i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

We crossed the 50k resistors and one board is now working. Very close on balance, millivolts, and about 3v on the offset without much work. Now working on the other board which does have some fried parts due to the 1486 being in backwards before, looks like 2 of the 4686 were done in.

We left in the 1.2k for now since we didn't have the 1350.

Listening to music with the 009 and it is quite nice. I know I probably shouldn't use these phones, but...

Switched on the T2 for just a minute, swapped back and forth a few times just for giggles. A T2 it is not, but that makes sense. The sound is richer, thicker than the T2, less refinement I would say. Now this could be great for poor recordings and such. The T2 tone with the tubes I am using just seems more right. It's been on for about 45 mins. and the heat is very low, nice, that is a big plus over the T2 (unless you live in Iceland grin.gif ).

Is there any burn-in for this type of amp?

Listening to music with the 009 and it is quite nice. I know I probably shouldn't use these phones, but...

Switched on the T2 for just a minute, swapped back and forth a few times just for giggles. A T2 it is not, but that makes sense. The sound is richer, thicker than the T2, less refinement I would say. Now this could be great for poor recordings and such. The T2 tone with the tubes I am using just seems more right. It's been on for about 45 mins. and the heat is very low, nice, that is a big plus over the T2 (unless you live in Iceland grin.gif ).

Is there any burn-in for this type of amp?

Congrats on the successful power up!

The voltages change a bit , maybe around 10 volts or so on the balance, possibly more on the offset during warm-up. Just adjust to zero at the start, then after an hour. I readjusted to 0 after an hour plus tonight, will check periodically the next few times I run, then leave it alone. I actually think I may be done adjusting already and everything seems to be under 1 volt.

The idea with everything including the very stable power supply is to set the thing

once after about an hour of warmup, and likely never touch it again. 10 to 20 volts

of offset for electrostatics is nothing. My T2 stays at -13 volts and its just too

much work to open it up and adjust it. Has not drifted in 2 years.

This amp is no T2. But it is pretty close, and about 15% of the parts cost.

A hybrid T2 output stage with a solid state front end is next.