The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I have 3 pages of notes of an O2/Smegma Pro comparison, which I was meaning to post in a full review. Then, real life got in the way and it had to be put on hold for stuff that had a higher priority. I really should dig out the notes and arrange them into something presentable, though it's been some time since I heard the cans.

Suffice to say that I thought that they were lovely cans with a good tonality and a very punchy but accurate bass. They were pretty forward and very engaging, solid rock headphones but also accurate enough for classical and jazz. Not O2-beaters but then again nothing is, and they were surprisingly similar in tonality though a lot rougher around the edges. Those old Stax drivers are good.

This was with the 840c and 717, not the best signal path but certainly good enough to give a very clear idea as to a headphone's performance.

Cool, I've never heard the O2 so I have no real reference to work from other than the rest of the lower end Staxes like the SR-X, Gamma Pro, 001 and varied Lambdas. However, they do cream all those as far as I'm concerned. I do love the punchy and deep bass of the Smegmas.

Cheers guys!

Sorry, no internal pics this time around. I was in too much of a hurry to get them finished in time for a meet where I guess I'll get to hear what the general consensus is on my wee creation. That was set number three of the Smegmas.

I jst hope after all the waiting he likes them.

Cool, I've never heard the O2 so I have no real reference to work from other than the rest of the lower end Staxes like the SR-X, Gamma Pro, 001 and varied Lambdas. However, they do cream all those as far as I'm concerned. I do love the punchy and deep bass of the Smegmas.

What Duggeh said. You will love the O2 (Mk1). It has a similar tonality to the S-P, but instead of just a punchy bass there is real weight and heft behind every note, be it bass, mids, or treble. It's more detailed, more refined, and much more three-dimensional. However, it's also somewhat more laid-back, and I do think the S-P is a more engaging rock headphone. However the O2's accuracy is in another universe altogether from just about anything out there, and given how the S-P is voiced, I think you'll really like it.

You will need at least a 717 to tighten up the bass though, a Stax transformer box isn't quite enough. It certainly can sound good with a transformer, all depending on the amp behind it, but you will have slightly loose bass and slightly recessed highs. The rest of the voicing is up to the speaker amp.

Bah I'm being evil again...

The S-P does whip up on most things not called O2, and given how 'stats are touted as being tonally pure, I'm really surprised at how tonally off most modern Stax stuff is in one way or another. The S-P is just more tonally accurate plain and simple even though its primary characteristic is a punchy and fun sound.

Heh, well Larry does have a proper 'stat amp to run them so hopefully they'll sound good. I only have the transformer box as there is no way I can ever afford the O2 or amp to go with them so I have to make what I have as good as I can make them. I think they're a real step up in every way from the SR-X and Gamma Pro, and given your impressions against the O2 I'm very happy to hear they do as well as that. :D

I'll be interested in all opinions good or bad on them Sherwood. They should be with Larry sometime tomorrow afternoon. I don't expect too much as they are just Gamma Pros with some wood and O2 pads. Especially considering what they're up against over there... talk about 'big guns' of the headphone world :o

I don't expect too much as they are just Gamma Pros with some wood and O2 pads. Especially considering what they're up against over there... talk about 'big guns' of the headphone world :o

As I said before, that is one of the best combinations that I can think up for a headphone, and I wouldn't be surprised if it took down most of the 'big guns' fairly easily, especially with good amplification.

You're not doing anything in the next 6 months, are you? Good.

You won't want them anyway, they suck ass and you'd be better off just buying some KSC-75s, they sound the same as Stax and you don't need to mess about with those stupid Stax amps an all that old balls..

Yeah, the Fostex pads are pretty good. They just don't fit what I have. And are quite hard to obtain, apparently.

I just bought myself a present to keep my mind off tomorrow and the fact that I honestly don't give a shit about not being in a relationship or even wanting to be in one most of the year. It's the ultimate wooer of the femmebots, with the largest production headphone driver in existence I know of run at a pretty cool 1200V.

Interesting fact about me: I have been single this time of year for all years of my life to date. Based on my recent purchase, it's probably going to stay that way.