The Live Music Thread

Thaddy

Nope, I haven't been to Cat Power.

I think Melody has some sight issues, she's always wearing sunglasses, as a sequela from her accident. It's possible she just waited for it to be mostly dark. Here at 10:00pm it's pretty clear yet, and the show was supposed to start at 9:30.

She even spoke a few phrases of decent Spanish :)

My fifth year of Lollapalooza starts tomorrow. Tonight Allison and I are going to see a pre-show at Schuba's for Zella Day. Apparently people think she sounds like a happier, more energetic Lana Del Ray... not sure I agree, I think she just has catchy songs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yep, we were in the front pew. Really nice show, first half acoustic and second half electric with a lot of sampling and pedaling. The highlight was In My Life by The Beatles that grew out of a cacophonous distortion jam. It was so sparkling and huge and layered -- between electronics and the amazing sacred space -- and the harmonics were kind of mind-blowing. His encore was a great Western tubes and theme songs, including Happy Trails and the Bonanza theme. Fun stuff.

95078f16528931f548ac9bf7979267ab.jpg

e496034a4170f25f0f52497ffe8602e1.jpg

• Like 4

Got back from the Monterey Jazz Festival Monday night.

One of the best years IMHO. Everything from cocktail jazz with Monty Alexander Trio to an avant garde commissioned piece from trumpet player Ambrose Akinmusire.

The festival started with that commissioned piece and while it didn't make the traditional jazz fans happy, I was like a pig in shit.

A trio with Chick Corea, Brian Blades (drums) and Christian McBride (bass) totally killed. I think they're touring so don't miss em!

Friday night ended with a huge tribute to Jaco Pastorious. Way too many folks to name in this jazz orchestra setting but it was great to see players from Weather Report and all the other groups that he played with including Felix Pastorious (his son) who played a pretty mean electric bass himself.

Saturdays highlights included a great set by Trombone Shorty and this years Monterey Festival on Tour band (Gregory Clayton (piano), Ravi Coltrane (saxes), Nickolas Payton (trumpet), Joe Sanders (bass), Justin Brown (drums). I'd forgotten how much I love Payton's horn.

The night ended with an awesome set from The Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis (hmm, didn't think of it till now but it was kind of a trumpet lovers wet dream,.. I didn't have a chance to hear him but Terrance Blanchard and E Connection also played)

Sunday afternoon had a big Escovedo Family set.

Bela Fleck and Chick Corea amazed the crowd and Chris Botti payed the bills.

My favorite discovery was a kinda rockabillyish singer that has bits of Janis Joplin in her voice (nice to see her on the same stage that Janis made her name).

Here's a video of Nikki Hill at a tiny blues venue.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Went last night/this morning to see the lead singer of my favorite band, The Chameleons UK.  Mark Burgess, touring as ChameleonsVox, did a fantastic show of their entire first album, plus another 1+ album's worth of additional Chameleons material.

Many of us have "that band" that eclipses others, for me it's the Chameleons, even though I got into them late in their original incarnation in the 80's (I just missed their last US tour in 1987, didn't get to see them as a group until a 2001 reunion).

Met up with a couple I had met via a mailing list in the 90's and kept in touch with, along with a local musician acquaintance who will join the band for 3 nights because of the main guitarist's mom passing away in England.  And also reconnected with another list-member who I hadn't chatted with since the early-90's.

This was the last time Mark will tour apparently, it was a tremendous show with a ton of energy and joy.  Three separate encores beyond the main show.  I'm at work and pretty exhausted now, but still filled with the energy and light from an amazing show!

• Like 2

Went last night/this morning to see the lead singer of my favorite band, The Chameleons UK.  Mark Burgess, touring as ChameleonsVox, did a fantastic show of their entire first album, plus another 1+ album's worth of additional Chameleons material.

Many of us have "that band" that eclipses others, for me it's the Chameleons, even though I got into them late in their original incarnation in the 80's (I just missed their last US tour in 1987, didn't get to see them as a group until a 2001 reunion).

Met up with a couple I had met via a mailing list in the 90's and kept in touch with, along with a local musician acquaintance who will join the band for 3 nights because of the main guitarist's mom passing away in England.  And also reconnected with another list-member who I hadn't chatted with since the early-90's.

This was the last time Mark will tour apparently, it was a tremendous show with a ton of energy and joy.  Three separate encores beyond the main show.  I'm at work and pretty exhausted now, but still filled with the energy and light from an amazing show!

My friend Spacey/Spacetoner/??? (don't know what he goes by on the list) is probably on that list.

That is all.  Cheers.  

I didn't go out last night, probably should have.  My Facebook friend/musician I follow apparently "flashed the pigs [her] tatas".  :palm: 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers.

He's one of my favourites live.  I've probably seen him live as much as I've seen anyone else live, starting admittedly late in his career during the early 80s (Cielo e Terra tour, I think).  That said, I loved it every single time he played.  Highlight was front row about 10 years ago, where I was so close, I could have reached out and strummed his guitar for him (I didn't).

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Loreena McKennit in a "Trio Performance" last night.  Joined by Brian Hughes and Caroline Lavelle, she gave us two sets plus two encores.  Both fascinating and beautiful, we heard stories of her travels and the history of Celts, poetry read, and of course beautiful music.  Even a few jokes....

I have always enjoyed her full-band sound, her musicianship and arrangements are always fantastic.  But this was more personal & passionate, I think I enjoyed it even more.  All 3 played multiple instruments, and blended so well....

And Caroline Lavelle seems ageless; she is a very lovely woman with long blond locks perhaps to her waist, a great musical intensity, and a smile that would melt ice caps.  And she was playing a very cool black Cello among her instruments.

• Like 2

Sounds fantastic, Todd.

Last night was the SFJazz Collective playing the music of Michael Jackson and original compositions. They played arrangements of The Love You Save, Blame It On The Boogie, Thriller, and Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, some for the full octet and others like Thriller for quartet. Those were all fun and the original compositions were strong this year. Should make for a fun recording from the full tour.

Excited to hear they are finally doing Miles Davis next year, but sad that one of my favorites, trumpeter Avishai Cohen is no longer in the band because he would have been an interesting choice for that music. Sean Jones is excellent and I really enjoyed his playing last night so I'm sure it will work out just fine.

7e5041b06c93bc0f278b8fd5bbddf1f6.jpg

• 1 month later...