The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I'd say those were mint and the pads look to be in perfect condition too. The cable is indeed the only known place where they do fail and it is something which Stax took care of with the Mk2. Using them with an extension cable will increase it's life by giving it ample slack.

I always hang mine for the headband on a Stax stand and after 7 years (fuck that's a long time :palm:) the elastic band is just like new.

If something eventually happens to the cable on a mk1, can it be replaced with the improved mk2 cable and strain relief?

Finally got the universal plug adapter today so I could listen to my ET1000, only to find there's a fucking channel imbalance.:chair: There's a number of issues it could be, like it not being charged up or possibly the little bit of fabric damping in the front (the side with less volume has it while the other side is partially removed). Could be the adapter too. Sigh, I wish I didn't have to troubleshoot almost every single pair of headphones I've gotten.

Sounds like an SR-X mk3 on uber steroids, though.

This seems to be a somewhat well-regarded combo based on a search of this thread. Can anyone concur/comment? I was basically ready to pay the ~$2K for the rig that Stretch got if he hadn't gone for it.....

If not this, what phones might go well with a SRM-T1W amp, which I also may be able to get with help from Nate?

Finally got the universal plug adapter today so I could listen to my ET1000, only to find there's a fucking channel imbalance.:chair: There's a number of issues it could be, like it not being charged up or possibly the little bit of fabric damping in the front (the side with less volume has it while the other side is partially removed). Could be the adapter too. Sigh, I wish I didn't have to troubleshoot almost every single pair of headphones I've gotten.

Sounds like an SR-X mk3 on uber steroids, though.

Fark, that sucks. With the issues I had with the pair I owned, I have to admit to being a bit leery of picking up a pair again if the opportunity presents, though they definitely have a certain appeal to them. SR-X on steroids though, that does sound promising. Be curious to hear them, and the SR-X Pros if you ever get those built.

It has improved a lot over the last two or so hours, and is now barely perceptible (I'd guess ~1dB?). I'm gonna run them in for a bit longer but I'm thinking it is the fabric damping issue and I will cut a hole in the other side to match to see if that's the problem.

I'm going to use the cliched bumblebee analogy in describing its speed... it doesn't know it can't go that fast, which is how it does. Really really fast. Listening to 15 Steps (Radiohead) and The Creator Has a Mastertape (Porcupine Tree) is an experience. It is slightly bright so you may not like it too much. And yes, once I find my stash of WPI jacks and plugs I will make the SR-X Pro and let you know. I'll look again today, but some places in my house are quite a bit of a mess.

Some headphones which I've sold have worked just fine here but had channel imbalance when they arrived. Conditions they see in shipping sure plays a part here. Just run them in some more and the bias supply should overcome the parasitic charge.

Yeah a bit brighter. I was afraid the stock wires in the SR-X cable couldn't handle pro bias, do you think they can?

I've used them at Pro bias on quite a few sets with no issues. Stax also used the same cable (same internal wires too) on the SR-X Pro so it should be just fine.

The way I did it was to cut the strain relief free from the plug and pull it higher up on the cable. Cut a small opening in the cable sheath and find the middle bias wire and combine it with the 5 pin bias wire. Slide the strain relief back into place, secure with glue and drill out the center pin. Very fiddly job though...

Edited by spritzer

I ripped off the pads from my Philips electret headphones since the drivers are fubar anyway and put them on the ET1000. Circumaural goodness. Next step is to remove some of the stock damping. Birgir, when you had one, did you experiment with playing around with damping? It's definitely overdamped for me, too fast and too bright.

In other news, it seems I have made AmanGeorge a full-on Stax convert! He's the one who bought the SR-Lambda + SRM-1 Mk2 from me, and he prefers it to the HD800. So suck it, dynamics! A 30 year old headphone beat the best of the current production headphones. Long live planars! :D

Is there content below 1khz?

:rofl: Ouch, that hurts, man. I just ripped out the stock damping. Much nicer now imo. I may put back just a thin layer of craft felt or something since I'm pretty sure there's a reason they put that thick layer of cotton there in the first place.

Hm, did you?:D It's why I sold my SR-Lambda, a Lambda for a Lambda since I wasn't supposed to buy anything and felt super guilty.:palm: It has a couple of issues that need addressing though... originally I was just going to use it for parts. I might still, actually.

In other news, it seems I have made AmanGeorge a full-on Stax convert! He's the one who bought the SR-Lambda + SRM-1 Mk2 from me, and he prefers it to the HD800. So suck it, dynamics! A 30 year old headphone beat the best of the current production headphones. Long live planars! :D

Heh, it's true - many thanks, Justin, for the conversion. The Sennheiser is on the selling block now. I'm going to miss the phenomenal soundstage, which I don't get with the Lambdas, but I'm spending so much more time with the Lambdas these days that I can't justify hanging onto the Senns. I think I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one of the last few 404LEs with some of the HD800 money.

Glad to convert you.:) Now starts your long and expensive journey into the world of 'stats. If you want to try a 'stat with soundstage I should mod my Jecklin Float 'stats in the next couple of weeks for you to hear. But the Lambda soundstage isn't by any means small. The 404LE should sound really good and I'd be very interested in your comparing the two.