The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'd post pics but I don't have access to a camera right now. The sound seems to be getting better, as the drivers run in after not being played for who knows how long. What also helps the sound is stretching out the headband so it doesn't clamp my head into a pancake. It helps that I no longer get a headache within a few minutes of wearing them, but they still need more stretching. I just hope I'm not screwing anything up by playing them while they're possibly wired incorrectly.

If you don't mind, how did they sound? Stax speakers intrigue me.

Sounded very detailed and clean, but extremely polite and with limited dynamics and bass was missing as well. The amp was not able to properly push them I suspect. I was also worried about longevity as they had a repair job on one of the transformers.

What's the going price of the Normal-bias SR-Lambda (by itself) these days? I did some Google (and HF) searching but didn't turn up anything other than a general ballpark of somewhere <$200.

They seem to be going for up to $300 with transformer these days, according to what Sherwood, Blutarsky and ericj have paid recently. I bought mine with SRD-X from plaidplatypus for $230 11/07, and my son's from Fitz by itself last summer for $240. Oublie was asking about $300 for his when I bought his SRD-7 Mk2 SB a week ago.

In some Stax news, I just got one of the few reviews I know of the SR-Omega/SRM-T2 combo but sadly it is in German. Needless to say it is in "Absolute Spitzenklasse 1" :)

Why don't they have SR-5 pads? Then where the hell is Audiocubes getting them from?

Stax. Here is the service list on the Japanese version of the Stax site and the SR-5 pads are still listed as being in stock.

I just sold my normal-bias SR-Lambda and have been listening to my SR-X MKIII for the past couple hours. Haven't listened to it for a while, I forgot how good it sounds - definitely in my top 3 favorite headphones so far (of any type) for sound quality after the Qualia 010 and AD2000! (Beating out former favorites like the K701 and W5000.) Such a great all-rounder, maybe even a better all-rounder than either the Qualia or the AD2000, as I have lots of CDs I don't listen to with the AD2000 and lots I don't listen to with the Qualia either, but the SR-X MKIII is enjoyable with every CD I'm putting it through. Haven't had any comfort issues either yet, haven't needed to take them off since I put them on.

Of the stats I've heard, I prefer the SR-X MKIII the most, beating out even the OII MKI (there's just something about the MKI that's a sonic mis-match for me). Of course I'll have to find out how far the BHSE will take the MKI... ;)

And I'll admit to being a big K701 fan before but I find my opinion of it definitively changing now - I'm starting to think it's more of an average, nothing-special headphone. In some ways I can't even tolerate it anymore, at times I feel there's a veil over the music when listening with it. :(

You would love the SR-X Mk3 Pro then. It takes all the good aspects of the normal bias model and better them plus adds some much needed bass presence, not a whole lot though but it goes deep, very deep, and they have a bit of a soundstage as well. You should also try the 4070 since it is a more modern version of the SR-X but they sound similar.

Just FYI gang, Yama's Inc. finally got back to me with some answers to a few questions. Here are some prices for those interested:

SR-404 Headband - $135

Mineral Wool - $15/pr

Acoustic Foam - $9/pr

They do not sell arc assembly separately, according to Yama, but it is listed as a part in stock at the site that Spritzer helpfully linked to. So I will ask them more about that. Instead of giving me a price for the arc, they asked for the serial number. Why?

Do tell young squire!! Better bass control I would guess plus some other improvements?

Just spent a few hours trouble shooting my old Kenwood. It had been acting out for the last few years which I just chalked up to dirty contacts but it turned out to be a broken speaker selector switch. :( Easy to fix by simply bypassing it but now I have to find a new amp to test Stax adapter boxes...

Rather disfortuitously I only have the webcam in my laptop at this time so this is the best I could do even after cleaning up a bit.

Phonodome%20AMT%20Mk.1.jpg

Phonodome%20AMT%20Mk.1%20b.jpg

Absolutely the biggest most obvious difference in the low end. It now actually has a rounded sound, its no longer that thinly academic, coughing mouse bass, its not turned into a monster or anything, it's never going to I suspect, be capable of that. More importantly, its suddenly a lot more fun and much more enjoyable with my trashy pop music like Eiffel 65! :D It's also comfier, weight spread over the head and the ears > just the head.

There's the loss of that "air" that you have with further from the ear drivers (K1000 effect I'm sure we all know of) but frankly, for my ears, the choice is piss easy, I may not be a classical music buff like Mr Durrenmatt, but I can't believe that he didn't try this sort of design. Then again it's possible that he really didn't and just went with a continuation of the Jecklin Float chassis and the principles behind it because he likes that.

Me, I like it this way. These drivers will not be going back in the original housing. Trouble is of course that I cannot leave them as they are. Sellotape and a cut up HD201 do not the best chassis make.

Edited by Duggeh

Its the drivers out of the Precide AMT, lambda pads and an HD201 headband. I wouldn't even think about taking the K1000 apart, I've heard horror stories of trying to get it back together and from a look at an exploded diagram of the headband assembly I can see where they come from.

Can't beat the ghetto look. :) Are the drivers about the same size as a Lambda housing or bigger? If you could use Lambda arc and a custom housing with a new baffle then it would be a very comfy headphone. 8)

As for the design... I really don't think they tried anything else. Just see Mr. Purtscheller who worked on the Floats and just continued that work.

It can be very hard to break the mold...

Replaced the pics on the server after I borrowed my flatmates camera.

The drivers are shorter than the inside of the lambda housing by more than a centimeter and about 1mm wider, thats me remembering from when I had the SR-202, I didn't actually note the measurements.

It would work in a lambda housing if I dremeled down the sides I suspect, trouble is getting ahold of a lambda housing of course.

The wires feed into the top of the drivers because that's how they're oriented in the Ergo housing.