Canjam 2010.

Duggeh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any interest in some old vinyl for free? Mostly 70's-80's rock, some classical and jazz, some R+B. A few gems, most quite worthwhile but not gems, a few are neither but worth a chuckle.

I am finally accepting after all these years that I will not be getting a great vinyl set up. I think this is a group and event that I'd actually feel GOOD about giving away my vinyl.

I don't want to go through the effort of boxing and carrying a hundred LP's if no one wants them. But if there is enough interest, I'll be glad to do it. Plus it'll be a great way to meet people for this relative newb.

I don't want to buy a vendors table, so this is a free give away. But I am hoping people will consider a voluntary donation of $1 to $10 per disc to HC, depending on condition/market value.

Anyone? Anyone? ...

I've taken a whole week off prior to the meet planning on spending some quality time in the city (including the weekend prior to the Jam). Need to start doing my research, possibly on another part of town to stay in for the first bit, and then move to the Canjam hotel mid-week. Can the natives give any advice? Beer, food, and live music are of course my main objectives.

I've taken a whole week off prior to the meet planning on spending some quality time in the city (including the weekend prior to the Jam). Need to start doing my research, possibly on another part of town to stay in for the first bit, and then move to the Canjam hotel mid-week. Can the natives give any advice? Beer, food, and live music are of course my main objectives.
I'm not a native but if I were going my objectives would include:

Completely ignorant about beer places, I'm afraid.

Inteligentsia is probably the best, highest quality coffee and espresso that we have here by far, and definitely the best I have tasted. Coffee is brewed by the individual cup, and their espresso is absolutely perfect.

312 is a chicago brewed beer, I believe they have an official storefront.

The cool thing with chicago is the diversity and multiple options for stuff that is located on the north, west, south side of chicago as well as the outer suburbs.

This is my favorite place for beer and food.

THE BAVARIAN LODGE

Its out in Lisle which is a suburb southwest of Chicago. The beer collection would impress a lot of you hardcore types and the food is very authentic german. Consistently voted as one of the top 10 best german places in the nation.

EDIT: More random stuff, more on the tourist side

Michigan Ave is like our version of times square but a bit more down to earth and not as crazy

Walking down Lake Shore Drive on the trail or biking and stopping by various beaches is amazing in June.

SuperDawg's - northside, or Hot Doug's deeper in the city for more outrageous hot dog fare (like foie gras topped hot dog)

Gino's East for deep dish, downtown

Our Broadway in Chicago scene is very good and I think at minimum you'll find the talent to be of similar quality, though I personally find the production on Broadway NY to be a bit better.

Edited by recstar24

As an addition to Ryan's suggestions:

Hotdogs and/or sausage:

Fredhots and Fries

Beer at a Bar:

The Map Room

Beer and BBQ at a Bar:

Sheffield's Wine and Beer

Beer (and liquor) to go

Binny's

and a little outside of Chicago:

Three Floyds Brewpub

Not been here yet but I have it on reliable information that it rocks. Their bottled beer certainly does.

Inteligentsia is probably the best, highest quality coffee and espresso that we have here by far, and definitely the best I have tasted. Coffee is brewed by the individual cup, and their espresso is absolutely perfect.
Intelligentsia really is destination espresso. For many of the people who care about espresso the way we care about sonics, it's the reference espresso.

I haven't been in person to Metropolis Coffee (which I suggested above) but I've bought their beans and they're very, very good. If you're a home barista, definitely get some - it's way easier to pull a good shot of Metropolis Red Line at home than of Intelligentsia Black Cat, and FWIW Red Line's flavor profile makes it the espresso to use in desserts or to pour over ice cream. In the (unlikely, I know) event that anybody wants a decaf espresso, Metropolis is the only roaster I've encountered whose decaf tastes just like their hi-test.

Metropolis is also next door to what my friend tells me is her second-favorite sex shop, but that has no bearing on my interest.

^^^ I am no coffee expert for sure but I was always the starbucks kind of guy and when I had my first americano at Intelligentsia it was pretty amazing, yet also informative on how disgusting the espresso from starbucks truly is. Anytime my wife and I are downtown or in the area we always make a stop by Intelligentsia. I should check out Metropolis as well.

I'm not a native but if I were going my objectives would include:

Completely ignorant about beer places, I'm afraid.

Topolobampo is great high end Mexican, great food but $$$. Frontera Grill also has very good food, less high end, but very good, great margaritas, more casual, but expect a long wait. If you are 'on holiday', then go early before 530p to avoid the wait. Frontera Fresco is Rick Bayless' newest, but it's mostly for lunch - haven't been there, but my wife has, and she liked it a lot.

There are so many restaurants at every price level, I'd really need more of an idea what people are looking for! You could go to Alinea for $200 per person and get full blown science-theater presentation food, Charlie Trotter's for the guy who started Chicagos high end fussion/ecclectic dining scene, but also very pricey, there are many great Chicago stuffed and pan pizza - Uno/Due, Gino's are the best known.

Again, too much to do and see - can interested out of towners narrow it down a bit?

You could go to Alinea for $200 per person and get full blown science-theater presentation food
Oh, right! I forgot to put moto on my list, someplace I've been wanting to try for a couple years now. If you're a guy like me who likes to hang out at TechShop, you just have to go to a restaurant that cooks with lasers and liquid nitrogen.

Yup, been to Moto. Fun, high tech food. I think the chef there was on Iron Chef and won. We had something flash frozen in liquid nitrogen, fish cooked in a self contained portable oven at the table, forks shaped like corkscrews so it could wind around herbs, so you can sniff the herbs as you brought the ffod to your mouth. The finale was a covered dish which upon opening was a cell phone ringing, and when we answered, it was the chef inviting us back to tour the kitchen. All very gimmicky, but it was all fun, plus the food was actually really good!

Going to be in Chicago starting Tuesday 6/1 through Monday 6/7 but I have different objectives than Matt - just food and sightseeing for me. Well ok, live music could be cool too. I'll be staying close to the downtown loop area for the first 3 days and will not have a car - any recommendations on quick & cheap places around there? I'm still carrying the low-budget eating habits from my college student days so <$10 (though I guess it might be more realistic to stretch to $20 if needed) and fast are all I'm looking for. Hand-held food is even better so I can eat while walking around. For example, every time I go to NYC I always seek out the pizza and Greek. ;) Dinner places too but I don't like paying more than $20/person for dinner. And I eat all types of cuisine btw, in fact I usually like to try something new.

Going to be in Chicago starting Tuesday 6/1 through Monday 6/7 but I have different objectives than Matt - just food and sightseeing for me. Well ok, live music could be cool too. I'll be staying close to the downtown loop area for the first 3 days and will not have a car - any recommendations on quick & cheap places around there? I'm still carrying the low-budget eating habits from my college student days so <$10 (though I guess it might be more realistic to stretch to $20 if needed) and fast are all I'm looking for. Hand-held food is even better so I can eat while walking around. For example, every time I go to NYC I always seek out the pizza and Greek. ;) Dinner places too but I don't like paying more than $20/person for dinner. And I eat all types of cuisine btw, in fact I usually like to try something new.

Hey asr! Will be good to see you again!

First off, the public transportation system is excellent. You can take the bus or train (called the ‘el’ as in ‘el-evated’ train) anywhere around the city. Buy a daily card for a few dollars, and the city is yours.

Fares:

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/default.aspx

Maps:

1-888-YOURCTA | System Map - Downtown

Google maps has CTA on its maps by clicking on ‘More – Transit’

Quick and dirty food, huh?

Portable:

Al’s beef is well known and popular, just west of the loop. Haven’t been, but the beef experts I know say it’s one of the best for Italian Beef sandwiches.

Al's Beef - Chicago's #1 Italian Beef Franchise

Wowbao is a take out bao (steamed buns) place. There is one right at the entrance of Water Tower Place, which you will need to visit, anyway. Water Tower is a giant indoor mall on the north end of the Gold Coast. Take the bus up Michigan Avenue to Water Tower. Pick up some baos, walk around the mall, then take a walk south on Michigan Avenue to see some world class shopping and people watching.

Wow Bao - home

See ‘Greek’ below.

Oh, and while you’re walking down Michigan Ave., be sure to stop and pick up a bag of popcorn at http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/ Looks like there’s also one in the loop, but better to stop in while you’re taking your walk.

Sit down:

Bigbowl is an inexpensive but nice sit down place for Pan-Asian noodles

BigBowl

Sixtyfive is a decent dive of a Chinese place. Nothing special, but not bad for its price and location.

http://www.65restaurant.com/sixtyfive/default.asp

You mentioned Greek – you are not too far from Greek Town when you’re in the loop. It’s probably worth a brief side trip, or maybe a quick lunch or dinner. These are my two favorites:

Welcome to the G R E E K I S L A N D S

http://www.roditys.com/

There are also plenty of little gyro take out places if you’d prefer.

Pizza: Sorry, but pizza is a bit of a religion around here. You will have to sit down and sample at least one of these joints. And go before 530pm to avoid an hour wait.

Uno’s and Due are sister restaurants. Great pan/deep dish. Pretty well known.

Uno Chicago Grill - Original Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, Flatbreads, Pasta, Steaks, Seafood, Burgers, Sandwiches, Salads, Soups

Gino’s East – another well known and legendary pan/deep dish place. Maybe it’s just personal taste, but I tend to go to the other places these days, they don’t seem as good as they used to be. But I have friends who still love it.

http://www.ginoseast.com/ Can’t get this link to work – call them if this doesn’t work:

633 North Wells Street, Chicago, IL 60654-3792(312) 943-1124‎

Edwardo’s. Very nice stuffed pizza, which is a two inch thick monster filled with a brick of mozzarella and ingredients. Yum.

www.edwardos.com Can’t get this link to work right now. I hope it’s still open.

521 South Dearborn Street, Chicago - (312) 939-3366

Less well known, but has to be mentioned as one of the major Chicago pizza joints. Good pan pizza, crust is corn meal based, which I don’t care for, but some do.

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria - Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza

There’s tons of little pizza places for a quick slice, if you must. But don’t tell me you did this, you’ll hurt my feelings! It’d be like you bringing your Blue Hawaii and Omegas and I said, ‘meh, I’ll just have a listen to these Bose Quiet Comforts over here, it’s easier …

;-)

Be sure to visit Navy Pier for a walk, maybe take in an Imax film, take a ride on the Seadog boat tour – an architectural boat tour on the Chicago River through the city and ending with a full speed sprint up and down the coast. Chinatown isn’t too far, but definitely out of your way. Lots of museums – the Aquarium has a pretty cool new dolphin show, Museum of Science and Industry. Millenium Park is a great walk in the spring/summer.

Welcome to Explore Chicago | The City of Chicago's Official Tourism Site

The Grant Park Orchestra has free outdoor classical concerts and they’re not bad at all. Pack a picnic and sit outside for some free music. Classical Concerts in Millennium Park | The Grant Park Music Festival

Of course, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is world class, but pricey, and in a bit of a transition. Barenboim was a hot head and didn’t do much during his tenure, IMHO, and Muti hasn’t really put his stamp on them yet. But it’s still the CSO, and they’re still very good. Chicago Symphony Orchestra

I’m sure I’ve missed some ideas, there’s just so much. Have a great visit, and hope to see you at CJ!

Edited by jvlgato
typo

For all those staying at the Hyatt, may help get you some nice free service:

HYATT GOLD PASSPORT: Free Platinum Status & Faster Upgrade To Diamond - SlickDeals.net Forums

Costco also seems to sell a $100 Hyatt giftcard for $80 that you can use for your hotel purchases. Using a discover card may also net you a $100 discount on a two night stay. :)

Wow thanks for all that info John. Suddenly 3 days doesn't seem like enough time to check everything out. If only there wasn't that dastardly Memorial Day weekend preceding the week of CanJam to interfere with anticipated holiday plans, otherwise I probably would've flown out even earlier.

Will definitely take you up on that offer Ryan, thanks. :)