The Headcase Stax thread

On 4/4/2021 at 10:44 PM, kevin gilmore said:

define similar. shure is 4 x discrete opamps made with 400v complementary bipolar parts. stax d10 is 2 x apex pa443 dual monolithic opamps made with 350v n-channel mosfets. stax d10 uses xmos 208 and ess dac. i don't remember what the shure uses. birgir has pictures of both should he desire to post them.

there is a guy in ukraine (i think) that is selling a shure clone for about $800 (no dac)

What is the part number of the 4 discrete opamps used in the kse1200, also about the 400V BJT pair?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't everybody glad that I'm crazy enough to buy this stuff and have Kevin rip it apart?   

I have compared the 009 and 009S running from the same amp (T8000) today. The room was somewhat quiet, but I had only two source options: my iPhone (connected through Apple's lightning adapter direc

Ok...I had an interesting morning.  It isn't every day that one takes apart HE90 drivers.    Sorry no picks as I was too freaked out while handling something so delicate and well...fucking unobtainium

Posted Images

I finally created yokes for my Stax L700 Mk1's that I'm happy with for sound and comfort.  I get a great seal and I can move my head freely without the plastic creaking.  It took me several attempts to reduce the clamp - and at first I thought I'd gone too far, but for the last month they've been awesome.  They're almost as comfortable as my Koss Esp95X - though they sound better.

I'd be happy to share the STL I used to get them printed, but I take no responsibility for you damaging your headphones.  I think the only risk is that the existing stax bolts are torqued on very tight, using an o-ring for retention.  If you're not careful, the screwdriver can slip and cause damage.  For that reason I went with countersunk bolts and replaced the o-ring with a nylon washer.

The end result spaces the pads out 2CM if hung from a headphone stand.  I'm actually now using the wooden Stax stand I have, without fear of wearing out the pads due to the clamp.  I had my yokes printed out of vapor polished nylon from Jawstec in the US.

StaxYokesSmall.jpg

• Like 1
On 5/15/2021 at 1:11 PM, Pirx said:

Could you share more pics and a little bigger (that last is terrible small) ?

Unfortunately - this site limited me to a picture of 17kB for the above.  I did take a couple side view pictures showing how the yokes rotate past the Stax stop on the cups.  But now my limit is 4.23 kB?  I apologize for the potentially stupid question - but can someone explain how I can exceed that limit?  Can I only add new pictures by deleting the previous ones I've submitted?

I don't know if this is against the rules to even mention, but I'm also going to post the larger pictures on Head Fi's Stax thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a total newb so please forgive any unintentional idiocy. I got an old pair of SR-5 Gold with a SRD 6/SB adaptor and although I use them infrequently and give them time to build up charge when I turn them on,the R channel definitely seems to be producing more volume than the L. Any suggestions? I love them,the sound is unlike anything I've heard in 40+ years of collecting audio headgear so any/all comments appreciated.

That is quite normal for these old sets and there can be a number of failure points, bad cable, corrosion inside the driver or the resistive coating on the diaphragm has started to break down. 

18 hours ago, RodCan said:

Hi,

I'm a total newb so please forgive any unintentional idiocy. I got an old pair of SR-5 Gold with a SRD 6/SB adaptor and although I use them infrequently and give them time to build up charge when I turn them on,the R channel definitely seems to be producing more volume than the L. Any suggestions? I love them,the sound is unlike anything I've heard in 40+ years of collecting audio headgear so any/all comments appreciated.

Since you're using a passive driver box, you can compensate for the volume mismatch if you have a balance function on your amp. What are you using to power the SRD 6/SB? I have one of those myself. I might pick up a set of the SR-5 Gold. They are quite gorgeous phones!

Can anybody from the Stax braintrust offer some recommendations in terms of good earpads for the Stax Lambda? The foam on mine has started turning to dust, and the pleather is just blurk.

I've looked at original and 3rd party, and the pickings seem really slim. The current EP-507 leather pads look a bit nicer than the last set I bought, and they should fit the old Lambda, but the price is a bit nutty. I have also seen some 3D printed converters for sale to use more traditional pads, which is very intriguing. Although I am pretty handy with 3D printing, so printing my own and using a set of angled Brainwavs pads is definitely an option.

Is there anything I have missed?

30 minutes ago, Tachikoma said:

I've heard nice things about Vesper audio, they are probably the nicest looking 3rd party earpads you can get. Its that or the adapter I guess.

Ah, Vesper, thanks for the reminder! I found their website a while back but didn't see any prices and it all seemed a bit weird. A little more research, and I see that they are just a supplier of fully customised pads.

I had a fairly good experience with Vesper, they obliged my request to replicate my Mk1 pads' dimensions fairly closely. Whether those two pads sound the same or not is something I'm going to properly test once I get a pair of in-ear mics... in terms of comfort they beat my Mk1 pads by actually sealing on my head though! I think my head is not the right size for my Mk1 😅

• Like 1