Ultrasone Special Edition 10s. $2750 MSRP

Eric5676

Maybe an open back Ultrasone won't suck, but I seriously doubt it'll not suck $2750 worth. I'm sure there will be those who will like them and be looking for ways to throw their money away, but 2010 sets. Ultrasone is going to be selling these for a long long time.

What they need is to get them featured in Robb Report, there's a lot of rich idiots who hunt for expensive toys.

I was focused on other hobbies for some time and I was just directed to this thread to illustrate that head-case has evolved into yet another place with a rather bad signal/noise ratio where personal experience isn't mandatory.

Just like head-fi with the benefit of no ads ..........:o

I hope these 3 pages of wasted time are an exception of the rule that unsubstantiated bla without any personal experience isn't what head-case is about.

The look and feel has changed anyway since I was here last time and maybe such threads are marked now with a sign that indicates "thread contains no valuable information and certainly no first hand experience".:)

Years ago I had bought postjack's Ed 9 but it turned out to be slightly defective so all impressions based on that specific exemplar are worthless.It wasn't that obvious without a faultless pair as reference.

Ultrasone has exchanged the defective pair for a perfect one without any hassles so there's nothing to complain about the after sales service.

In the end the bass heavy Ed. 9s weren't exactly my cup of tea so I had to sell them but nevertheless I think they were decent headphones if you need something closed that's (trans-)portable and quite easy to drive and don't want to stick something into your ears.

When I think about it they were by far the best portable headphones I've owned so far.

From my point of view this proves Ultrasone is capable of constructing decent headphones.It's just not that easy to engineer closed headphones fully competitive with open headphones.

For me only the Stax SR-4070s do the trick but those are extremely bulky, heavy as stone and in no way portable.

$3K to find out if Ultrasone finally got it right?
I guess I don't have to buy them for an audition.

I do live quite central in the biggest german sprawl with lots of HiFi boutiques nearby.Should be no problem to test them out this way.

I'd certainly prefer less expensive high-end headphones without the bling but there are probably way more rich fools than headphone afficionados willing to spend $$$$ on special headphones so I can understand the marketing decision.

I was focused on other hobbies for some time and I was just directed to this thread to illustrate that head-case has evolved into yet another place with a rather bad signal/noise ratio where personal experience isn't mandatory.

Just like head-fi with the benefit of no ads ..........:o

I hope these 3 pages of wasted time are an exception of the rule that unsubstantiated bla without any personal experience isn't what head-case is about.

Do you have any personal experience with the headphone that's the subject of this thread?

The look and feel has changed anyway since I was here last time and maybe such threads are marked now with a sign that indicates "thread contains no valuable information and certainly no first hand experience".:)

What are you contributing to the thread?

Years ago I had bought postjack's Ed 9 but it turned out to be slightly defective so all impressions based on that specific exemplar are worthless.It wasn't that obvious without a faultless pair as reference.

Ultrasone has exchanged the defective pair for a perfect one without any hassles so there's nothing to complain about the after sales service.

In the end the bass heavy Ed. 9s weren't exactly my cup of tea so I had to sell them but nevertheless I think they were decent headphones if you need something closed that's (trans-)portable and quite easy to drive and don't want to stick something into your ears.

When I think about it they were by far the best portable headphones I've owned so far.

From my point of view this proves Ultrasone is capable of constructing decent headphones.It's just not that easy to engineer closed headphones fully competitive with open headphones.

Portable headphones supposedly made well is proof that they can make good high end $3000 headphones? That's kind of a reach IMO.

For me only the Stax SR-4070s do the trick but those are extremely bulky, heavy as stone and in no way portable.

I guess I don't have to buy them for an audition.

I do live quite central in the biggest german sprawl with lots of HiFi boutiques nearby.Should be no problem to test them out this way.

I'd certainly prefer less expensive high-end headphones without the bling but there are probably way more rich fools than headphone afficionados willing to spend $$$$ on special headphones so I can understand the marketing decision.

Then please audition some and let us know what you think since it's apparently so easy for you to do so. :)

If the consensus for most members who've heard Ultrasones is that they don't like them and that they're overpriced. It's only natural for this to carry forward from those "most members".

Is it better to be wary and then defer to a positive report, or to wax lyrical and defer to a negative report?

Over here, if we are wary, and then someone posts that "actually, they're rather good" that'll earn far more traction than the other side, where everyone will wax poetic about how fucking good these things must be, and will ride right over the top of any report that says otherwise.

FOTM power.

I look forward to whatever you have to say, good or ill, if you get the chance to hear these. However, they hold no curiousity for me personally either way.

If they'd tried to make a reasonably balanced-sounding headphone, instead of the boom-box-for-your-head shit with the pointless unusual metals, I'm sure they could make a decent and reasonably-priced pair of headphones. As it is, the Shures I heard the other day sounded better out of a Pico Slim + iPhone than all the shiny-metal Ultrasones I've tried. If the Shures didn't cost twice what they do in the US over here, then I'd pick up a pair of 440s for travelling with.