbacher on the violin. First part of the concert was Mozart's 3rd violin concerto and second part was Bruckner's 5th symphony. It was seriously one the best aural experience I've ever had, truly spectacular sound. Compared the my usual concert hall (Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier in Montreal), the notes had a longer decay and had more "air" to breathe, and everything was crystal clear, from the contrabasses to the piccolo.

If you have the chance to go to Amsterdam, grab tickets at 10 euros 45 minutes before the show and for that price you even get free wine during the intermission!

3580425133_29476391c4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Little late with this one:

Depeche Mode

1 September 2009

Lakewood Amphitheatre

Atlanta, GA

In Chains

Wrong

Hole to Feed

Walking in My Shoes

It's No Good

A Question of Time

Precious

Fly on the Windscreen

Jezebel

Home

Miles Away/The Truth Is

Policy of Truth

In Your Room

I Feel You

Enjoy the Silence

Never Let Me Down Again

Encore:

Somebody

Stripped

Behind the Wheel (extended hard dance version)

Encore 2:

Personal Jesus

Waiting for the Night

Awesome show. High energy from the whole band, especially Gahan, who is one of the happiest freaking frontmen I've seen live. My one quibble is he does that thing a lot where he holds the mic out to the crowd to sing the chorus. There were entire songs where he didn't even sing the chorus once. Gore was the real attraction for me. They are both amazing vocalists, and I still consider Gahan to be the best, but it was Gore's singing that really got to me. Truly better to hear it live then to listen to records at home, which means it has only improved with age.

I had not been to Lakewood since the last time Phish played. Lakewood is also the place I saw Phish for the first time so it holds special significance. My girlfriend and her friend were given passes to the after show meet and greet by someone on the event staff, so I was able to walk around and kill some time in the venue while they met M. Gore. :-)

8134_284689850584_543445584_8795537_688882_n.jpg

here's a shot of roughly where I was standing when I first saw Phish in 2000. I was 18 years old.

U2 360 tour opening in Chicago (Sunday night) at Soldier Field. Impressive stage/lighting, etc., but the sound was bad... very loud, but bad. Bono's voice sounded very good (when the flabby bloated bass wasn't wreaking havoc on all), better than in 2001 when I had seen them previously.

They didn't dwell on old material but played alot of the new CD... too bad they didn't play one of the last 4 songs that verge on acceptable from this :palm: On Saturday 7 of 23 were from the new CD. Even the old stuff they did Sunday couldn't get me going because of the sound, and oh yeah, the sound.

setlist:

Breathe

No Line on the Horizon

Get on Your Boots

Magnificent

Beautiful Day

Still Haven't Found

Elevation

Your Blue Room

Unknown Caller

Until the End of the World

Stay

Unforgettable Fire

City of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

I'll Go Crazy If I don't Go Crazy Tonight Remix

Sunday Bloody Sunday

MLK

Walk On

One

Streets

Ultraviolet

With or Without You

Moment of Surrender

We didn't get there early enough to make it to our seats while Snow Patrol was playing. I haven't listened to them at all, other that what I have caught on the radio, but they sounded OK from within the stadium. Wouldn't have minded catching them, but misjudged traffic.

Saturday night, The Galaxy, Santa Ana: Paul Collins Beat, Pansy Division, The Avengers

Sunday night, The Echo, Hollywood: Paul Collins Beat, Pansy Division, The Avengers

This moring: Tired as fuck.

The Avengers were fucking awesome. Penelope's still hot and still got the pipes. Greg is my kind of guitarist, and two guys from Pansy Division do an admirable job of covering bass & drums. The setlist was 50% different from Sat/Sun...between the two nights, I heard damn near every Avengers track ever -and half of them twice. Totally worth the trip.

I never heard Paul Collins before. I guess he's had more than a few bands - The Nerves, The Beat, etc etc. Not exactly my kinda shit, but still pretty good.

Pansy Division put on a pretty entertaining show, and I'll say I'm a bigger fan now than I was previously. Unfortunately, they basically played the same set both nights. Highlight: at the end of the show, (Chris?) the bassist, who was by then in a shiny dress, ran around the entire venue squirting silly-string at everyone. Well some fat cholos at the Galaxy didn't take kindly to that, and infuriated'ly bitched for 10 minutes afterwards, which was hilarious.

Mike Gordon @ Workplay in Birmingham. Great show, he's got a band that can kick a wide variety of interesting jams. I sometimes found the guitarist wanting, but for the most part he could play. Lots of quirky Gordo numbers along with a few choice covers, most noticeably Radiohead's "15 Steps" and Beatles "She Said, She Said".

Mike was in a great mood the whole night, smiling and telling the crowd he loved them and whatnot. After the show he went to the merch table and bullshitted with everyone and signed autographs for anyone who wanted one. I picked up the LP of "The Green Sparrow" and had him sign it, which is fun. Its translucent green vinyl and has not really impressed me sonically.

My first time at Workplay, its a great small venue with excellent acoustics. I was surprised that I did not need my ear plugs.

So when you say, "metal", you mean the really hard stuff, eh? Like Naglfar and The Crown and God Forbid and Unexpect and stuff like that?

PM responded. I'll try to tell you closer to the day what T-shirt I'll be wearing, that's the easiest way, methinks. My eyesight is really bad, I didn't even recognize Justin from across the room at thrice's meet, even though I've met him several times. And it's only gotten worse since then. It's not that it's really bad -- it is, but not bottlebottom glasses bad -- it's that it's changed so quickly that I haven't gotten used to accomodating for it yet.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Yeah I guess that's what I mean. Although I still also don't get some of the more mellow stuff, too.

God damn, I can't wait. Haven't been this excited about something in a long time... mainly because I never have time to do anything fun. This weekend's no different, but I made an exception for one of the best bands ever.:) See you tomorrow, Dusty.

Going to see Butthole Surfers tonight in New Orleans.

Saw Mike Gordon in Bham last weekend. Did I post that already? Anyway it was a great show in a great venue: Workplay Soundstage/Theatre. I didn't even need my earplugs, very balanced mix. Mike was very friendly and hung around the merch table until everyone got all the autographs and weird Mike conversation they wanted. I got a signed LP.