The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

If Lambdas existed with O2 levels of detail, I'd have stayed with exactly this rig. It's a good demo for anyone with the mistaken impression that Stax don't have bass, specially if you put Herbies dampers on the tubes. My HD-800s are on the chopping block too for this reason, even if they are the technically better headphones, they aren't as much damn fun, and anyway, once my eXStatA is built, they likely don't stand a chance.

Could you clarify on what you meant by 'technically better'? And almost every Stax is a good demo for anyone with the mistaken impression that Stax don't have bass. The same can be said about Stax headphones being extremely expensive.

Since we are on the subject of the earpad position, do you guys position your ears inside the cups farther back toward the thicker part, or more forward toward the thinner part? Although there is much smaller space inside the O2 than SR-Omega, there is still enough room inside to move your ears around.

I usually have the seam pointing forward and slightly angled upwards towards the temples. That's how the SR-Omega is but how I've used my set from day one.

I wear it with the seam somewhere between straight forward and angled slightly up, whatever ends up being the most comfortable.

Same. Well, when I had them.

Seam slightly angled up.

Yes

Since we are on the subject of the earpad position, do you guys position your ears inside the cups farther back toward the thicker part, or more forward toward the thinner part? Although there is much smaller space inside the O2 than SR-Omega, there is still enough room inside to move your ears around.

I generally wear them slightly more forward so my ears are more towards the rear of the pads.

I have little room to move the O2 around my ears, but I tend to place the drivers to the most in front I can. BTW, pads seam in front and upwards for me, more or less matching the arch of bone (zygomatic arch) going from the temporal bone to the zygoma (cheekbone). What I've found helps for a more frontal presentation is opening a bit the rear arch of the headband and closing the front one, so the drivers slightly rotate inwards to match the pinnae orientation.

Yep, that was my initial thought when I first saw them, but seal, which is crucial to have bass response right, comes from fine tunning the pads position to adjust to your own head-ears shape. So you may end up with the fatter part a bit downwards. The seam is in the thinner part, so it would be placed to the front.

Yep, that was my initial thought when I first saw them, but seal, which is crucial to have bass response right, comes from fine tunning the pads position to adjust to your own head-ears shape. So you may end up with the fatter part a bit downwards. The seam is in the thinner part, so it would be placed to the front.

This. Also, I've found that it takes turning the pads and the outer rings so that the cables are oriented correctly.

I admit to having a bit of 4070 lust...

Modded the ET1000 some more. Replaced the thick stock cotton damping with some thin craft felt, and used the same stuff as a layer right up against the outer screen. Which btw is really heavy, seems kind of like metal. Weird. I also fully ripped off the really thin fabric over the drivers. Some of the insane speed is back but it's not bright anymore. I remember someone mentioning something about treble impact. This has it.

It also now has boatloads of bass.

With the 4070's I don't have any of these problems. :)

True but that is one heavy headphone...

This. Also bent the arcs slightly to angle the earcups to better fit my head.

Same here. I only needed a mild adjustment but I've seen pictures of some truly drastic arc bending. I believe Darthnut had his arc's in a roughly 90