The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I keep toying with wanting the 404LE and agree that it would be the perfect companion to the O2 in my rig. My first impressions of it in my rig at the last Florida meet made me want to check it out more, and I don't get hit with that feeling often anymore. The problem is I've now embraced the Team Minimal path completely, and can't see spending $1000 plus on something I just want to try out when I have I already have what pleases me.

:rofl: Looks like the O2 is still a touchy subject.

I think there is something fundamentally aggressive about the ET1000 sound that is very atypical of 'stats. It may smooth out a bit with thicker circumaural pads but I don't have any on hand that are the right size. I will reserve these for hard rock/metal until I think up another mod. It also does simpler things very well, and barely passed my Lovefool test. Perhaps upping the bias to normal bias will have the change I am looking for.

The 4070 and 404LE > O2. I don't hate or dislike the O2, I just don't think they are as good as the 10 of you that like it.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

Btw. Did you ever try the SR-Omega, Mike? Basically a more forward version of the O2 and you might like that very much. A modded SR-007Mk2 might also be more to your liking since the treble is more lively on that one.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

Btw. Did you ever try the SR-Omega, Mike? Basically a more forward version of the O2 and you might like that very much. A modded SR-007Mk2 might also be more to your liking since the treble is more lively on that one.

My fear with the SR-Omega is if a driver goes. I don't think I've tried the mk2, hopefully at the NYC meet.

The 4070 and 404LE > O2. I don't hate or dislike the O2, I just don't think they are as good as the 10 of you that like it.

My fear with the SR-Omega is if a driver goes. I don't think I've tried the mk2, hopefully at the NYC meet.

Right on Mike! 4070 power! Anyway, the SR-Omega is a really great option to consider and a good pair should stay good unless mistreated, or so I told myself when buying them. I am going to set the 007t/SR-Omega & 4070 up today as a change of pace/counterpoint to the Luxmen.

Hehe, same here. :D Not much too it though, rip off the pads and plug the port with some blutac. Take the springs and widen them a bit by hand, adjust the angle of the mounting pin with some pliers. Then attach a bit of wire with heat shrink to the end of the spring to make sure it doesn't get tangled on the inside of the pads and tear them, remount everything and enjoy. :)

.... I think the 404LE would make a great companion to the O2.

My thought exactly.

..., and can't see spending $1000 plus on something I just want to try out when I have I already have what pleases me.

They are well under that used :mad:

I'm thinking that the 404LE may also convince me to sell the HE-60.

Gah, people posting 4070 > O2 in the Stax thread!? :o

The 4070 is for people who like listening to a "feed" instead of music. Stax should've printed "For Android Use Only" on the side of the 4070 instead of "Monitor." Well, I know that's what they really meant.

I don't know what I was thinking for liking something that you don't like. :rolleyes:

It's nice to see the 404LE getting moar love lately. Ze Monkey and boomy need to buy one too! :)

Gotdammit. Where does the Beyer T1 fit into all of this? One of you will need to buy that soon.

T1 on pre-order. Wait for a T1 Loaner Program Head-Case Edition to commence. ;) You're already on my shortlist. I'm thinking Voltron - tyrion - Monkey? (Not necessarily in order btw.)