The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Electrostatics that haven't been used for many years take longer to charge up, though. My SR-5NB took about 15 seconds when I first got it, now it takes about one.

I still don't know what the hell is going on with my ESP10, though. spritzer, if the channels are reversed when I fool around with balance control does that mean I wired it wrong? Could it just be that the foam inside disintegrated and is shorting things?

Well, I mentioned previously to Spritzer after I got them that the APS modded ESP950 he sold me take 2-3 minutes to fully charge, and for the first 4-5 seconds the are silent. Both drivers charge equally slow, and after several minutes they are both loud and strong and normal volume. No imbalance, but none of my other stats take minutes to charge, and they've been like this for as long as I've had them.

I'm afraid to send them to Koss because I worry they will undo the APS cable and dampening mods.

I wanted it for my SR-Lambda, so it was for the SR-202 arc assembly. They said the SR-303/404 arc assemblies are more expensive. Here is their first email response to me:

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your inquiry and your support of STAX audio products.

The original SR-Lambda arc headband assembly has been discontinued and substitute are available and they are $100 for the assembly.

Please contact us at 310-324-7406 to provide payment information or please fill out the attached credit card form and fax back to 310-324-7422.

Should you have any questions, please contact us again.

Best Regards,

YEI / ACCUTECH

Yama's Enterprises, Inc. Importers of Fine Audio products

Here is their second:

Hi Justin,

The substitute replace part would be from SR-202, the only black color headband available. Other colors (olive green & brown) are available and slightly higher in price.

The newer assembly

I still don't know what the hell is going on with my ESP10, though. spritzer, if the channels are reversed when I fool around with balance control does that mean I wired it wrong? Could it just be that the foam inside disintegrated and is shorting things?

Can you show me how you wired it? It's been well over a year but I'm certain that the stock Koss cable can't be rewired for Stax duty without cutting off the plug.

I would remove the foam and replace it with anything you have handy. The major damping is done by the felt pads at the back of the driver. You could also swap the foam for wool and line the crappy enclosure with bitumen. :)

Justin posted an update on his Web site today - 3 weeks until the first BHSEs ship! And he posted more pics here: HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (Blue Hawaii SE Electrostatic Headphone Amp)

Brilliant news to say the least!!!

I finally figured out what I wired incorrectly. I swapped the bottom two wires, bias and R- or something.:palm:

I'm definitely with you on the crappy enclosure.:o Everything sounds like I'm in a cave. It's even worse than a stock K340 with cotton removed. I took out the disintegrating crappy foam because every time I opened the cups up more of it broke off. I'm going to upgrade the caps later on top of redamping or whatever it is I need to do.