The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I guess they used to have the 222 (and 222P) derived from the 212 and now this one derived from the 252A, so they just fell in line with the current range but I don't know(the translation is a bit blurry as usual but it might say that), the upcoming better PSU probably helps a fair bit but it will cost as well (and may only work at 100V?). Question is, whether all this cyro stuff works on amps as well since it is said to work on the SR-404.

From my understanding the 4070 is really good as it is and uses the same 404 drivers so it doesn't make much sense either way around. The only mod that I can remember is Carl fitting in Airbow SC1 drivers to the 4070 and the bass gained serious thump but some time later it was broken :confused:

I'm not buying the cryo crap but the SR-SC1 sounds a lot like the SR-404LE from memory. The drivers assembled a bit differently perhaps?

You know, that's exactly what I was about to say but ended up not posting it for some reason. I don't buy into the cryo cap, either, and was thinking maybe it's just the way the drivers are assembled especially since you experimented with rebuilding one awhile back. If I ever feel the need to get tweaky as hell I'm going to buy an SR-303 and mod the shit out of it. Won't happen in 2010, though.;)

Hello everyone,

I bough a SR-34 stax headset and energizer. Is it possible to use a dynalo without heatsink on output transistors and 18 W transfo to drive the energizer or is it a really bad idea ? Sheer audio said the HA-006 + can be used as power amp...

Thanks for any answer.

Is it possible to use a dynalo without heatsink on output transistors and 18 W transfo to drive the energizer or is it a really bad idea ?

I would guess that is a bad idea, assuming the SR-34 box has a low input impedance - but I can't find this info in a quick Google.

I used an M3 for a short while to drive a Stax box, and it works well enough, but pushes a LOT of current into the low impedance. The big heatsinks on the M3 get rather warm.

Not a bad idea but no, it's a new amp/preamp design to celebrate the SRA-6S, the first high end Stax amp. I'm working on a prototype with tubes you've never seen before and are very cheap in a circuit similar to a mini WES or a balanced HEV90. Nothing is set in stone yet but the plan is to have the PCB's available and if I can get somebody locally to make me a chassis, build a few amps including one that I'd send as a gift to Stax.

The main problem I have is the tubes are very hard to work with (i.e. I need to compile some of the data myself) and I really need a clone to get all these projects done. :(