Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Thanksgiving report:

Caramelized carrot soup

Garlic confit on sourdough toast (made the confit, not the bread)

Turkey leg confit

Sous vide turkey breast

Jus gras

Deep-fried brussels sprouts

Sweet potato puree

Fingerling potato confit

Stuffing puree

Carbonated cranberries (don't ask)

All of these things came from Modernist Cuisine at Home, and their website.

Everything on this list was a first-time preparation for me...which is why we didn't start the soup until 6:30 pm—yikes. :)

Yum, pecan pie! I was going to make one but my son requested a key lime pie. Made two key lime and one blueberry.

Turkey is on the smoker. Jp's breast goes on at 1:15 and it's quite a nice breast.

Mike it was the best breast I have ever seen or tasted !!

Seriously both my parents and I thought it was the best turkey we had ever had and we've eaten some pretty great Thanksgiving turkeys

• 2 weeks later...

Jacob, please open a restaurant.

Jeffy, maybe you can be sous chef.

Mikey, whiskey sommelier.

I'd eat there every damn night.

Let's do it! :)

Shelly, I agree! Chard would have been wonderful...but I've been cooking so much I just grabbed the spinach in the freezer (horrors!), added some of my Italian olive oil from my recent garlic confit, and made it happen as quickly as I could. There's no way anyone would have seen fit to comment past the tenderloin anyway; I think additional effort might have been lost.

Additionally, I can't keep cooking multiple elaborate dishes every single night. I'll slowly go insane (and quickly become Jeffy the Hutt); not that I'm too far from that already. ;)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html

I tried that once.  I don't have a real fryer, but damn did it smoke and boil when I put the belly in the oil.  Of course, the oil was over the limit of what my thermometer could read at the time (500F).