Beyerdynamic T5p

Dusty Chalk

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading this thread gave me lots of information about these headphones, yeah!

Joining this forum seems to have been a big mistake [runs back to head-fi screaming]

Good plan, but we have sleeper cells on Head-Fi too, so you can't escape that easily. :)

I talked to Gunter Weidemann at CES (beyer's cheif designer) and he mentioned that they changed the foam in the earpads. I had significant difficulty getting them to seal and deliver bass when I measured them because the previous earpar cushioning material was a bit stiff.

Also, I'm a big dissbeliever in the idea that headphone makers have "house sounds" as a general rule. Most makers don't have the technical chops and control of the end product's sound to target a particular response. There are exceptions to the rule, IMHO, however.

Grado has a house sound, but only because they take zero risk in developing new product. Adding an "i" and fat cables doesn't constitute product development, I reckon.

AT is pretty consistently fast and thin sounding.

It seems to me the beyer does to some extent, with a little warmer sound than AT. I think Gunter is a good engineer and can hit his target fairly well, but I think he does set his target a bit too far on the bright side. I don't quite know why.

If Sennheiser has a house sound, it's right down the middle, but just like everyone else, they miss the mark and wobble around thier some. For example, the 650 is a bit too warm, and the 800 is a bit too thin.

I'm going to need to spend moar time with the T1 before I call it overpriced, but I'd rather listen to a T1 than an 800, but I'd take an LCD2 over both.

JACOB.jpg

Never even asked a question as it did not seem anyone cared about the actual headphone.

I talked to Gunter Weidemann at CES (beyer's cheif designer) and he mentioned that they changed the foam in the earpads. I had significant difficulty getting them to seal and deliver bass when I measured them because the previous earpar cushioning material was a bit stiff.

Also, I'm a big dissbeliever in the idea that headphone makers have "house sounds" as a general rule. Most makers don't have the technical chops and control of the end product's sound to target a particular response. There are exceptions to the rule, IMHO, however.

Grado has a house sound, but only because they take zero risk in developing new product. Adding an "i" and fat cables doesn't constitute product development, I reckon.

AT is pretty consistently fast and thin sounding.

It seems to me the beyer does to some extent, with a little warmer sound than AT. I think Gunter is a good engineer and can hit his target fairly well, but I think he does set his target a bit too far on the bright side. I don't quite know why.

If Sennheiser has a house sound, it's right down the middle, but just like everyone else, they miss the mark and wobble around thier some. For example, the 650 is a bit too warm, and the 800 is a bit too thin.

I'm going to need to spend moar time with the T1 before I call it overpriced, but I'd rather listen to a T1 than an 800, but I'd take an LCD2 over both.

I do not believe in house-sound too much either and I do not dismiss anything based on its brand like some people in this thread.

I ordered T5Ps and should have them soon and see how I like them. I am looking for the ultimate portable headphone and these were on my list to try.

I disagree with both counts. Beyer is known for its treble peak which is on almost all of its high end headphones. The T1 would be known as a dark headphone if it weren't for that treble peak. My theory is it's part of Beyer's target equalization response curve.

Going to have to disagree with you here too, at least for now I think both the LCD2 and the T1 are worse than the HD800, depending on the upstream components.

It's harder to pay for legitimacy these days.

Heh, reminds me of when I ordered some stuff from Meier waaaaay back, price dropped hugely on one item between when I ordered and when he actually shipped, but like hell he was going to give me the lower price. If I wasn't a such a complacent noob I'd have cancelled that shit.

I hadn't heard of the Stepdance before so tried to find the pointer to Meier Audio on HF. It appears that Meier Audio is no longer a sponsor of HF.

Meier shows up on the HF home page as a sponsor with a link to Jan's site, but he's not listed in the Premier Sponsor Forum or Sponsor Forum.

post-905-0-19139200-1295257128_thumb.gif

There's more discussion here: Stepdance

• 4 weeks later...

bright and bass weak. nice.

Yes the sound is bright, the bass is very weak, but this is not nice.

Ipod with "bass boost" EQ gives only a mild bass. Lower grade mobile player won't even play the bass in T5P, a good one may be on par or slightly better than ipod.

My old Onkyo 876 AVR allows only +10dB bass adjustment and the bass is poor.

A good PC soundcard can get the bass out, and with maximum bass adjustment the bass is execessive but without distortion, T5P can handle it. Some other headphones may surrender at that extreme setting.

Sound volume more than 11% would be too loud (to me) and bass boost setting more than 6dB will be too much.

CreativePanel.jpg

If you love bass, T5P is not for you. It can handle heavy bass, but I don't think any mobile player can provide that type of setting.

Other than bass, no negative comment. high & mid is ok, very comfortable wear. I feel T5P emphasizes more on human voice than background music.

Because of the poor bass, I am holding back on their 5.1 base station. That would be no fun at all watching movie with lousy bass.

Heh $1300 headphones from bass-boosted iPod/soundcard... that's a sensible allocation of resources.

This is where T5P is targetted on, it is for "mobility"; if anyone plans to use headphone at home only then go for T1 + good DAC.

The most frequently used mobile players are ipod, phones, laptop, mobile mp3 players; or something else that I missed out.

T5P is supposed to plug into these players directly and get the sound out, with little or no bass.

T5P is for people who loves natural sound, as close as possible to studio preset features, which at the end produces "plain" bass to most of us. T1 is the same too i think, although never tested.

Last time I heard the CSO or any live performance, natural sound includes bass. Not sure what you are getting at above? Plain bass? Never heard the term...

Err, my english is not good, that may not be the correct word, "weak bass" could be a better one. What I mean is at neutral amp, T5P tries to produce sound as close to what is recorded in the studio. If there is bass recorded, then it will be heard, but will not exaggerate it.

At the same song, some other headphones can give punchy bass even with neutral amp. However this is because of that headphone itself has intentionally boosted the lower frequency signal. The sound produced is not exactly the same as what is recorded. I can't give good example... Sennheiser IE8 earphone may be one of them.

Some people like this type of head/earphone with boosted bass, including myself.

I have been listening to music and movie with boosted bass, so when i first heard T5P my feeling is "huh!? how come the bass is so weak? Where is the boom boom?"

Earlier I have a very wrong perception; that I think the more expensive the headphone is, the heavier and deeper bass it will produce. Now my understanding is how close it is to the recording source.