The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

It's not that often that in one night you can see world class jazz musicians play amazing arrangements of all these tunes:

Ornette Coleman -- When Will the Blues Leave

Thelonious Monk -- Crepescule With Nellie and San Francisco Holiday

Herbie Hancock -- And What If I Don't

Horace Silver -- Song For My Father (encore -- it made me think of Jacob)

For their 10th anniversary year, the SF Jazz Collective is doing a retrospective of their greatest hits, including their annual arrangements of a Jazz Giant's compositions and their own original compositions inspired by that artist.  We heard nine fabulous tunes, with two of Monk's because it would be his 96th birthday today.  I should have had a Brother Thelonious beer, which was available, but I really don't like it so I had a La Merle Saison instead.  I figured Monk wouldn't mind and would have made the same choice.

After the run here through Sunday, this is their very odd tour schedule coming up, and I highly recommend seeing them if you are able:

Oct 15 Chico, CA Laxson Auditorium Buy Tickets Oct 17 Santa Barbara, CA Campbell Hall Buy Tickets Oct 19 Los Angeles, CA Zipper Concert Hall Buy Tickets Oct 22 Seattle, WA Earshot Jazz Festival Buy Tickets Oct 23 Davis, CA Mondavi Center Buy Tickets Oct 26 Newport News, VA Ferguson Center Concert Hall Buy Tickets Oct 27 Winchester, VA Shenandoah University Buy Tickets
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In ten days I get to see Arkona (a rather obscure folk metal band from Moscow) play a headline slot in fucking Winnipeg - this is just amazing to me.

Everyone who has some interest in heavy music should try to get out to one of these shows, because this band really throws down.  I've seen them twice before, opening for other bands, and they are a force of nature, always completely stealing the show.  

File under "melodic traditional folk music underpinned by brutal screaming metal, fronted by a blonde bombshell wearing a wolf pelt".  Don't miss it.

10/28: Frederick, MD @ Café 611
10/29: Brooklyn, NY @ Saint Vitus
10/30: Montreal, QC @ Foufounes Electriques
10/31: Toronto, ON @ Wreck Room
11/1: Cleveland, OH @ Peabody's
11/2: Chicago, IL @ Reggie's Rock Club
11/4: Winnipeg, MB @ Park Theater
11/5: Regina, SK @ The Exchange
11/6: Edmonton, AB @ Pawn Shop
11/8: Vancouver, BC @ Funky Winker Bean's
11/9: Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
11/10: Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
11/11: San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge
11/12: Los Angeles, CA @ The Vex Arts Center
11/13: Ramona, CA @ Ramona Mainstage
11/14: Tempe, AZ @ 910 Live (Outdoor Stage)
11/15: Albuquerque, NM @ Launchpad
11/16: Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater
11/17: Kansas City, MO @ The Riot Room
11/18: Oklahoma City, OK @ Conservatory
11/19: Ft Worth, TX @ Tomcats West
11/20: Austin, TX @ Dirty Dog Bar
11/21: New Orleans, LA @ The Hangar
11/22: Tampa, FL @ The Orpheum

Check out the albums "Slovo" and "Goi Rode Goi".  Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fuuDc2hH0

• 2 weeks later...

At Neko Case at the Orpheum Theater in Boston tonight. First night away from the kiddo, and so far, so good! Lucy Wainwright Roche opened and was great. Fantastic crowd banter to boot. They're finishing setup for Neko now... Can't wait!!!

Edited by en480c4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We saw Colin Meloy solo at the Fillmore last night.  Alden's first Fillmore show, probably around the age I was for my first Fillmore show.  We checked out the posters and Claire pointed out a bunch she attended, including the Stone Roses about 3 weeks before Sophie was born.  I didn't recall her being so super pregnant at a show until she said it.  That got some funny looks now that I remember it, especially when she started slamming tequila poppers.

Anyway, the show was good and he played mostly old Decemberists stuff of course, although also a couple of new songs and a mix of covers.  Someone called out Overkill and he laughed pretty hard and then did a short version that would have made Colin Hay proud.  Meloy records a few songs from another songwriter whenever he does these solo tours -- the first was Morrissey and this one was Ray Davies and the Kinks.  He only played one Kinks song, which left me wanting more.  His final encore song was introduced as a sea shanty sung in old San Francisco while the fisherman brought in their daily catch:

Trudging slowly over wet sand
Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen
This is the coastal town
That they forgot to close down
Armageddon - come armageddon!
Come, armageddon! come!

Everyday is like sunday
Everyday is silent and grey

Hide on the promenade
Etch a postcard :
"how I dearly wish I was not here"
In the seaside town
...that they forgot to bomb
Come, come, come - nuclear bomb

Fun show and Alden loved it because he knows every Decemberist song ever and particularly liked guessing songs based on the first notes he played on the guitar.

• Like 1

I need to get back into the whole live music thing.  Cowboy Junkies are playing a small theater here in town.  There is also the Experience Hendrix show in March looks pretty promising.

93-atlg.jpg

Edited by VPI