Volcanic eruption here in Iceland

spritzer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't geothermal activity pretty much pay for heat in Iceland?

Yup, 99% of our electricity and heating are "green" with hydro and geothermal plants. Even in areas believed to be "cold" we have started to drill deeper and deeper (2000+meters) and discovered hot water, enough for heating our homes. Where I live we don't have enough groundwater so instead we use 90

^That's pretty cool. My building is designated as "green" and let's just say that we have a way to go.

It also means I can run Class A beasts all day without feeling guilty. :)

It's ironic, though, that mother nature rewards Iceland's green efforts by spewing lava and ash all over the place on occasion and causing evacuations. That's not really a nice thank you.

Hehe, good point. This one is pretty small though but could turn nasty if it were to spread into the volcano next to it. It's amazing just how widespread the effects can be from something like this. In 1783-1785 we had a terrible eruption up in the center of Iceland, the largest in recorded history. It not only devastated our countryside but also was a contributing factor in the French revolution a few years later. So much ash and gas was released into the atmosphere that harvests all over Europe failed.

It not only devastated our countryside but also was a contributing factor in the French revolution a few years later. So much ash and gas was released into the atmosphere that harvests all over Europe failed.

That's awesome, I certainly did not know that.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought you guys would like this, the volcano on a live video feed. Click any of the links for a different view point. :)

Also, some members of the Top Gear team are up on the glacier now filming some crazy shit which we should see in the summer.

I think last weekend there where at least two tourists that died there (third one survived). Stupid tourists with no real life survival skills with a car and running out of gas. Probably ameriCANs, since they won't tell the nationality.

The two people who died were Icelandic but utterly clueless. They set off in a Honda CRV not equipped for heading into the highlands. They didn't have a clue where they were going, how to get there or even basic points of reference in the landscape. Now they It's a tragic story about people doing everything wrong, the car running out of gas so they decided to leave it and walk separately to lower ground. If they had just stayed in the car they would have been cold but they would have survived.

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened as people think it is just an easy stroll on a summers day to go and see the volcano, which is very far from true. Just this morning it was reported that people had tried to enter the first crater (which has no lava flowing now) which is basically suicide. :palm:

On a lighter note, this is cool. Damn Americans spying on us though... :rant:

I think it was Clarkson who said that car accidents are worse in Iceland because you'll probably know the person you run over.

Being closely related is more like it... :D