Which Cooking Are You?

luvdunhill

Big Fondue dinner for some friends. Standard cheese with bread/veggies/fruit then a broth with shrimp/fillet/chicken. Made up a bunch of sauces for the meat. Had plans for a chocolate with brownies/poundcake/banana/strawberries/marshmallows/rice krispie treats but we were so stuffed it didn't happen. I know whats for desert tomorrow :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I am curious about your opinion about using cheap wine for cooking. I am planning to make some beef short ribs tomorrow and I bought a bottle of $3 "Cul de Sac Cabernet" (probably similar to Trader Joe's 2 buck Chuck) to use. I haven't tasted it but the person at the store said it was fine for cooking. Also, a friend of mine tried it and said it was not super great but "drinkable." Do you think it makes a difference if I use a wine that I would actually *choose* to drink? Usually, I have a bottle of red wine open and pour some in the dish but since this uses a whole bottle, I thought I would save the good stuff for sipping.

Edited by shellylh

I have had bad luck with using better wine for cooking.  My understanding is, the cheaper the better -- and the reasoning, I was explained, is that it was more sugar and less dry, which is what you want (though in my case, it was Marsala).  I wouldn't mind an extended answer to Shelly's question, because my experience is minimal.  I mean, I'm a ... I'm a ... I'm a bachelor, myself, so minimal.

Another cooking question.

I bought the beef short ribs yesterday and they were packed in the plastic container. I waited too long to cook them today so I'll have to make them tomorrow. However, I had already taken them out frigerator for a short time and rinsed them in some water (the temperature was probably about room temperature... it certainly wasn't that cold). Thus they heated up a bit while before I repacked them in a paper towel and press and seal and put them back in the fridge. I am worried that this may cause them to go bad before tomorrow.

Should I be concerned. They certainly smelled fine today.

John, we steam Swiss chard about once a week and it is really great (similar to spinach, around 15-20 minutes in our steamer). I like to put a little butter on it but you don't have to.

Last week we made "Polenta with Garlicky Greens" (from the book mentioned in the link) which uses spinach and swiss chard. It was also very good and easy to make (we usedabout twice as much garlic though). http://edibleventures.blogspot.com/2010/01/polenta-with-garlicky-greens.html?m=1

John, we steam Swiss chard about once a week and it is really great (similar to spinach, around 15-20 minutes in our steamer). I like to put a little butter on it but you don't have to.

Last week we made "Polenta with Garlicky Greens" (from the book mentioned in the link) which uses spinach and swiss chard. It was also very good and easy to make (we usedabout twice as much garlic though). http://edibleventures.blogspot.com/2010/01/polenta-with-garlicky-greens.html?m=1

there aren't any real easy recipes, per se... you can basically treat it like spinach. it's very good creamed, on crostini with beef marrow and some good french cheese melted on top.
Thanks!

I had good luck with this easy recipe:

Roasted Swiss Chard with Feta

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-swiss-chard-with-feta/

Edited by jvlgato

It was excellent.  If only my tummy were bigger though. 

As I was making dinner, I thought to myself how it would be useful to have a larger enamel-coated cast iron pot to cook for larger groups.  The one I have is 4.5qt.   Then I remembered how expensive they are.   Maybe that would be a good dual Christmas gift from both sets of parents.  I should check out the difference between the Lodge and Le Creuset and Staub.  

Edited by shellylh

^Looks great John.

i have a Lodge and a Sur La Table.  both are thicker than any of the Le Creuset or Staub cast iron i've seen, and thicker is good.  the 8QT SLT dutch oven is only $80.  mine (in the more attractive, but discontinued, Burgundy color) is fantastic.  my Lodge, a 6 QT unit, is also fantastic.  the SLT and the 6 QT Lodge units have metal knobs on the lids, which is very nice.

Damn, the SLT is a great price!  I'll head over there this weekend and take a look at them.  I switched out the plastic knob on my Le Creuset for a metal one.