The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Nice -- I'm curious how much instrumentals she does (not sure how to ask the question -- what percent?).

Last night was just her and acoustic guitars, save one song with her sound man on trumpet. 80% instrumental. She was very talkative between songs, very funny. And very obviously gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Because she had a good time, we had a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to get the Fall schedule of shows produced by FSU's student union. Much love to the unwashed activities fee paying masses and to whoever's in charge of spending that money to bring underrated affordable bands that I've lived with and loved but have never seen live. Or in one case I have, Tim Kasher is coming in September. I saw him with his band Cursive in the early 00's, counts among my favorite shows simply for the totally dissonant improvised cover of Milkshake (brings all the boys to the yard, yeah that one).

• 1 month later...

Saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band last night. But first off, opening act was the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and they fucking kicked ass and took names. There are 20 year olds who wish they could rock as hard as these fuckers did. It's one of the few times I saw a big crowd actually pay attention to the opening act.

As for Tedeschi Trucks, it was a great show. Lots of stuff from the Revelator album. Susan was in fine voice and showed herself to be a pretty damned good guitarist. Band included a horn section and two drummers and were really tight. As for Derek.... that kid can play a guitar. And the covers they did were my favorite - The Beatles "I've Got a Feeling", Sly Stone's "Sing a Simple Song/Wanna Take You Higher" but my favorite was an obvious tribute to his inspiration, Duane Allman, when they did "Anyday" by Derek and the Dominos, which then went into a jam that eventually evolved into the solo section from The Allman's "Blue Sky". It was beautiful and damned near brought tears to my eyes.

A great show to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Alison Krauss & Union Station last night, was great to see them again after last year at Telluride. Awesome concert, her voice sent a shiver down my spine too many times to count. ;) The set list included several songs off the new CD (my favorite was "Dimming of the Day") but some classic ones from older albums too, mostly New Favorite. One of the last songs was a new song w/ piano that was very bluesy and was really great, probably the highlight for me.

I have to remember to carry a pair of binoculars to concerts like these so I can actually see the band members and not just hear them. :P

Saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band last night. But first off, opening act was the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and they fucking kicked ass and took names. There are 20 year olds who wish they could rock as hard as these fuckers did. It's one of the few times I saw a big crowd actually pay attention to the opening act.

As for Tedeschi Trucks, it was a great show. Lots of stuff from the Revelator album. Susan was in fine voice and showed herself to be a pretty damned good guitarist. Band included a horn section and two drummers and were really tight. As for Derek.... that kid can play a guitar. And the covers they did were my favorite - The Beatles "I've Got a Feeling", Sly Stone's "Sing a Simple Song/Wanna Take You Higher" but my favorite was an obvious tribute to his inspiration, Duane Allman, when they did "Anyday" by Derek and the Dominos, which then went into a jam that eventually evolved into the solo section from The Allman's "Blue Sky". It was beautiful and damned near brought tears to my eyes.

A great show to say the least.

Pres Hall is amazing. They are always on the festival circuit here on the gulf coast so I make it a point to always stop by and pay my respects. I've still never been to the hallowed Preservation Hall in New Orleans, but before its over with I'll remedy that. Derek and Susan are phenomenal talents, but I have to admit I've never been fully moved by their brand of blues rock. I have immense respect for both of them, but in the end I think I'm just not much of a straight blues guy, so their music doesn't really speak to me. I have a guitar player friend who is so obsessed with them he would murder me in my sleep if he heard me say that.

As far as Derek stuff goes I like Tedeschi/Soul Stew stuff the least, Derek Trucks Band in the middle, then Allman Bros the best. Can't mess with the Brothers!

I've got a hefty live music calendar this Fall, especially since Phish graciously decided to not tour and therefore allow me to see other bands:

Elvis Costello in Mobile 9/15

Skrillex in New Orleans 9/30

Widespread Panic in Biloxi 10/2

Cake in New Orleans 10/15

Bassnectar in New Orleans 10/27

Voodoo Fest in New Orleans 10/28-30

STS9 in New Orleans 11/4

Bear Creek Music Festival in Live Oak, FL 11/11-13

String Cheese Incident in Atlanta 11/26

Judas Priest in Biloxi 12/3

Saw Alison Krauss & Union Station last night, was great to see them again after last year at Telluride. Awesome concert, her voice sent a shiver down my spine too many times to count. wink.png The set list included several songs off the new CD (my favorite was "Dimming of the Day") but some classic ones from older albums too, mostly New Favorite. One of the last songs was a new song w/ piano that was very bluesy and was really great, probably the highlight for me.

I have to remember to carry a pair of binoculars to concerts like these so I can actually see the band members and not just hear them. tongue.png

Allison Krauss tonight - very excited for this!

• 2 weeks later...

The guys that know me are used to me raving about each year's Monterey Jazz Festival. I usually follow that up by trying to convince them to attend one.

There's lots of reasons I love this festival and each year these reasons are different.

I just got back from this years festival and one of the performances on Sunday night was easily my favorite in the 15 years that I've been going.

An amazing jazz orchestra joined by one of my favorite living horn players, Terence Blanchard, did a tribute to the music of Gil Evans.

The set ended with a performance of the original score of "Sketches of Spain". It was awesome!

I don't believe that "Sketches..." has ever been performed live by a professional jazz group (only one college performance that I know of). For the trumpet player, performing it live is a real marathon and I doubt that Miles would have ever agreed to perform the entire piece in one whack (I'd seen him 6 times over a couple of decades).

It was goosebumps from beginning to end and a number of times I found myself tearing up from the privilege being there to hear and see it.

For a card carrying Mile Davis fan, Heaven had better step it's game up to come close to this one!

Yup, James Farm was fantastic! I'm a huge Redman fan so I wouldn't have missed that.

Other stand outs were; Hiromi (amazing piano and a monster trio),

Pizzarelli family with John and Bucky ending their show with a couple of duets,

Joey DeFranchesco with Bobby Hutcherson

And a very cool funk show with Ivan Neville playing an hour of Sly Stone.

Edited by ironbut

Went to see Peter Hook & The Light last night, at a nice smaller club in Boston. They did the entire Joy Division "Closer" album, plus a heck of a lot more! Almost 2 hours, with 3 encores of some great music. Joy Division held the title of my favorite group for many a year in the 80's and 90's, and this was an incredible stroll down memory lane.

Some pics attached. First is sign in bathroom that had to be taken, second and third Peter, fourth is Peter's son (who played damn well). EDIT: just found out his son was playing another Bass; this guitarist was not family laugh.png

post-1526-0-03106500-1316598229_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-25515900-1316598242_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-13415800-1316598249_thumb.jp

post-1526-0-97319500-1316598260_thumb.jp

Edited by skullguise

I'm jealous, Todd. Did they play Love Will Tear Us Apart? The tour isn't coming anywhere near me sadly. That would be such fun to see live.

They played LWTUA, all of the Closer album, several older songs from singles or Still, a couple from Unknown Pleasures, and finished their third encore (!) with Atmosphere and Ceremony. Almost 2 hours long, just amazing!

Ric and I went to see Polish trumpeter Tomasz Stanko's New York quartet with Craig Taborn on piano, Jim Black on drums, and Chris Lightcap on bass. They were awesome and alternated between melodic post bop and modern avante garde seemlessly. A few songs were like hearing an ECM record come to life. Stanko has kind of a raspy, breathy style that I really liked. Taborn was amazing and played both a grand piano and a Moog or other synthesizer that seemed to have a theramin-like feature he used in one song. Black on drums was a sleeper and went for subtle to slammin' over and over again. Both Ric and I thought the bass was a little lost in the mix but Lightcap was great and his few solos were very fluid and nice. Great band if you have a chance to see them.

Yes, if you like Opeth's last album and mellower, non growly music, they put on a good show. I would not drive 3 hours to see them, even if I still had a car, but that is because I have seen them like six times now and I am more of a fan of Still Life/Blackwater Park material. Katatonia was also good, though the bass was overwhelming the rest of the stuff unfortunately.